• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan Clutch O-Rings - 24 volt fan options?

DREDnot

I looked into that. But if memory serves me I needed to have the serpentine belt pulley. Maybe I’m wrong.
It would help to know which belt system you have...V-belts, or Serpentine.
The viscous clutch AND the fan need to be clockwise rotation for V-belts and Counterclockwise rotation for serpentine.
The fan is 19"

DREDnot

I've had enough of the fan clutch......

I also won't be installing a visco-elastic fan clutch as previously considered. I don't ford water so why bother?

For the few HP I lose I won't care, and I can get rid of a hydraulic fluid loss risk.

I have run other Diesel engines with full time fans, and I see no real downside .
The noise....the ridiculous amount of fan noise...and the power loss is irritatingly noticeable in stop and go traffic.

You dont want to overcool the engine either. No matter the weather.

Viscous fan clutches are really the best overall solution if, like you say, you don't need the fording functionality.
Automatic operation...most airflow...reliable stand alone system not dependent on other vital systems.

And the viscous clutch does fording just fine if you use proper fording technique.

McSpeed

Just ran into town and have unhooked then solenoid so fan runs 100% and no fluid to the clutch. Ugh. The odor of the oil blowing back was bad for a bit. I’ve got to fix this but just no time right now.

McSpeed

I just came across a rebuilt fan clutch for $200 and ordered it. It comes from a reputable vendor. Just going to put it back stock and deal with it. Could be fixed under $20 with o rings. But going to take almost as much time and will still have the old clutch parts that can fail at any point. Ugh.

papakb

There are a couple of options when it comes to the fans in these trucks. The early GM cars had a temperature controlled fan clutch that self adjusted based on the engine compartment temperature. You had to modify the fan pulley but otherwise the modification wasn't that difficult. This was a totally mechanical modification.

Thermostatic adapter 1.jpg

Another option was made by Flex-a-Lite. They offer 24v fans with variable speed controllers that ramp the fan speed with engine temperature.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
There are a couple of options when it comes to the fans in these trucks. The early GM cars had a temperature controlled fan clutch that self adjusted based on the engine compartment temperature. You had to modify the fan pulley but otherwise the modification wasn't that difficult. This was a totally mechanical modification.

View attachment 809008

Another option was made by Flex-a-Lite. They offer 24v fans with variable speed controllers that ramp the fan speed with engine temperature.
Yeah that is what I epoxied all together. Didn't work. Oh, and I lost a day fishing. Should have just bought a new one. Fishing is expensive anyhow.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
YEP, when I need a fish ti's off to the market. Didn't know fishing was that expensive. That being the case, I have a whole lake full riding on four 37 inch tires.

Fish and chips, As long there not in your transmission, CAMO

papakb

I put a piece of 1/2" conduit 1" long in the center to keep everything concentric and 4 allen head cap screws to hold it all together. Worked like a charm.

McSpeed

Just got it all buttoned up. Took longer to take apart because I forgot you don't unbolt the fan from the clutch until AFTER it is all slipped out of the truck. Went in smooth. All hooked up ad fluids topped off. Took it for a spin. Right at 200 on my current temp gauge it kicks in and brings it down to about 185 ish - then let's go. My old clutch would really zap hard when it came in - this one comes in smooth. I like that - but got use to the thing hammering on. Hopefully that's okay - and not a problem. When I got back home I plugged and uplugged the valve several times to verify it was kicking in. Total cost was under $240.

The problem with the old one WAS the o-ring seals on the cap. The cap has a dust seal and the o-ring the same diameter as the cap. Then there is an o-ring on the clutch assembly that is about 1/4" in diameter. Don't know which one let go, but the dust seal was torn and missing one side. NICE to park it without a puddle being left behind and no more burning oil stink at speed.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything is in the TM's EVERYTHING
Goto TM 9-2320-280-24P-1 figure 34 and the next page gives the ID of part #6 and its NSN and part number
If you would like to know how I did that in 3 minutes send a conversation and I will tell you.
O-rings are not rocket science but wherever one is used anywhere in anything anywhere in the world the replacement must be the exact same flavor as the original.

This might be it P/N: 5740249
Dimensions: 2-3/8" outer diameter, 0.139" ring diameter
It may be a "metric" O-Ring
The fan clutch bearings are not listed in the parts TM I have, so maybe not EVERYTHING!!
exploded view.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks