• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme RV from M36a2

RAYZER

Paint it with some behr interior semi gloss paint and primer in one, the hand prints will whipe right off and you would have the ability to touch it up.
Spraying it will save you some time and labor!

daddy2

Rayzer, is it paint? I want to keep the wood look. Just want to seal it. Does behr have clear wood sealer? Remember I want the cabin feel.

Scarecrow1

if you want to preserve the wood look then you may want to use a sanding sealer and the use a low luster varnish or lacquer . either one can be sprayed just wear a mask or your going on a trip you don't want. I would stay away from polyurethane be ause of the drying time.

daddy2

Haven't got the weight yet. Plan on going camping this weekend. Maden voyage. No refridgerator, but will have ac and a light. I put the counter top back in and the panneling. I had the kids, with supervision, herculine the steps. I also put in the new sky light. I love it. Lets in a lot of light in the back area, plus it's just cool to look up and see the clouds.

The outside temp in the direct sun was 114 degrees. Not sure what the actual outside camper roof temp was, but the inside temp was 78 degrees in the heat of the day with no shade. Now remember that the entire floor is with-out insulation. Not too bad. With shade it will be darn cold with the ac.:naner:

daddy2

I re-did the temp test today. The inside temp was 78-80. The outside roof temp was over 130. The thermometer oly went up to 120 and the alcohol was spiked up past that. Not too bad if you ask me.

Diecorpse

WOW!! I just read all 331 posts in the past three hours!! D2 you are doing an amazing job. I know it's not finished yet but it looks great so far. Can't wait to see your build when its 100% !! I bet you can get a hefty price tag out of your camper if you ever decide to depart from it. I haven't seen any pics about the cab of the truck as far as what your plans were to open it to the rest of the camper. MORE PICS. . . NOW!!! GOOOO, GET TO THE CAMPER!!! (Quote changed from predator when Arnold screamed " Gooo, get to the chopper!!) Lol. I know, I know, I'm a bit looney! Lol. Always having to much fun!! I'm tired. Goin to bed. I will definitely keep track of this thread now it has my interest!!

daddy2

Thanks for the compliments. I put in the cab through window for this weekends camping trip.

I got the final on the temp thing. I stole the wife's oven thermometer. Outside roof temp was 153 degrees. Inside stayed at around 80, with the kids going in and out. Not bad, not bad at all.

I should have a bunch of pics come next week. Our maden voyage- first camping trip.

daddy2

Got back from the maden voyage yesterday. All in all it was a great time. The air conditioner worked great and the truck kept the rain off. We had quite a few compliments and lots of questions. I'll post some pics when the camera is charged.

There are a few things I need to adjust.
1. re-locate the 110 power inlet to driver side.

2. double the width of the tailgate by hingeing a piece that will fold under the existing talegate and flip out when
camping for any period of time. It will double the platform size. The deck is too narrow with the kids in and out.

3. I need to close the gap between the tailgate and the top step of the stairs. I will add a step section to the inside
edge of the top step. So the top step will have a tread width that is closer to 14 inches instead of 7 inches. The
other steps are just fine.

4. I have a leaking wheel cilinder. Rear axle drivers side.

5. This is a big thing. The wife said the trip in the back was bad. Too hot with very little air circulation. I need to figure
out a way to run the ac while driving. The unit draws 740watts / 7 amps. The fridge will draw about 95watts /
1.2amps. I was thinking about the 2nd alternator option.

59apache
, I just read your thread. If I purchase a 2000 watt inverter, would a second alternator provide enouph AC
power for the air conditioner and fridge? I know there is a drop in power as far as amps goes when going from DC to
AC. This is a must fix. (The wheel cilinder is Safty, so it must be fixed. The air conditioner is for Happy Wife and
must also be fixed. :beer:

59apache

Chipmaker
D2, it's simple math. 12V / 70A = 840W.....
you have to chose between a modified sine-wave and a pure sine-wave...the modified are cheaper, but you may have problems with electronic devices.
the retailer where i bought my inverter told me that a modern fridge has a starting current up to 30 times higher than its normal current. rule of thumb is 3-10.
So i've chose a 1500W pure sine with 3000W peak (5 secs, or so) thats big enough for my fridge....

For your AC i would chose an inverter with ~ 7000W peak = ~3500W constant ...bigger is not always better because the efficiency of your inverter drops when it works only at "idle" .
With the loss of your inverter a 12/100A alternator should work.

i hope that helps,

daddy2

59 Are you saying that I should have two inverters. Northern Tool sells the pure sine inverters. 1800 watt continuous with 4000 surge as the biggest they have. The electrical stuff I need to learn a lot more about. AC to DC. If you sugest a 100A alternator then I would thnk a little bigger, in the event I ran a little more (lights or radio tv, dvd player). Sorry if the questions sound like basic questions but I like I said, I need to catch up on the electrical stuff.

One thing I'm seriously considering doing with my deuce is to lose the boat anchor generator and get my hands on a generator head from a small gas-powered unit, Then put the original pulley on it, and mount it on the engine where the original generator went. I'll supply the truck with 110 volts AC and get a 24-volt transformer with a bridge rectifier to run the trucks electrical and charge the batteries. As long as the ol girl's running, she's making juice to run anything and everything. If you want quiet night time power, carry a couple sets of deep-cycle batteries charged off the truck's electrical system to run your inverters for the fridge or ?. You can also charge them via solar power too. If you haven't already, do your interrior lighting in LEDs and your batteries will last a good long time.
The cool part about this idea is with the Multifuel's low RPM range, there's no worry about overspeeding the generator head so you can make all the power you need without roasting bearings in the process.
:driver:

Last edited:

59apache

Chipmaker
D2, no i don't say you need 2 converters, just 1 that is big enough. if you run 2 converters, you have to split your AC system...
We have a mess with or abbreviations... :)
AC = current and AC air condition... to clarify AC means 110V AC.
you cannot use 2 converters in 1 AC circuit to double the capacitiy. I've heard about converters that have the possibilty to synchronise, but i have no experience with it.
If you run 2, you need 2 circuits on the AC side.

My thoughts are: chose one that is big enough for your air condition. That is in the the range about 7000 peak. The fridge and the light is not the problem. If you have a peak current problem, shut off the fridge, start the air condition and then the fridge.

on the DC side you can think about another way to go...a second 24V system. It has it advantages....smaller wires, and batteries are easier to charge if you run them in row and not in series. With that much consumption this is maybe smarter.

And you should definitely think about a solar system on the roof. it cools down your room cause its like a second roof and charges your battery at the time you need it most.
On daytime, when your air condition runs.

RAYZER

One thing I'm seriously considering doing with my deuce is to lose the boat anchor generator and get my hands on a generator head from a small gas-powered unit, Then put the original pulley on it, and mount it on the engine where the original generator went. I'll supply the truck with 110 volts AC and get a 24-volt transformer with a bridge rectifier to run the trucks electrical and charge the batteries. As long as the ol girl's running, she's making juice to run anything and everything.
------

I think, With any type of ac generator head, there has to be a constant specific rpm (usually 1800 rpm or more), in order for the unit to make 115v ac at 60 cycles.
Im not sure this idea will work with a gen head just hooked up with a pully to the engine.

tbearatkin

I think it would be easier and possibly cheaper to just get a Honda generator or another quiet running one or find an old RV generator and put it on the underside or on the front bumper seems I saw one on here somewhere. Then just fire it up for your trips when you need the ac in back while driving down the road.

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use an Onan 4000 in my one, mounted down where spare was (spare is relocated to rear of the truck). 60Dbm noise, especially with the exhaust pushed down the back.

Hoxman

Hello,
First.... ****.... That is a bad ass build! Waaaay too many upgrades and fabrication for me... On your list of things that need fixed, I saw wheel cylinder leak... My driver side front tire was leaking, but when I took off the CTIS from that wheel, it stopped....
Would like to use the CTIS again, but don't know how to fix it... The tire holds air with the Valve off the tire and when it was on the tire, we used leak detector (my bud owns a tire shop) and couldn't find anything leaking anywhere... Any thoughts, suggestions?

Keep up the awesome work..
-Hox

daddy2

After a bit of thinking about it, I beleive I will go with the generator option. I would like to get the solar and alternator down the line but the generator would be used the most for now. I won't have to worry about cloudy days or if boon docking, I can run a honda 3000 much cheaper than running the deuce for the alternator. Now I have to get the $$$ together for a honda 3000 watt. Anyone know what the going price for selling blood plasma is??? :doh:

PS thanks for the compliment hox

Last edited:

daddy2

The wife put the second coat of polyurethane. It looks great. I hope to get some things done this weekend but my back is giving me some problems again. We'll see. What the next few days brings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks