• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

daddy2

Well here are a few pics of the air conditioner rack I am making. Like I talked about before, The air is seasonal so it will come out in fall and back in during spring. But I still need a tough rack to holp up during the off roading. This aint no winnebago, so 2*2*1/8" angle was the way to go. I was hoping to get it done today but work needed me to come in early, so couldn't work on it this morning. Should be done this weekend. Time is getting to be harder to get for me. The son (7 yr) is starting football and and my daughter (5 yr) is starting boxing, so I hope to squeeze in the deuce from time to time.

Thanks to all for the good words and encouragement, when others back home, thought I was crazy. Makes a man feel good.[thumbzup]

Attachments

caliber1

Well here are a few pics of the air conditioner rack I am making. Like I talked about before, The air is seasonal so it will come out in fall and back in during spring. But I still need a tough rack to holp up during the off roading. This aint no winnebago, so 2*2*1/8" angle was the way to go. I was hoping to get it done today but work needed me to come in early, so couldn't work on it this morning. Should be done this weekend. Time is getting to be harder to get for me. The son (7 yr) is starting football and and my daughter (5 yr) is starting boxing, so I hope to squeeze in the deuce from time to time.

Thanks to all for the good words and encouragement, when others back home, thought I was crazy. Makes a man feel good.[thumbzup]
Nobody said you weren't crazy. LMAO You fit in well here with the rest of us. :cookoo:

Awesome job on the AC rack, as usual.

daddy2

Well loaded the ac unit in and ran the extension cord through the hole I cut in for the toilet plumbing. I pluged the opening around the ac unit with rags, nothing fancy, and I had the box shut up, windows and roof vent shut and holes for water heater vent and hole for plumbing covered with drop clothes. The ac unit ran for about 45 min. I set the unit to 70 deg. It never quite got there. The ac unit kept the temp at 90 deg inside ( the ac unit is digital and has a thermometer built in. That doesn't sound very impressive, but keep in mind the box was in direct sun light and and there is absolutely no insulation in yet. The next step was to find out what the inside temp was with out the unit running. So I turned off the ac and let the camper bake in the sun for about 1.5 hrs. I went in and noticed quite a difference. I tried to use the ac thermometer to recheck the temp, but after it hit 99 deg it swithced to state hi. guess it can'tread about 99 deg. I decided to hang the wifes kitchen thermometer about 7" from the roof and after another 10 min I rechecked it. Inside temp was now at 120 deg. Tells me the unit kept it down 30 deg. Once insulation is in, I hope the unit will do.

I have been thinking about the second roof therory. I wounder how a tarp would work, acting as the second roof, as long as there is an inch or two between the box roof and the tarp. I was thinking somthing like the dump trucks have, to cover there payloads, while running full loads down the road. Nothing too complicated, but if it works then great.

Attachments

59apache

Chipmaker
it sounds for me easier to mount a second skin than mounting a tarp. for both you'll need spacers.

I would glue square tubes (1x1) lengthwise on the top, rivet or glue sheet metal on it, paint it white, thats it. With bodywork adhesive or the special adhesives available its a save and strong way.

just my 2cents.:beer:

maybe it makes sense to split it? i think about different thermal expansion...

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
better idea:
mount solarpanels on the roof....:grin: with this large roof you can power your AC and a fridge.....
i will do it on my shelter, as soon as i can afford it....

Last edited:

daddy2

It looks like a great idea, but I wonder about the cost. The spray foam I bought (Dow Froth pac 620 system) cost me about $1300. To have it installed by an insulation company would have run me about $3000 to $4000. I think the second roof idea might be a lot cheaper.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend in Fla with a shop full of 4' x 8' - 2" insulation sheets for free if your willing to go down for a pick up. I am sure he has 3-4 times more than you need for the interior. Just puttin it out there for you. Same foam Razer and Oddball used.

daddy2

Really apreciate the offer but already have th froth pacs in the garage. just waiting to finish with the weldin on the box before I spray. Plus a trip to Florida would end up costing a lot since I would also have to go to bike week in Daytona. Wife already said no to that.:-( HA HA

daddy2

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have had a busy last couple of weeks. The howard county vietnam veterans rally was a great trip. My fathers a vietnam vet and I'm a non combat veteran. I had a great time with the family. I even got the kids a fight on a huey. But back to the build. This set of pictures is the power inlets. The big 50 amp is on the driver side and the 110 volt inlet feed is on the passenger side.

Attachments

daddy2

The next set of pic is the insulating of the inside. As I stated before I used the Dow froth pak 620. It seems to have done a good job, but boy is it messy. I accidentally got some overspray on the outside and what a pain in the you know what to get off. It was a bit harder than I thought to spray it, butconcidering it was my first try, I don't think I did too bad. I will need to do a bit of trimming but I want to get the outside stuff done first. I might add a layer of sheet foam to level things out a bit and add a little more r- value to the inside. Maybe 3/4' sheets. The lower section of the bed will be insulated from the outside. I hate to lose the look of the deuce bed, but it will make things easier for me, and save space on the inside.

Attachments

daddy2

Your right about the winter and heat as a measure, but I am more interested in staying cool in the summer and finding out weather or not he ac unit will be enouph so I am still hoping for the hot temp.

daddy2

The 110 outlet was gotten from a electric supply store and the 50 amp plug came form an rv supply place. Both were local. A bit on the pricey side but something that needed to be had.

Ok the plan with the lower insulation is as follows. I am going to box out the side with 1/16" sheet metal. Before I weld it on the side rails I plan on spraying the outside box with foam. The idea is to keep as much inside room as possible while sealing the lower section from moisture and vapors. This was the best idea I came up in keeping everything sealed up tight and insulated.

Attachments