• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

factory turbo motors

HETvet

I'm in the market for a deuce but I had some unanswered questions. What were the factory turbo engines that came in these things? Next would be my options for a repower? I'm not looking for a race car; more so a family weekend camping trip worker/hauler. I also plan to run 53 inch tires. Thanks in advanced for any and all information yall might have for me.

HETvet

Thank you for the input. I was thinking about re powering with the 6cta my self. I'm going to continue to do my research, but really appreciate any other information. Thanks again

texas30cal

I have access to CAT c7's and Allison transmissions that came out of running trucks, some are still in the front half of the frame with radiator, intercooler, and everything else. I heard a number from the mechanic but am not sure of it, I don't know what it would take to install it in your truck but if interested I will talk to them and can help get it to you, the mechanic that is taking them apart told me they were all under 2k hours

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Those pictures make me sick @ knowing that all that green/tan iron went to the scrapper; instead of being utilized for truck repairs ot replacement parts. The only good part is maybe that this was all that was left after the serviceable parts were removed; the engines were salvaged too!

Jeepsinker

Repower with an LDS motor, turn up the fuel a bit and play with boost pressures and you should be good. At least that way it is a bolt in repower. I'll be doing this soon myself.

HETvet

I like the idea of the displacement of the LDS engine. But I also like the responsiveness, in terms of power and modification, of the 6cta. Gearing is not much of an issue for me as I like the spicer 3035A trans and the low gearing of the top loader rockwell axles. Plenty of grunt down low, and a decent speed for back road driving.

JasonS

The minimal horsepower deficit that the stock LDT has versus the stock LDS can be overcome by turning up the fuel.

Jeepsinker

Yes, but can the LDS not be turned up as well? All other things being equal, the LDT and LDS are not the same motor exactly. If they were there would be no need for two different numerical designations. At least the LDS isn't in danger of coming apart when it is producing the same power that the LDT strains to output.

JasonS

Why wouldn't it be prone to coming apart? It is prone to the same lower end failures and head gasket failures.

Jeepsinker

Why wouldn't it be prone to coming apart? It is prone to the same lower end failures and head gasket failures.
I was referring to failures associated with high exhaust temps. Yes they still are apparently subject to the other failures, although I haven't read about anyone throwing a rod from an LDS.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Anyone care to explain the single nozzle oil-squirter VS the dual? It does not look like they are very spread out on the dual.

Just wondering why.

JasonS

Anyone care to explain the single nozzle oil-squirter VS the dual? It does not look like they are very spread out on the dual.

Just wondering why.
I haven't looked inside of an LDS but my understanding is that the second nozzle was designed to keep the top ring groove cooled which enables the use of low additive oils common when the engine was designed. I have to wonder if this design feature is obviated with modern oils?

Jeepsinker

Stock LDT-134 horsepower, stock LDS-170 horsepower. Sure the fuel can be cranked up on the LDT to closely match LDS power output, but at the expense of higher exhaust gas temps because the fuel system and air intake and exhaust runners and ports coupled with small turbos were not meant to support the extra 40 horses that the LDS has in stock form. We could go into depth on it and converse on the matter for days I'm sure, but that was not the point of this thread. Simply another option for the OP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks