• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exterior Latex/Acrylic House Paints

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Outstanding Mikey, just an FYI. When the paint first goes on it doesn't look like the correct color. When she dries it's an exact match;-)
  1. Ok I used wsucougarx mix for the 383 green, brown and black . My latest M890 was screaming to ditch it's wildland yellow FD paint job and go to 3 color Nato. The yellow paint had been put on by a pro so decided to use it as the base. Had to spend an hour with heat gun and scraper to get the FD lettering of, then wiped it down with lacquer thinner. Did the whole truck with the green and was not real happy as it did not seem green enough, looked more towards field drab/dark green, I have another M890 that is solid field drab that will be 4 color MERDC. Stopped for the night and got up this morning and presto it had lightened up and looked more like carc green! Went ahead and added the brown and black, now I am most happy with the results. The other bonus with using a water base paint is I had over spray on all the glass all it took was a damp towel and over spray was gone.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikey

I am so impressed with behr that my 68 will be receiving a full behr treatment in 3 color camo next week if the weather improves. New thread will follow.
Mike, do you have the codes yet for black and brown or did you use the codes from page 1?

Thanks

Mikey

SteveKuhn

I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with the acrylic porch/patio paints in place of house paint. Not flat - satin - less than semi-gloss. Also flows more like enamel, esp. with Floetrol added. I've been testing the Ben Moore patio product and their flat Ben line with a very fine foam roller and it's dangerously close to sprayed from a foot away. Virtually no roller texture. Also plan to try a Wagner sprayer I got on sale.

Also: Keep in mind that the base will affect the color formula by a few shades, even within the same manufacturer. Found that out in this testing, too.

Vintage iron

Here is some pictures of some paint sample I am trying from Benjamin Moore. I am not a big fan of the CARC colors. The green is to light and so is the brown. I wanted a darker palette on my M813.

(1) the first picture is all the color samples on my truck. You can see the difference beside the original paint.

(2) The first close up picture is Fatique green with classic brown next to it. you can see the difference next to the CARC green.

(3) the next picture is River Rock with classic brown next to it. River rock is a match to WWII low luster. It is just flat now.

(4) in Onyx black flat

Attachments

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to let all you house painters know, HomeDepot has house paint on sale this weekend. I believe the radio said five dollars a gal. off. They mentioned Behr paint as one.

Vintage iron

Here are some pictures of a sample area I painted with Benjamin Moore premium flat (river Rock) I matched it to a Original 1965 USMC Jerry can I found in my buddies shed. The can was covered in oil. All I did was clean the can with kitchen cleaner. I wire cup wheeled the whole area of the truck to remove loose paint and dirt, then wiped the area with lacquer thinner, primed with rustoleum, let dry and rolled on the Benjamin Moore. I really like the USMC olive drab in flat. Semper Fi

Attachments

Last edited:

N1265

Great Thread! - Thanks for BEHR numbers. I am going to match the Krylon Camo Rattle can. That way I will make for easy touch down the road (not sure how the Kyrlon over latex will work). I will post picts when done with the M105. Attached is the HD BEHR match to the Krylon Camo

I did the same thing for the same reason, except I used Olympic from Lowes. here is what I can tell you :

I have ben using Acrylic Laytex on my M880 since 2005. I have used S&W super paint and Oylimpic. I have used both Krylon and Rustoleum over the Acrylic without any issues. I have also used laqure based primer surfacer over the acrylic without any problems ( light / med coats )

However, When I go to touch up with the krylon, the sheen does not match. It seems to be glossier than the Flat exterior paint that I used. so if you do this you may want to put some thought into going with a satin finish verses the flat. But then again, I do not know if the sheen is "standardized " within the industry. flat for one company may be a satin or even a semi-gloss for another.

another thing I can tell you. the only complaint I have with using the acrylic on the truck is that gas DOES stain it. so be careful when filling up
( do not over fill ) it is for this reason that I doubt that the paint formula is the same for CARC and the over the counter acrylic. ( unless you guys who are using the waterborne CARC have the same issue )

Keep us posted how you make out .

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got some Behr Exterior that is a close match to the IDF Sinai Grey I was looking for. The only problem is I took the advice from one of the other threads that flat had a similar sheen as OD 24087. It does not. It is FLAT (as the name would suggest). So now I'm going to paint it in the flat for a base coat and have to try semi-gloss to get the appropriate sheen.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I went ahead and tried to MERDC my other M890 today. It has been field drab for the last 3 years. I did cheat a little as I used Rapco sand all other 3 colors are house paint, the green should be greener tomorrow.

Attachments

Vintage iron

To answer some other members questions. The paint I used was Benjamin Moore (Regal Select, high build exterior flat finish) it is acrylic. I want the paint to be FLAT on my truck other wise I would have used alkyd enamel to match the original sheen. Here is better picture next to the Original USMC Jerry Can. I want others to see what can be done, I hope this helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

topgun217

After reading this very informative thread, I set out for the Depot today. I came back with two large samples, $2 for each. I am painting my M1009 in 3 color, what is the paint code for the brown/tan.....the brown color code on page 1 appeared to be too dark. If I missed something I'm sorry.

This is a great thread!:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks