• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme Trucking

jollyroger

It was awesome camping weather. When we showed up it was windy and cool for a couple days. The rest of the time it was actually hot. There was ice on the lake the first few mornings. After that we had a little frost on the grass but it was really too hot to hunt. The nights were awesome though. You could almost sit around the campfire and watch the stars and satelites in your t-shirt. This is pretty uncommon for where we were at this time of year.

jollyroger

Ahhh, looks like paradise my friend.
I gotta say it is a beautiful and farily remote area. I feel priveliged to participate in this camp.

We have often wondered how long we could go before someone just totally wigged out and had a meltdown. I think it would take alot for the guys I'm with to do that though. Everyone gets along and pitches in to get things done.

It's nice not having cell service except for one or two spots and you have to stand just right on this rock and start the call on speaker so the phone gets reception to connect the call then put it to your ear after they say hello. Kinda makes you want to not call anyone. It's even nice not having the T.V. around. We can get a couple "mountain" radio stations. But after a while you miss your lady and your family and your dogs and stuff.

Every year, more and more I enjoy coming home but I HATE coming back to Denver. It's just getting to be too much city for me.

steelandcanvas

I know who I'm going hunting with next year. BTW, in the photos of you packing up, I didn't see any Elk. You must have put your harvest in another vehicle, right? :p Hope to see you and your Dad this Friday night!

jollyroger

No Elk for the second year in a row other than the shed wired to my grille. He was like scrappy doo with most of his antlers broken off. A real fighter but I think the big dog just finally wore him down. Don't know if he got shot or died from competing for the ladies. I tend to think he got tore up too bad and expired cause he was in some dark timber, beetle kill, nasty blowdown stuff.

It has been hot and dry for the last two seasons. They just don't like coming out of the dark timber for the rut until it is cooler and we get some wet weather. Hunting them in the dark timber when it's hot and dry is like walkin' on Rice Crispies. We found a whole bunch of new wallows, game trails and watering holes but they were hitting those at night if at all. They just were not moving around much.

Opening morning I had a spike Elk walk out from the timber, pass in front of me and make a j hook back to within 20 feet of me. I was sure the whole herd was gonna walk out behind him. He was just munchin' away off to my right and I was so amped up I had to swallow. He heard that and was not sure what I was but decided he did not like the situation. He trotted away right back to where he had come from. I am absolutely certain he went back and told the rest of the herd something was out there.

The whole season was like that for us. Whoever had a buck tag saw does. Whoever had a cow tag saw bulls etc. But that's why they call it hunting I guess.

Dad and I will be there. Pop's was doin' some work to the 220 today. My Dumper and the ammo trailer is good to go anytime. We will get some more done on the 220 tomorrow.

Last edited:

Oldfart

I leave the discussion of "game taken" to my son. We plan on being there Friday with the appropriate butt support. Even the video does not show how difficult some of the trail really is. Last year someone went about 1000 ft. free fall in a jeep. Winter before a couple of snowmobiles took the same drop. Rumor had it that the jeep driver had been drinking and snowmobiles could not see where they were going. Not the kind of country where one should be in an altered state of awareness while moving about no matter in a vehicle or afoot.

jollyroger

Yeah. Windy point is pretty scarry to drive past. I think the drop is more like 1500 feet or more to the bottom. And the road gets real narrow right there. I don't know how the road just stays there without being washed away every year. There is a bypass for bikes and snowmobiles but four wheelers and trucks gotta go the scary way. The view is breathtaking but one has to watch themselves. That's partly why we don't go that way with the Deuce.

jollyroger

I know the Mule was the original UTV but we can't take them more than 300 feet off of the trail according to the US Forrest Circus......I mean Service.

After we get the hot tub in the M-332 trailer and the satelite with flatscreen we may not come home till they kick us out. :D Or we run out of beer and eggrolls.:beer:

moose

JollyRoger, I have been practicing your breathing techniques, so as not to pass out. Thanks for that. By the way a good wall tent is what seperates the pro from the amature hunting camps in my mind. Your pics are why I wanted to get a deuce or a 5ton in the first place, so thanks for posting those. We are definitly on the same page when it comes to uses for these trucks. I also thought that for hunting by myself a s280 camper, or something similar would do the trick. I'm sure that I could build the camper so that a rhino would fit inside, and when I got to camp and removed the rhino, the bunks would pivot down from the sides. Thanks again for the pics, it looks like you had a nice hunt this year.

jollyroger

JollyRoger, I have been practicing your breathing techniques, so as not to pass out. Thanks for that. By the way a good wall tent is what seperates the pro from the amature hunting camps in my mind. Your pics are why I wanted to get a deuce or a 5ton in the first place, so thanks for posting those. We are definitly on the same page when it comes to uses for these trucks. I also thought that for hunting by myself a s280 camper, or something similar would do the trick. I'm sure that I could build the camper so that a rhino would fit inside, and when I got to camp and removed the rhino, the bunks would pivot down from the sides. Thanks again for the pics, it looks like you had a nice hunt this year.
You can use the s280 shelter or you can bob a deuce with a M-105 bed as the bed of the truck. Then you can still put the s280 in the truck and have better turning radius and such........There are too many ways to do this. that's why i love it so much. To each their own.

jollyroger

Sorry about the vids. I tried to directly upload them and the site times out before I can get that done. And understandably so. They are big files. I tried to log onto YouTube and something is wrong with my login. I don't know what and I have not taken the time to fix it yet. My bad. Maybe that's tonight's project.

jollyroger

Bear and a doe. We saw a bunch of Elk but not in a place where we could get a good shot on them. In the dark timber with just thier buts showing for a split second. It was just too hot and dry. The woods sounded like we were walking on rice crispies. When it was cold and windy the days before the season they were moving around a lot but not after opening day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks