• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feeler: Turbo kit for the Diesels

DrFoster

I'm looking to see if there is any interest in a turbo kit for the Deuce that I am currently building. Because it will be so easy to replicate, I'd be willing to put these kits together and offer them to the club, at a touch above cost.

Here's what is in it:

Holset HX35W Turbo, new.
Adjustable wastegate (6-25 PSI, preset to 12psi)
Adapter plate to bolt on to the stock manifold (milled from steel)
All gaskets and rubber fittings / clamps
Pyrometer w/ probe
Boost Gauge w/ lines and fittings
Drill bit and tap for the pyro probe
Wire ties, wires
12V electrical bus and fuse
Instructions and photos on CD

Basically, it will be a bolt-on, less than 3 hour project. It will run less than $1600 shipped. I'm working on a -1C and -1D project. The -1D will be out first.

Post in here, or drop me a note if you have any interest, or comments / questions.

Dieselsmoke

The HX35 is fairly small for the 5.9 Cummins (roughly 360 cubic inches), why would you want to throw it on a 488 cubic inch motor? I'd use a 40 at minimum.

DrFoster

I can do a hx 40 for you if you want. I'm a little concerned that it would be out of its efficiency island. I'll look at the map again for it...

The cfm on the 35 is optimal for 10-15psi, and a little laggy for the 40.

Cost would be about $150 higher for those.

DrFoster

Oh - CFM is about the same, just a little higher for the cummins. It spins faster. The 35 fits well on the map for the deuce, centered on the 78% efficiency island... 40 slips to around70%

rdixiemiller

DrFoster said:
you'd be looking at stock numbers with 4-6 psi and up to 325 hp and 600 ft lbs at 16 psi.

Cooler EGT's across the board, increased mpg if you drive it properly.
I wonder if the bottom end of the deuce would hold up to that kind of horsepressure?

What are the relative advantages of your kit over the stock turbo? Excluding the gauges, of course.

DrFoster

I'm not sure yet. I still need to determine how well built the lower end is. I would recommend running about 12-14psi as a max for now. Let me blow apart my truck first. I'm quite sure from what I have seen, that you could handle 15psi with the flow of a HX-40W without hurting anything.

IF you got a kit as opposed to the stock turbo, you'd have "on-tap" power at most RPMs, not just on top like the stock turbos. I am very disappointed with the stock turbo because it totally lagged the entire time we drove it until one or two hills where it decided to spool, and the boost was so minimal, all you could feel is the loss of the lag...

You'll be adding a wastegate, which nulls out lag and overboost (or surging). This alone will protect your intake turbine from stalling, but save the engine from dangerous overboost on abrupt throttle closes. A "BOV" or Blow off valve can also be added to the intake side of the turbo for about $150.00 and that dumps the intake side air when you close the throttle too, giving you added protection, and a little "Pshhhhhh" or chirp every time you come off the throttle on boost. Here is a video about that (and you get to see my silver SRT-4) to compare the different sounds: http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=BF E277B5-7FB2-4158-AB1C-00968C1D5FBD

Other benefits:
Increasing MPG by requiring less engine work and throttling at a given rpm by increasing Volumetric Efficiency (VE) of the intake and exhaust.
Gauges, of course, allow you to tune to a custom setting and prevent overheating or damage to the engine by monitoring the EGT, A/F ratio, and intake psi/Vac.
You could also bump up to an "all in one" unit like one of the 12V greddy turbo computers which not only log but have a built in boost controller, egt and other modules you can add.

All in all, it is a kit for a person that is ok with tools, understands engine mechanicals, loves to tweak, and wants the deuce to run stronger and more efficient

DrFoster

Again, something I need to look at. However, the stock engine does put out 425 ft.lb at sea level from the data I have.

From research here on the forum, there are people cranking 15psi on the stock turbo which is a boiling hot charge, and totally out of the efficient range, but looks like 515 ft. lbs on my computer regardless. I haven't seen any reported tranny problems from club members with that much boost as of yet.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Will it whistle?

:)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I dont think blow off valves are needed on diesels as there is no throttle plate slamming shut blocking off the airflow from the turbo. They sound great on gassers though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks