• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

daddy2

The new shed is a bit bigger than the old shed. It is 10'*20'. I tried telling them it was art but they wouldn't hear of it. It was a nice dark green color. The nice thing is it went to a good home. A guy from down on the Jersey shore area ( not sure the city name but it was on the coast) got it. He said his house was in really bad shape and he was afraid of the looting. Made me feel good knowing he needed it more than me.:smile:

daddy2

This is the first post with pics since the updated website. I am still finding my way around. I put up the walls of the shower and welded a bit on the dinnette seats. I welded plates on the corners and the top and bottom center for the backing plywood. I also welded ears on the top rail. These ears are to secure the top cot that rests on the top rail. The other end hangs from the roof with chains ( I will take pic on thur to show). The last two pics show the braces for the water tanks. Panneling will be attached to the frame leaving the center section open. This will give me a viewing access to the fresh water tanks to check levels. I know they sell sensors that let you know how much water you have, but why buy a sensor when you can just look down. I still have the fourth window to put in. The frame is made and painted. Just waiting for a nice day to weld it in. I still would like to do some winter camping in it if possible.

I thought I would share a bit of insulation info for you. It has been a bit cold (between 20 and 30 at night). I connected the 110 power inlet and wired a duplex outlet to it (again pic on Thur). I borrowed a 1500 watt elec heater form my dad. It doesn't state it but I think it puts out about 5000-5200 btu's (I compared the 1500 watts to other elec. heaters in northern tool catalog.) It does a good job but I still have a bit of insulation work to do. The floor doesn't have any insulation yet. So it is looking good.

View attachment 401772View attachment 401765View attachment 401766View attachment 401767View attachment 401768View attachment 401769View attachment 401771

daddy2

A little help, I tried to post the pics but I couldn't figure out how to put them up as a thumb nail like before. Now you have to click the attachments.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
576_455_1.jpg

Use the "Go Advanced" and then hit the Image icon (2nd row, 4th group, 3rd pic tree in frame) and then Upload from computer.

daddy2

Thanks bikeman. I did just that, but then time ran out and and I had to log in again. I copied and pasted when I re-enterd the site. That must have done it. I will re-post now

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, pretty sure you need to upload them individually again.

BTW, there's a "Keep me logged in" or "login forever" or something check box next to your log in. Might help you out!

daddy2

Ok a few more pics showing the third cot that rests over the dinnette set. Also a pick of the outlet I wired up. This is just temp. untill I get the panneling done. Then I will start the real wiring job.heater and cot 001.jpgheater and cot 002.jpgheater and cot 003.jpgheater and cot 004.jpgheater and cot 005.jpgheater and cot 006.jpgheater and cot 007.jpg

daddy2

I got the fourth and final window in today. Will have pics tomorrow. It was a bit of a pain having the foam on the walls already. I've had a great time at this, but having gotten this far, I can see that there is quite a bit that I would have changed when doing the project. Not the over-all, but instead the order of doing things. I would also probably change the manner I insulated a little. I should have just thin coated the walls with the spray foam, to prevent any condensation on the walls, then go with the sheet foam. I think it would have been more uniformly insulated. Things to remember for the next project.

daddy2

Few More Pics. I had to do a bit of re-working. All six brackets that I welded on the side walls, to attach the two cots on the rear of the camper, and the bench seat that sits next to the dinnette set had to be extended out farther because of the wall clearance. I addition I had to cut down the upper cot that mounts on the wall because of the loss in ceiling height, extra insulation. The cot was cut down to 28" wide from 30". The extra work cost me a good day.

Good news is I still made some progress. I started working on the table top for the dinnette. I used 1" * 11.5" * 48" steps that I bought at Lowes. I cut them down to 24" wide pieces and had to trim some off the width on two. The tabel is now 24" wide by 42" long. I used biscut joints and glued them together. Going to add angle iron and two runners. I will take pics when done. I also shaved the insulation off a bit in places. On the side walls I am going to use tec foil radiant heat barrier, running from stud to stud, and on the ceiling I made sure I had 3/4" of clearance so I can add some dow foam board.

On Tuesday the truck goes to the shop to get the cushions made up for the dinnette set and the fold up bench seat. After that I want to get the cots made up at the awning shop. I also plan on getting started with the sink and counter top. All stainless. Had the unit given to me from a remodel. Sink is huge and all seamless.

dinnette table 001.jpgdinnette table 002.jpgdinnette table 008.jpgdinnette table 003.jpgdinnette table 005.jpgdinnette table 007.jpg

Last edited:

daddy2

Got a little more done with the table top. The leg is going to mount to the angle iron on the outter edge and the hinge on the inside end. The two wooden rail are to keep the table top from moving around when in the sleeper position. I need the cushions made, getting done this week, before I mount the hinges. I need to get the height before I mount it. I also started to lay out the sink / counter top. I need to cut it down a bit and I'm taking it to a welding shop, don't have stainless tig set up, to get some work done. The good thing is the owner was in the army and drove 2 1/2 and the 5 tons so he loves the project and does great work. The most important thing was to ask the wife how she wanted the sink centered on the window. Great news though. The way she wants it is actually going to require less work on my end. I didn't tell her that news, because if she new that, she would have changed her mind and went with the design requiring a crap load of extra time and work. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most important thing was to ask the wife how she wanted the sink centered on the window. Great news though. The way she wants it is actually going to require less work on my end. I didn't tell her that news, because if she new that, she would have changed her mind and went with the design requiring a crap load of extra time and work. :mrgreen:
Wow, this must be a universal wife thing!!! "oh, that would be easy? Ok I actually want it 10mm to the left right where this load bearing stud is... etc etc."

Looks great! I hope to see it in person one day!

daddy2

The Key is to look worked up when they give you the answer you were looking for. I think I grunted a bit, looked mad and then scratched my head. She didn't have a clue I was smiling inside.:lol:

On another note, I just looked at Rayzer's thread M146 RV conversion. I am thinking of changing my thread to Cave Man Rv. Compared to his build, well I just don't know what to say. He has done a great job on his project.

RAYZER

Thanks for the props daddy! You have done an incredible job on your build! once you start to install some wall coverings,crown molding and baseboards,your "cave man rv" will start to look like awesome man cave rv! Hang in there and keep going, all of your hard work will pay off!

59apache

Chipmaker
Ray's work is setting a benchmark on a high level, but the hole amount of your project too. To build a complete cabin that way...respect-023.gif

Last edited: