• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra Fuel Tank

shannondeese

I have a 40 Gallon tank from a Dodge tug I am stripping down. I want to install it in the bed of my bobbed deuce as an aux tank. Has anyone put a second tank in a deuce and if so what am I getting myself into as far as plumbing goes. Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I looked into finding a tank that fit in between the frame rails. To fit under the bed, it would need to be 6" tall. Not a very common size. I ended up getting a 120gal transfer tank to put in my bed. I think I may hook up a stock in tank pump to transfer fuel from the big tank to the smaller tank. Hope this helps.

wsucougarx

I am currently in the planning phase for this project as well. I'm going to put a 50 gallon deuce tank in the bed of the truck. The reason I went with a deuce tank is more or less because with the mounting brackets, it'll keep the tank off the bed. I'm also going to use the intank pump on a switch to simply feed the main tank. I wanted to have keep the plumbing to a very minimum. I also will need to take into consideration the fact the aux tank will be well above the main tank. Of course, gravity will want to continuously feed the lowest of the two. I need to figure out how to oversome this. It may be as simply of looping the feeder fuel line up above the level of the aux fuel tank. Of course everything looks good on paper but I need to go out an test it.

Oh wow, this is my 2000th post.

Green_gator

If you mount the aux tank in the bed would a simple fix work? I am thinking that plumbing a hose to run from the aux tank drain plug down to the main tank with a simple valve to turn off and on. You could not transfer fuel while on the move but it would make for a simple way to do the transfer.

Sephirothq

What about putting a fuel tank where the spare tire is now? Can't you get one from another duece and mount it on the other side of the truck?

chris837rj

I am in the process of mounting a 300 gallon fuel tank in the front of the bed between the benches. I figure the only way to feed the main tank is by pump or gravity. The main tank has a vent line that vents not much higher than the tank itself so a constant gravity feed system won't work without a valve to shut it off when the tank is full. It would all drain out of the vent line. Plus you would have the problem of needing a tight fuel cap.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought of that idea also, mounting one where the spare tire is. Would a deuce tank fit there? maybe the frame rails are simetrical and its just a bolt in swap? Older Chevy trucks had a simple electric switch on the dash that could switch from tank to tank and also switch sending units so the gauge read correctly. Ofcourse then the problem of 24 volt comes into play, but maybe even if you just used the switch then used another electric valve of some sort to do switch tanks, at least the switch may solve the problem of using one gauge for 2 tanks. Did the M818's ever have dual tanks? It seems like i recall them having some kind of fuel switch on the dash....then again i could be having a flash back from something else! :wink:

why dont you get a slip tank and then you can take it out when you need more space in your box .they have either manual pumps or 12 volt electric . easy to fill your truck tank when you need it.sort of like the pump for filling your quad on the new toy hauller 5th wheel campers.i have a 100gal one and it sits on a frame i made of angle iron and sq tubing.fits either the deuce or my 1/2 ton truck. a 2in rachet strap keeps it from moving

Last edited:

greenjeepster

What about putting a fuel tank where the spare tire is now? Can't you get one from another duece and mount it on the other side of the truck?
That is what I would do. If you mount them at the same level they can be connected together with just a hose and the fuel pump would draw from both evenly. Also your fuel gauge would show the level of both tanks.

rmgill

You mean like this?

Rough details of what I had to do in order to make this work.

1. Source a second tank with pump.
2. Source a set of fuel tank hangers.
3. Find a fuel selector valve from an M818 or other 5 ton with 2 tanks.
4. Find a relay and switch
5. find a second fuel tank level gauge.
6. source misc hardware, hoses, fittings copper line, and nuts/bolts for the setup

1st step, take down the spare tire hanger and loosen hardware on the inside of the frame rails where the hoses and wiring are so you don't cut them when drilling.
2nd, mark the hangers and center punch then drill the holes.
3rd, hang the fuel tank hangers and tank.
4th Fab up a new vent line and tee it into the existing vent line. If you split your vents before you should have an input already. This is iirc, 1/16's line (small stuff).
5th install the fuel valve after attaching all the usual hoses.
6th install the fuel gauge in the spot to the left of the existing gauge, add a one way switch on the dash to control the relay.
7. install the relay in a useful spot. I elected to install an aluminum box on the bed near the existing tank so I didn't have to hack the wiring hardness to find the correct wire. This way power runs to the tank but is diverted to go to the box with the relay control wire from the dash energizing the relay to select the left side pump. I'll otherwise power the right side pump when the relay coil is unenergized. Thus it fails to using the right side tank if there's a relay or switch problem.
8. plumb up the tank and fuel lines to the fuel selector valve.
9. test it and now you have 110 gallons of fuel good for ~1000 miles on a good day.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sephirothq

You mean like this?

Yes something like that.
Can you go into detail on how you did it?

I was thinking of doing something like the M52 trucks have. Using the existing lift pump in the secondary tank and just pushing a button or a switch to transfer fuel to the existing tank.

rmgill

Check my edits....

I wanted to have the ability to select tanks so if I got a dose of bad fuel in one tank OR if I wanted to run bio, I could select back and forth. The other issue with a transfer system is that if you don't pay close attention to the transfer, you can over fill the target tank.

rmgill

just asking but where do you guys go that you need 100 gallons of fuel without seeing a gas station?
Welll, since sometimes drive back and forth between Atlanta and the Philly area, I wanted to have extra fuel. This allows me to avoid paying exorbitant fuel taxes and I just fill up one time in Virginia on the way. Ga has cheap fuel taxes. So does VA. Fill up in Winchester, VA at the Flying J (or who ever has the best fuel) and I'm good.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought of that idea also, mounting one where the spare tire is. Would a deuce tank fit there?
I looked into that. The problem I found is that the fuel filler cap would be under the bed. Once you raise the sleeve inside the cap, there is no room to get a filler nozzle in there.

It could be fueled without the sleeve raised but would cause foaming problems when near full.

rmgill

I looked into that. The problem I found is that the fuel filler cap would be under the bed. Once you raise the sleeve inside the cap, there is no room to get a filler nozzle in there.

It could be fueled without the sleeve raised but would cause foaming problems when near full.
Actually I have Less foaming issues when pumping on a high speed pump into an open tank. If I am filling out of jerry cans, sure, I want the sleeve riser/strainer but normally at good stations I don't worry too much about that.

One COULD modify the tank and move the filler if you really wanted to, but I've not had any issues filling with the left side tank filler partially covered by the bed. I can still get the filler strainer in and out though and I CAN fill with it in, just no lifted to it's high position.

See these two posts...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/31580-dual-tanks.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/8719-2nd-fuel-tank-my-deuce.html

Sephirothq

Ok i see what you did there.
The fuel selector switch is a good way to go, it is a few more parts and a bit more effort. But i think it is one of the best ways to do it.