• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ferret 38C5968

teletech

So, I sort-of impulse-bought a Ferret today.
I'd had ferret crushes before, but a few years back when I thought I had the time and money to commit to armor I convinced myself that *everybody* had a ferret and I should get something a little more impressive. That's how I ended up with two CVR(T). Thing is, they were bigger projects than I'd anticipated and life changed a lot from when I bought them till when they arrived. I'm still suspicious I'll get them running some day, but at this rate it will be another few years. Anyway, point is I knew a bit about ferrets and had wanted one and my long term project has me wanting to drive something sooner than five years, so when I saw a pretty complete one for sale just an hour away from me, well, what would you do?

side.JPG

I have two immediate issues I'd really appreciate help with (three if you count poor impulse control):
The first is operational, this was part of a estate cleanup and it seems the PO removed the gearshift and the cleanup crew accidentally threw it away! So, looking for a gearshift mechanism without it costing me a fortune. Also it would be nice to know how to put it into neutral without the feedback of the selector so I can roll it safely. The cable is there and the arm in the side of the gearbox moves freely enough.
DSC_0593.JPG
Second is identification. The glacis has some letters on it which may or may not mean anything
38C5968.JPG
There is also a welded-on hull tag, sadly the expected cast-aluminum plate is absent so I'll need to come up with a blank or something at some point.
vin tag.JPG
Anyway, I'd love to know anything about this particular vehicle.
I don't see any evidence of a brake servo.

Overall, the vehicle is a odd mix of missing bits and very complete. It hasn't moved in a decade or more. I guess the previous owner had dementia for at least five years and during that time was prone to take stuff apart and scatter it around so I'm guessing the cleanout crew tossed a lot of good bits not knowing what they had, including but not limited to the radio gear. Anyway, I got what felt like a fair price for it's condition so can't complain too much. There is still coolant in the radiator, some air in some tires, and the brake pedal feels about like one would expect of it were working. Hard but with some give. The motor turns freely by hand, so overall I have some hope.
I did notice a very faded and rotted MVCC pennant in the random bits scattered around, so it might have been to a meet in happier days.

I really am pretty tempted to remove the turret, owning a CVR(T)Scorpion I don't have too much turret envy and having it open would make it a better grocery-getter. If I find it was originally a Mk2 of some sort then I'll likely just set it on a shelf against the day it makes more sense to have it.

teletech

Thanks to: https://captainstevens.com/military/mv/ferret-scout-car/ferret-numbers/ I now know how to decode the tag for this Ferret.
Hull 334, built April 1954. I still have no clue if this originally fitted a turret, is the thick or thin hull, or what the decal numbers on the front might mean. They don't seem to be any sort of registration number I can decipher. I suppose it's not impossible somebody put the license plate number from some state in the US there. I also don't know if the hull number is absolute or if it reset every year or whatever.

Ferretboy

Hello there....nice ferret....hull no. 334 is an ex canadian mk.1...originally without a turret......was sold by canada in 1981 from calgary....its registratiom no. Is 54-82521....you might find that stamped....on the flat armour to the front of the forward ant. mount next to the drivers hatch......i have found some wrong info in this list before so look for the stamped number.....

teletech

Hello there....nice ferret....hull no. 334 is an ex canadian mk.1...originally without a turret......was sold by canada in 1981 from calgary....its registration no. Is 54-82521....you might find that stamped....on the flat armour to the front of the forward ant. mount next to the drivers hatch......i have found some wrong info in this list before so look for the stamped number.....
Thanks, it will never be nearly as clean as yours I fear. Thanks VERY much for all that information. Once I verify the registration I can start looking for history on it. It is missing some things but also has several of the harder to find small bins and such, also the exterior bins are sort-of straight (for a Ferret) and largely rust-free, so overall I feel pretty good about it.
I'll dig for the stamped number next time I see it, should be about a week until it gets delivered.
Knowing it's a mk.1 I can strip the turret off in good conscience. ;-)
Any suggestions about where I can find a new gearshift mechanism? I've reached out to Khakicorp and Pat is going to look around but hate to pin my hopes on that.

Ferretboy

The gear shift quadrant may be hard to find....not a regular replacement part...but you may get lucky....i dont know if yours is missing the transfer case shifter on the left side but it is forward..neutral and reverse....if you position it in the midway position (neutral) you should be able to roll the ferret easy...the early ferrets did not have a brake servo....sad that some parts may have gotten lost but you did well....ive had my ex canadian for 31 years...hull no. 386.b.5.4. You also got the sand channels....i think they are very hard to find a set now....post more photos please...i love the ferrets....also cvrts....very cool.

teletech

The gear shift quadrant may be hard to find....not a regular replacement part...but you may get lucky....i dont know if yours is missing the transfer case shifter on the left side but it is forward..neutral and reverse....if you position it in the midway position (neutral) you should be able to roll the ferret easy...the early ferrets did not have a brake servo....sad that some parts may have gotten lost but you did well....ive had my ex canadian for 31 years...hull no. 386.b.5.4. You also got the sand channels....i think they are very hard to find a set now....post more photos please...i love the ferrets....also cvrts....very cool.
I'm sure it would be easy in the UK, as there are still a lot of Ferrets stripped of all the common parts and just things nobody ever needs like the quadrant left behind. :-\
I did get the sand channels, I also got two additional tires(plus spare), two complete sets of periscopes, and a tripod which may or may not be CES. Not a US made tripod, not sure what the Canadians were setting the Browning on, or it could be for the BREN, or something completely different.
The 1919 replica isn't a bad one either and it's mount appears at least mostly complete.
More pics, well it will help you feel better about the condition of yours, so here's a few more I have.
DSC_0585.JPG
What is the control to the lower right of the cluster? My guess is cluster light dimmer.
DSC_0587.JPG
DSC_0588.JPGDSC_0589.JPGDSC_0591.JPG

Ferretboy

Oh my....thank you for the photos.....you got some great parts in there.....the grenade bin...the spare turret sight periscope bin......splinter screens....the knob on the lower on the inst panel is a cover for the light bulb....the larger part under the inst. panel is the horn button and the dimmer or (dip) switch....also i see there is no gen.regulator box....the canadians replaced the original generator with a u.s. alternator...(good idea) ....very nice to see these photos....thank you....

teletech

Oh my....thank you for the photos.....you got some great parts in there.....the grenade bin...the spare turret sight periscope bin......splinter screens....the knob on the lower on the inst panel is a cover for the light bulb....the larger part under the inst. panel is the horn button and the dimmer or (dip) switch....also i see there is no gen.regulator box....the Canadians replaced the original generator with a u.s. alternator...(good idea) ....very nice to see these photos....thank you....
My pleasure, there's a few more "as found" shots at the end here.
I had read just enough to know some of the bins were not the easiest to come by but will take some time after the initial clean-out to figure what was supposed to go where. I also have what might be a correct stove in the pile of random stuff which also includes seats, driveline covers, and so-forth.
I suspected it was the dimmer, thanks for the confirmation. Interesting about the alternator, I'm pleased it was an "in service" modification so I don't have to feel guilty about the temptation to do away with the generator. I did read that the early generators were sometimes an issue and without proper lubrication would die badly.
The motor turns very freely by hand, coolant still in the radiator, oil looks clean. There is a pretty awful smell coming from the fuel tank, I fear for what sort of varnish is sitting in there since the vehicle wasn't intentionally prepared for storage that I can tell.
I'll need a leaf-blower for stage one of the cleanout. The general state of it really is calling to me to break out the steam-cleaner. Is this a viable plan or should I take a lighter hand? Can I just avoid the electrics and direct hits on the moving parts but go at all the big cruddy parts or are there specific things to avoid?
Also, I know these are legendarily loud inside. Apart from stocking up on hearing protection is there anything you've seen or done by the way of mitigation that was successful? I'm going for running and driving, looking mostly original to the casual individual and to not be hated by the purist. So, any nods to modern times should be done respectfully and in a fully reversible manner, but if I can make it a better car for my own comfort and those who will undoubtedly want to go for a ride I'm open to that.
Couple operational questions: How tall are you and do you find it's better to have a windscreen or to go without? I like the idea of eating fewer bugs but I've seen guys stick their heads out the front to look around in some of the videos.
s-l1604.jpgs-l1605.jpgs-l1606.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Ferretboy

Love the photos....im a short fellow 5.4....dont worry about being a purist....to expensive for me and too hard to find the parts for that...yes there a bit loud inside but surprisingly quiet outside....a set of headphones playing your favorites my be nice....as far as cleaning one out....be a treasurer hunter....you never know what small goodies you may find....i found many m.g. links....canadian dimes....whenches....small parts...ect...also if you can find a windscreen thats up to you....

Ferretboy

As far as i know there were 3 styles of turrets....yours mounts a browning 1919a4.......very desirable.....later one that mounts a british gpmg....and the one that had 2 vigilant anti tank missles....the p.o. of mine added a turret like yours for the 1919...i have removed it....going back as a m.k.1.......but best to save it ....there not making any more.

teletech

Love the photos....im a short fellow 5.4....dont worry about being a purist....to expensive for me and too hard to find the parts for that...yes there a bit loud inside but surprisingly quiet outside....a set of headphones playing your favorites my be nice....as far as cleaning one out....be a treasurer hunter....you never know what small goodies you may find....i found many m.g. links....canadian dimes....whenches....small parts...ect...also if you can find a windscreen thats up to you....
At 5-9 I'm still in the realm of folks who fit the Ferret and CVR(T), just thought I'd see how you found it. I'm pretty concerned about visibility and am considering if it's better to just bee looking around all the time or if I should rig up some video displays for safety when I don't have a spotter along. Illegal to wear headphones in CA. You can cover one ear and you can wear earplugs to protect against damaging noise.
I've found a number of links in the bins, along with some dummy 20mm, and a number of wrenches in with the pile of rags in the corners. I'm just trying to decide how best to deal with all the old oily-peeling paint and spider webs and a quick power wash seemed like a good way to get to something that wouldn't wreck my clothes too quickly when I went in to work.
I was thinking I could make a windscreen, but I didn't want to bother only to find out nobody likes them because they obstruct the view.

Indeed, tempting to keep the spinny-bit up top on just set it one the shelf in case I have a change of heart or to improve resale value, but if somebody is dying for one it seems silly to hold on to something I might never use. Plus I'm running out of space!
thanks again,

Ferretboy

Well im not an investment expert ....nor would i listen to one anymore.....but the turret isnt eating anything so i chose to store mine....a wind screen is a personal thing...just like many things....live life the way it makes you happy.....whats best for you.....restore a vehicle the way you want it....years ago i saw how a purist would do a jeep....i drove myself crazy looking at markings on bolt heads......it should be a relaxing hobby.....and will bring you many years of fun.

Ferretboy

Hey there Pavl.....just looking over the photos......lots of good stuff. ....hope you got the air cleaner.....the left side escape hatch.....and a bunch of small bits.....that is 54-82521 c.a.r number....p.o.added turret.....good you got with Colin hes got a lot of good knowlage...history.

Ferretboy

The small bracket on the upper right side of the hull....(out side) is a mount for a spot light....m.k.1. Canadian modification.....without the turret the bracket would be turner up and your spotlight mounted to it. I also see you got the key for the engine deck and hatches....very good...a small part but very nice to have...looks like you got the right side escape hatch...the bin...and a bin on the inside for ammo cans...love the photos....thank you...David

teletech

Hey there Pavl.....just looking over the photos......lots of good stuff. ....hope you got the air cleaner.....the left side escape hatch.....and a bunch of small bits.....that is 54-82521 c.a.r number....p.o.added turret.....good you got with Colin hes got a lot of good knowlage...history.
I got the air cleaner, the left hatch, and a pile of seat parts and such. I'm looking forward to confirming the CAR number and sorting out the bits I have (and don't have).

teletech

Arrived!
DSC_0575.JPG
I'm struck by just how small and easy these are to work on when you're accustomed to the CVR(T).
Anyway, had to yank off the turret to restore to a Mk1.
DSC_0578.JPG
And then scrape off the loose bits and give it a bath. I know putting the spare on will make it harder to work on, just wanted to see it looking a bit less forlorn.
DSC_0601.JPG
Did the inside as well
DSC_0594.JPG
DSC_0596.JPG
and the engine bay
DSC_0591.JPG
I found some markings
DSC_0603.JPG
DSC_0602.JPG
and here are some items of CES. I got a #2 cooker (less grating), a Canadian transit-compass, and a tripod I can't quite identify.... BREN perhaps?
DSC_0586.JPG

teletech

When we unloaded the ferret, it didn't roll well at all and I naturally feared the worst. So it was a great relief when I lifted the front after removing the forward driveshafts and found one wheel wouldn't turn and further investigation showed it was an issue with brakes rather than a tracta joint or bevel box. I left the drum off and now the vehicle will roll on smooth floors with just one person pushing. I also determined the handbrake worked but not so the service brakes. So I decided to have a go at the master cylinder first off. It was full of crud but luckily all the parts were free and the bore is decent. I'll flush some lines and reassemble and start going through each wheel station. I'll need to replace the soft lines as well for my own piece of mind.
I also removed the fuel tank selector. Between stories of fires caused by leaking ones, annoying leaks, and these being known for fuel system gremlins, I thought I'd just have a look right away. Turns out that was a good call as the gasket was mostly macerated and jammed in every available orifice. Cleaned the switch and made a new gasket so it's ready to go back into service once I pull all the liquid that used to be fuel out of the tank. I got some fuel on my hands pulling the filter, I've washed them six times since then and they still smell like old varnish.

I also took the paint off the front area where the Canadian ferrets are usually stamped, no such luck.
Worse yet, I created a clean spot so now I'll have to do some painting!
If anyone knows a good spot to look for a stamp other than by the hatch by the antenna, I'm all ears.
DSC_0610.JPG

Ferretboy

Arrived!
View attachment 808033
I'm struck by just how small and easy these are to work on when you're accustomed to the CVR(T).
View attachment 808034
And then scrape off the loose bits and give it a bath. I know putting the spare on will make it harder to work on, just wanted to see it looking a bit less forlorn.
View attachment 808035
Did the inside as well
View attachment 808037
View attachment 808038
and the engine bay
View attachment 808036
I found some markings
View attachment 808039
View attachment 808040
and here are some items of CES. I got a #2 cooker (less grating), a Canadian transit-compass, and a tripod I can't quite identify.... BREN perhaps?
View attachment 808041
Arrived!
View attachment 808033
[ATTACH
and the engine bay
View attachment 808036
I found some markings
View attachment 808039
View attachment 808040
View attachment 808041

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks