• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fan clutch on the NHC 250 Cummins

jwaller

as I'm sure you know the military ones don't have clutch's but when used in a civi application they did. I'm sure we could adapt it for our use but I doubt there is enough room front to back for it to fit. just like you found out in the deuce.

M813A1

Hello Crane truck. I have had the same idea and have been wondering it it would be possible to be done !! It would be much quiter in the cab while driving without all that Fan noise !! post lots of pictures if you can make it work !!

kc5mzd

I had to replace the air fan clutch on my freightliner worktruck. It has a 350hp Cat. It cost about $700 + core exchange for a rebuilt one. It took a full day to swap it out. Those things are heavy! I took the fan off my M35 that I drive in the winter. It saves fuel has more power and runs smoother. I haven't had any overheating problems but I don't get stuck in traffic to often. I use one with a fan for off road. I don't know how much heat the 5 tons put out compared to the 2.5 ton. It would be interseting to see how well they do with no fan.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Crane truck. I have had the same idea and have been wondering it it would be possible to be done !! It would be much quiter in the cab while driving without all that Fan noise !! post lots of pictures if you can make it work !!
What are you driving? Fan noise in cab=m656/xm757, if so, any pictures?
BTW, that's not what I want to do, I'm looking for a good actuator for the hydraulic retarder on the transmission. A spring loaded pneumatic piston with a 1/2 inch travel.

M813A1

I drive a M813A1 and the M809 Truck have the Cummins and the fan is direct drive and it is wnat causes the noise !! If a fan clutch could be installed it would help reduce the noise that the Cummins makes !! I wonder is a Electric fan could be installed to help get more power out of the Cummins ??? HUMMMMMM !!!

DOCUSN1

That is interesting but I dont think there is enough room between the radiator and the fan. I dont think they could have put them any closer togather from the factory. I just got done working 5 hours on my second 818 today rehabing the cooling system and let me tellya there is not much room. But have at let us know how your making out. Mark :-D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, that's not what I want to do, I'm looking for a good actuator for the hydraulic retarder on the transmission. A spring loaded pneumatic piston with a 1/2 inch travel.
A fan clutch won't work for what you are wanting to do (unless I'm missing something). Should be able to find a small air cylinder off of e-bay or something to fit your needs.

Coldfusion21

Guys! He just wants the switch to operate the clutch, like in the picture he posted. He plans on using it for another purpose.

Say it with me, air switch, not clutch, air switch, not clutch.....

:-D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about the pneumatic actuator only (image above), not the clutch itself....meanwhile learning about the related fan clutch on the Cummins.
Yeah, plenty of hits on ebay and I may end up going that route.

Well, it goes to show how little I know about this series...saw this (image) and wanted to dig deeper. How and where is this item used? If it's still on the parts truck, I may be able to use it for my 8x8 hydraulic retarder.
you also may want to watch for shutter stat products.

the small air cyl that opens and closes the shutters on the older civi trucks may fit your application.

reb87

The 939 series five tons and m915 series tucks have air actuated clutches. At least both of my m944a1 and 915 trucks do.

jrod66

I drive a M813A1 and the M809 Truck have the Cummins and the fan is direct drive and it is wnat causes the noise !! If a fan clutch could be installed it would help reduce the noise that the Cummins makes !! I wonder is a Electric fan could be installed to help get more power out of the Cummins ??? HUMMMMMM !!!

is there any experience with electric fan conversions on the 5ton? is there an electric fan that would produce enough cfm? I havent researched it much, curious if anyone else had, sorry if this has been covered I searched and didnt see much