• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fifth wheel question

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
according to the -15-1, heigth for the 818 fifth wheel is 56.3"from the ground and for the the 819 it is 54.3"

westfolk

If the fifth wheel is in that area off the ground you're good. Every truck is going to vary depending on what suspension, tires and fifthwheel are used

Towman2277

That 5" will not make a difference.... the length that is behind the fifth wheel towards the back will. If your converting a truck, i'd keep it as short as possible. Tommorow I will measure the length from my fifth wheel to the end of the frame and post it on here....

westfolk

Steve has it right. Add to that what terrain you may be planning on running. A good rule is to have the frame long enough to be able to mount flaps behind the tires.

m.walker

My M52 is 56" , according to tm 43-0001-31 your M757 is supposed to be 55 1/4". My M750 ( 15,820 lbs. ) and my friends M127 ( 14,400 lbs. ) sits level on mine so you shouldn't have any problems , when you hook it'll drop some due to trailer weight . Plenty of tire clearance also so you shouldn't have any issues there . I'd love to see some pics of it hooked to some trailers for comparisons , I'm curious about the turning radius from the foot longer wheelbase of the M757 ( 206" ) compared to my M52's ( 194" ) , still not as long as M819's ( 242" ).

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 819 is so long, even a 172 is about the same length, it will be a real production backing up those short trailers, need a football field just to swing the front end to keep the trailer going where i went it to go, after i bought the 819, i found a old rogers lowbed real CHEAP that i was going to get till i mersured the trailer from king pin to center of axles, it was about 10' longer then the 819, right then and there i know that was not going to work

Scrounger

Just have to remember overall height. For commercial trailers that are 13'6" 5th wheel height can't exceed 47 1/2". When I towed a 12'6" trailer with my 818 the overall height was 13'4"'.

NEIOWA

If you ever see a mil 5t (M813 or new) pulling a 6t semi trailer or the older model stake trailer you'll note the nose is "too" high. The 5th wheel height on the 5T is higher that the trailer design.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thats because those older trailers used 900x20 tires and ment to be pulled by a 2 1/2t tractor

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the information!

Walker, according to the TM 2320-230-10 manual, the turning radius is 42 ft 2 inches (with winch). Guess the weight of the winch on the front axle will add some resistance to turning. Without the winch , it's 41 ft 4 inches.
Remember that both front axles steer on the 757, which may effect the actual wheel base when making comparisons.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks