• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

daddy2

Mike, it is just going to drain straight out. I will put a garden hose attachment for the grey water. I've seen the toilet tank cleaner wands for cleaning out the brown water tanks. It will be a straight drop for the toilet into the tank so droping down thw wip wand to clean out the tank shouldn't be that bad. But who knows, may need to adjust it if I don't like the results.

I tried to up load the pics but it still won't let me. New camera to take pics but I did upload the last bunch that were taken with the new camera. I can upload any of the rest but it just won't let me upload the last batch of photos. Any sugestions?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PAtracy said there was going to be a 10sec outage to adjust something that was slowing the upload speed to 2mb, probably why you can't upload the pics. Try again after 11:00:11 EST.

daddy2

Just tried again to up load the pics. It came through. I hope to get the third window in on Saturday morning and get the holding tank rack done this weekend also.

Thanks for the info Ferro.

Attachments

daddy2

Just got the third and final window in. It is positioned by the dinnete set. Still have roof vent/ escape hatch and the bathroom vent. Going to try to get more of the waste water tanks rack done. Yesterday and today weren't rainy so that is why i jumped on the third window. I needed two good days to get the frame primed, painted and sealed.

Thought you might want to know: the windows were all originally to be secured from the inside with a ring. I wanted it to be outside mounting, but I purchased them e-bay and at a discount from a supplier so for the price I decided to drill the window lip and use hex head self drilling and tapping screws. when mounting the windows I used a product called through the roof. Ment for roofs but it works great for sealing leaks on most surfaces. I like it better than silicone, but wear the disposable rubber gloves because it makes a mess when it gets on you. very sticky. Thought you might like the info.

Attachments

tamangel

considered any rain water collection opportunities for the roof? Both to supplement potable water supply and extra to flush black water tanks..? even a small area could be useful..

also might want to look at one of those electrical valve openers for the black tank drain. Splash can be the s**ts.. :shock:

Mike

daddy2

I actually have planned to use a awning/ water collection system. When of grid camping I plan on having the rain water drain into a container then pump it onto the roof. Also planning to have solar water heater. That is why I used 1*1 square tubing to stud out the bathroom. extra bracing for a 50 gal tank. But these are things I can rig up after the meat and potatoes of the biuld are done. But good Ideas. Nice to see I am not the only one that thinks like that. Wife thinks I should go out for the domes day prep show. But if I did that everyone would know my tricks.:beer:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job and good welds. I am impressed with your project. What is your power plan..? Lights, tv, fridge, water pump..?

daddy2

To tell you the truth this question has consumed a lot of my time. I was going to buy a actual rv fridge but the $1400 is a bit much. I am looking at a 6 to 7 cubic foot fridge made fro apts from boscovs. They sell them for around $300. Uses more electric but cost of the other is too much right now.

I will put a colman 2 burner in it for cooking. Not a permanent stove. That way we can cook outside or inside. I'll have a gass hook up on the inside and outside.

Tv will be installed but for only for the drive and when raining. I want to help the kids learn that tv isn't everything when camping.

Definately lights. both ac and some low voltage dc leds. Off road lights also. led's are nice.

The power sourse has been on my mind. I thought about the generacs made for Rvs the 3600 watts looked good, but I didn't hear many good things about them on line. Then thought about putting in a honda Eu 3000 watt. If going through deep water I could remove the gen and bring it inside but I also want to be able to turn it on and off from inside the cab. No sence in having to go outside if it is raining cats and dogs. I will also need to run it while driving down the road for the air and fridge. I think 3000 will be big enough. No hair dryers or microwaves, unless camp ground camping with electric hook up. Biggest electric need will be air, fridge, and water pump (but pump only draws 7 amps dc the shurflo 168 gph or 2.8 gpm. To feed the gen, I have an 18 gal fuel tank that I will mount next to the truck tank. That way when I get diesle I can fill up on gas for the gen without moving the truck.

I will most certainly put a air machine in. It is going in the rear of the truck on the drivers side next to the door. Rv air conditioners are very expensive plus they will add to height. The kids have a 8000 btu machine for bed time and it works well. Going with the 8000. A friend of mine has a red neck uncle who always cut a hole in the side of his rv's and used the window machines. Said they worked well for him, so maybe this red neck will be ok with the same set-up.

An 8000 btu's machine doesn't sound like much but I will have the entire truck insulated well. A friend of mine has an insulation installation company and he also was motor t in the USMC. Only worked on the deuces, so he was thrilled to see what I was doing. He sujested closed cell spray foam. He said it is water and vapor proof. It was a froth pac system. He thought it was the best product for what I had.

If anyone has some good advice, expecially with the generator system let me know.
Thanks,
daddy2

Heath_h49008

I wonder how much you could cool the box by painting the roof white or reflective. If you have to hide a deuce from anything airborne, you would need netting/cover anyway. That seems like a big surface to be a dark color.

Anyone ever try it?

daddy2

I was thinking the same thing. I thought about white or grey herculiner for the roof. I will probably paint it camo and see if it is too hot. Then I might go with the white. I an putting a lot of faith in the insulation.

Kalbrman

Instead of running the generator to power the fridge while going down the road, how about using an inverter hooked to the engine's alternator. Might have to beef up the alternator to handle the extra current, but maybe not.

daddy2

Just got some more done. I installed the water fill. I went with the two fill type. One side uses a spout to fill the tanks and the other is if there is a water hook up for constant water. I also decided to change out the roof vent/cap. The new one will have plexiglass to allow light in. I'll also carry with me a sheet metal piece that can bolt it for ruffer weather.

I got the insulation in the other day. Had to order it. Man it put a big dent in the wallet. I bougth 2 froth pac 620 kits. Spray foam was sugested by another post as well as a buddy of mine that owns a insulation company. For the cost though, I think it is the best route. I also just got the ac unit. A frigidaire 8000 btu air conditioner. With the exta good insulation I think the 8000 will work fine. Guess I will find out.

I hope to get the water heater soon as well as the electric hook ups. I am going with a 50 amp system. Hope that price isn't too high. :doh:

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow this is one super nice build up. gives me all kinds of ideas for my 923a2 keep up the good work and keep the pics coming. i can see you have done your homework and alot of prep time has gotten you this far. you will be going in style:grd::popcorn:

daddy2

Well got home from work tonight at 1200 midnight. Changed into work close quick and got out to the deuce. I was able to weld a bunch of the plates on the inside. plates are mounting points for the studes. Studs are going to be used more as a spacer but they will also be the area that the paneling attatches to. I'll get some pics in the later in the day. Working at night due to the 100 degree weather here.If outside is 100 inside box is at least 110. Need sleep now.:-|

lost in the bush

Excellent work.. The images of your puppy make me miss my Neuf (BayBe).
You may be aware of this resource. However check out http://www.skoolie.net/

At one time we planned to convert a Bus as a mobile command post until an alternate resource fell into ouir laps.

Take a look has links to a number of surplus RV parts and etc.

Last edited:

daddy2

Thanks for the links bush. I'll check them out tonight.

I just got the plates all welded up. I have to weld 6 more on the cab over part and four mor on the front panels. I have the plates cut but I ran out of the weld through primer so I need another can to finish the last ten plates. I plan on screwing wood shims to them. Depending on the thickness of the foam insulation. If I get 2" out of the insulation then I will need a 2' thick stud. As I said before explaning is hard for me. Makes more sence with the pics. I should be able to insulate in teh next 2 weeks. Still need to put in the cut out for the ac unit and exhaust for the water heater and electric pannel. I hope the 2 weeks is good. Still gong to kokomo in September.

Attachments