• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ferret paint and history questions 01CA81

81turbota

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired 01CA81, a Mk2/3 Ferret. It was sold by Khaki Corps and left outside rather neglected by the PO. It has some late modifications such as the night vision capable driver’s hatch and alternator instead of the 2 speed generator. I am going to repaint it green/black but had questions regarding tactical markings etc.

From the vehicle card I got from Bovington tank museum it saw service with the 14/20 King’s Hussars, 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards and 4th Royal Tank Regiment, all part of the BAOR. Unfortunately the card doesn’t have the info of its service prior to 1969, as I found a picture of it in service in 1967.

Questions -
If I was to use the tactical markings of 4th RTR for instance, what would those be and where would they be located?

Any idea where the 1967 photo may have been taken? Edit - in Aden. If anyone knows the unit I’d love to hear it.

Did I miss anything on the history card that stands out to you?

I’ll post this on HMVF as well once my account is activated. Thanks for looking!

Current state after getting it home

In service, location and unit unknown 1967 - edit - I believe this is Crater, Aden. I’m not sure if anyone can figure out the unit but maybe someone can.

Vehicle history card from Bovington tank museum

Engine record card pulled from the little canister by the thermostat housing

Last edited:

teletech

Nice looking Ferret you have there. You are lucky to have such good service history and an in-service picture.
Those of us with Ferrets from other countries aren't usually so lucky.
Are you in fact in California and where-about? If so, I'd love details about if/how you have your Ferret road registered since the local CHP was uncooperative about mine.

81turbota

Thanks for the reply. I am in California, northeast LA area. I bought it titled and registered. I was surprised to see it’s properly registered as a 1958 Daimler …I was expecting something bizarre like 1967 Chevy. They used its original registration number for the VIN instead of hull number, presumably because the data plate is most visible and recognizable. The PO used an out of state title company that registered it in a different state then re registered it in California. Similar process that many do with Dnepr/CJ motorcycles. States like Vermont will let you register it there without ever seeing it it’s worth checking out. If its old enough all you need is a bill of sale.

Keep in mind you’ll still have to do a VIN verification to register it in CA…but it’s a lot easier if you have a title from another state. See below for getting that inspection done…

I registered a grey market import Dnepr K750 motorcycle in CA….it wasn’t particularly pleasant since I had to clear customs as well (different mess) I was prepared to go the Vermont-CA route but it ended up working out. Best advice I can give you is make friends with your local police dept. Any police officer can inspect the vehicle the key is finding one willing to do so. Instead of towing the bike to CA DMV or CHP and having them look over its Ukrainian paperwork I made friends with a traffic Sergeant in a local PD. He cut the BS inspected the bike and signed my paperwork. Vin verification paperwork in hand along with a few bucks I had plates.

Last edited:

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the MK2/3 ferret. I am working on painting my buddy's 2/3 in the Aden camo . All of his in service pics are Aden. If you are on Facebook, you should join the Daimler Ferret Armoured Scout Car Appreciation Society and the Daimler Ferret North America groups. Lots of info in those groups. You can also connect with some guys that served in the Ferrets. feret.jpgfrom

Ferretboy

Great looking old girl.....if that is the original paint I personally would never repaint.....Crater....Aden....Yemen.....history......preserve it.....best to you....great ferret !!!!

81turbota

Thanks for the replies guys!

Soupermike the paint looks great, are you going to do camo or leave it tan? I’m not on Facebook but may have to join if there’s a good Ferret group.

Ferretboy, the current paint was an attempt at a desert storm scheme. I’ll be repainting it tan/dark green Aden camo like this

Finished the partial interior cleaning - stripped all the tin work and blasted/painted. The color isn’t a good match which is a bummer…hopefully when it gets dirty it’ll blend in more. I scraped at least 40 pounds of oil sludge from the fighting compartment.

Other progress
-cleaned fuel tank with vinegar and did the REME mod to the fittings. It was a big step to have her run off her own tank! Was originally bypassed and running off a gas can. I trimmed the tube down a bit from the length pictured. Banjo fitting was completely plugged when removed.
-rebuilt carburetor and ignition, runs great
-rebuilt all brake hydraulics…what a pain as all my wheel cylinders were stuck
-installed a VIC-1 intercom
-top half is currently in primer
-reset transmission bus bar spring
-MLU spin on oil filter adapter

TONS more work to go…

Notice the white paint on the hubs…evidence of a white UN paint job presumably from its time in Cyprus

Last edited:

Ferretboy

Oh dear....!!!!! Beautiful....love that .....thank you for the photo....please more photos...ferret owners...take care of the little things.....there getting harder to find.....cheers from ohio

Ferretboy

All you ferret owners....park yours with 1st gear engaged...and never use the gear change pedal as a clutch!!! These are some rules for the Wilson type gear boxes I thought everyone should know....peace....love and good happiness stuff.

81turbota

Soupermike, that looks fantastic. Well done!

Im finishing upwith the paint. A few details left on the brushed on camo but it’s coming along well. Wheels and hubs next. I’m trying to have it road worthy for the local car shows around Christmas.

Ferretboy

Also interested in your tires....there are some guys that say u.s. 900x16s will not fit on a ferret rim...I have no experience in that. ?????? Love to know the truth about that.

81turbota

Nice fit on the MG34! The whole setup looks great Soupermike. Looks like we are both using the same USGI straps on the tie down loops. I’m still waiting on mine to install.

I’m going to use a demilled SG43 barrel for display with a dummy gas tube for no other reason than I have one lying around. Unfortunately living in California there is no humor in display guns. I jokingly mounted a nerf gun on my K750 and was told by my employer it “incites violence” and not allowed on the premises. What a world…

When I get a chance I’ll bring the K750 and Ferret to neighboring Arizona to run and gun with the proper armament.

Ferrey boy - as for tires I can’t give any first hand experience. I have spoken with the REME depot team and they have experience with replacement tires that work for them. It might be worthwhile to reach out to them.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks