• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fair Price for a half Track

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So in a fit of anger after getting my deuce stuck in the mud, I put a bid in on a half track on ebay. Being only $500 above the previous bid when the reserve was not yet met and 3 days before the end of auction I never imagined I'd actually win it. So at $19k for a 1941 M1 white halftrack w/w, is that a fair price or did I sabotage myself (again)? I have buyers remorse and my wife is pissed as heck so I'm curious how good or bad the price I paid really is. I was having a fit after spending 2 hours trying to get my deuce out to no avail and backing it into a tree and denting the tailgate. I should learn to stay off ebay :cookoo:
Any input from the experts would be appreciated.
1941 White M1 WWII Halftrack - eBay (item 220764528140 end time Apr-10-11 20:29:43 PDT)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$19K for that is a screaming bargain. Only problem is halftracks get big time stuck as well, especially with all the weight on the front wheels. But now you have a winch to extract everything.

M215

I was watching that one on Ebay, overall nice halftrack. Noticed the rear floor is put together strange, extra step down were the rear seats should be. I have been restoring our White M2A1 for over 5 yrs, getting close to being back together.
Good luck on yours and nice purchase.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its a M2A1 track, You need to find a pulpit with M49 ring. Looks to be missing a few things in the back, Most notibly the tool boxes where the bottom seat cushions would go. Also appears to need new tracks which will run you $2600 plus shipping for a set. The fake armor looks ok. i think you got a good deal just remeber nothing is cheap for these things you could easily spend another 10k on it but you would still be ok. It aint a M35a2 for sure

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$19K for that is a screaming bargain. Only problem is halftracks get big time stuck as well, especially with all the weight on the front wheels. But now you have a winch to extract everything.
It would be better if they made steel tracks for it. Around here we get bulldozers stuck 5 months out of the year. Lots of rain, clay soil and steep hills makes for interesting off road driving here in SW WA. Truck has been stuck halfway down a hill for two weeks now. It has a winch too but sometimes no good trees nearby to hook it too.

So what is a half track like that worth? I might be able to keep it if I convince the boss that I can make good money on it after fixing it up. Maybe by then she'll get use to it. Or at least I can always hope. She has come around to being not totally opposed to the deuce now. :)

A

A/C Cages

LOL did you see the Spedometer? It said tops speed 80mph
I dont know about you but I would never want to get one of these above 40mph. The one I drove was all over the place at 40mph and it was screaming at that.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well a M35A2 and a halftrack are at opposite ends of the hobby. The main problem with your track is the repo armor. That will always hender its value. Yes you can tell the difference and when you start getting into higher end machines the more original the better. I think it would be worth what you paid for it if all the electrcis worked and the fuel tanks were ready to go.. Since the engine smokes little that could be anything from a minor adjustment to needing a new motor. (nothing cheap on these things) Anything you spend to complete the track should easily be recouped in a final sell. Whatever the given market is at the time you should subtract 20-30% for the repo armor. With the going price for US WWII armor I could see a track like yours being finished 100% bringing north of 45k Its a long way from there.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
On a related note, but off topic. What are the front and rear axle ratios? I would assume the rear axle has a taller ratio than the front?

srodocker

hey rancher! Nice new toy! if you ever need unstuck again give us a yell on here. if you did sorry i didnt see it as im always up for a adventure. Maybe i did see it but my memory is horrible hehe. You should bring that toy to the rally this year!

captain-crank

just remember nothing is cheap for these things you could easily spend another 10k on it but you would still be ok. It aint a M35a2 for sure
Once you're done, it's pretty easy to drop another 10K on trinkets to accessorize it also.;-)

Oh.......

Don't forget the 15- 50K for a rig to safely haul it too.:beer:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a related note, but off topic. What are the front and rear axle ratios? I would assume the rear axle has a taller ratio than the front?

Rear 4.44:1 (40t ring gear/9t pinion))
Front 6.8:1 (34t ring gear/5t pinion)

I believe these are for the White and the IHC is different. 7.17?
Other ratios:
xfer case: 1:1 and 2.48:1
Transmission 1st 4.92:1
2nd 2.6:1
3rd 1.74:1
4th 1:1
reverse 4.37:1