• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exploding M1009 spare

3dubs

If it came with the truck you have no idea how old it is. Dry rot sets in and the rubber gets brittle. Then when it gets hot the air expands. If it is 105 outside you know it is much hotter in the truck. So the tire expnds and the brittle rubber breaks. I just got I trailer and checked the tires and they looked great. I even checked for cracks in the rubber and all lokked good. After about 15 miles the rubber came flying off the tires. I have seen tires blow like that inside cars here in Houston during the summer. Check and see if it had dry rot. Think about it most of the time the spare does not get changed like the other four tires. If you bought the other four tires they should be fine. You can always have a tire shop check them. Most are honest.

Pawnshop

The highest temp I have seen inside my M1009 this summer with the windows rolled up is 165, and I am only a few miles from where Rory's tire exploded so I suspect it was the same in there.

kentuckycucv

Tires are designed and built to rot. I got my little old lady aunt's oldsmobile with 7000 miles on it. 11 years old...Good year tires 1/2 inch of tread cracks all in the sidewalls from dry rot. I replaced all the tires. The American way is called "Built in obsolescence" Build it to bust. ....But not the cucv mine will live forever.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here it is on the new shoes.

They are BF Goodrich 33-12.50R15.
Bigger than stock, yes, but they don't look that much different, I like big tires, and it's my truck! And they are not silly big on there.

Those who assured me that 12.50s would absolutely not rub on a stock 1009 were almost right....:p
There is a small lip on the very inside rear edge of the front right fender that just barely (maybe 1/8") clipped the outer edges of the bigger lugs at just the right combination of turn and flex. A few minutes with a Dremel and vice-grips solved that.
I would bet the less aggressive tread tires (similar to stock) wouldn't have rubbed at all.

That is probably one of the ugliest 1009's around, it has a date with some sanding supplies and paint in the not too distant future.

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

jumpmasterjim

I was driving down the highway last year when the entire tread blew off my left rear tire. still had air in it. Scared the heck out of me. I was traveling at 70+ in the fast lane too. I changed the tire out and Charlie Miked.

NMC_EXP

Rubber parts including tires are degraded by:
  1. Heat
  2. UV light
  3. Oxygen
  4. Ozone
These four factors cause chemical reactions in the rubber which breaks the long polymer molecules down into progressively shorter pieces.

The visual evidence of this can be seen in the sidewalls and tread of tires on vehicles which have been parked for a long time. You also see it on spare tires. It is commonly called "dry rot".

The reason dry rot happens more on stored vehicles and spares is that the rubber contains ingredients which slowly bleed to the surface of the rubber and form a sacrifical film. The oxygen, ozone and UV light attack this film rather than the rubber itself.

When the surface film is used up, the only way to renew it is to run the tire. The tire heats up, the rubber flexes, and more of the anti-degredant chemicals leach to the surface.

During the economic slowdown in the early eighties, Caterpillar Tractor could not sell machines and many new ones were parked outdoors for a few years before being sold. CAT had to replace millions of dollars worth of tires on the rubber tired vehicles in storage because the sidewalls dry rotted.

The rubber anti-oxidants and anti-ozonants in use today were invented during the Korean war. When the US got involved it was found that the tires on tactical vehicles stored after WW2 had dry rotted so badly they were unusable.

Stuff like Armor All will act as a barrier to oxygen and ozone for tires on parked vehicles. Black, water based tire paint is probably best helps because it blocks UV light as well. Using covers will keep them in the shade and stop UV light damage but won't stop oxygen and ozone.

Regards

Jim

Sgt Hulka

Most definitely the cumulative effects of the sun. I had one identical to it in the back of my M1009 that had spent 10 years sitting for the US Forest Service. Literally looks like it exploded. Same effect on the mounted tires as well. Great tread, but lumpy and coming apart. Too bad, they were great tires...

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought ugly went with the whole "Marines" theme. If you want pretty get an "Air Force" 1009.
Ha! :-D

Well, the Marine stuff starts out pretty, it just doesn't stay that way for long! Mine will eventually look like a Marine truck mostly driven by USAF folks. But not Sarge's USAF folks, who acted more like Marines...

Or were you talking about me...? :roll:

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I really can't be too critical seing as where it came from. Kind of funny that there are 5 1009's in the club, 3 of them were once mine, and now I don't own 1.
Have to correct that. Andy just bought a 1009 so now there are 6 and while I did not own his, it is coming to my house along with the 1010.

You can now call me the CUCV Whisperer instead of Sunshine.

waayfast

Had a Chevy van that was parked in the driveway one afternoon with the step daughter and her new(NOT well liked boyfriend)sitting in it when the spare on the rear rack blew!!!The look on the little idiots face was priceless!!!:twisted: Don't think the wife was ever totally convinced of my innocence in the matter.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks