• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

finally added a civilian hitch

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just installed one from a chevy truck onto my duece last week. Bought it brand new in the box for $50 on a close out deal, had to drive through the ghetto to get it but it was worth it. Its only rated at 10K lbs with a weight dist. hitch but now I can tow a regular trailer. I'll get some pics posted Monday when I have some time.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: finally added a civilian hitch

Djfreema said:
I just installed one from a chevy truck onto my duece last week. Bought it brand new in the box for $50 on a close out deal, had to drive through the ghetto to get it but it was worth it. Its only rated at 10K lbs with a weight dist. hitch but now I can tow a regular trailer. I'll get some pics posted Monday when I have some time.

Did you need to modify the hitch in any way? Could you tell us what year and model truck that hitch is for? Thanks, Eric

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: finally added a civilian hitch

No modifications necessary, it is made for a mid 80's chevy pickup, I'm pretty sure the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton are the same frame width. The only thing is if you are going to bolt it on, I would re drill the holes in the hitch so they are better centered in the frame rails. I did'nt feel like doing all that drilling so I welded it which took about 10 minutes. This one is rated a class 5 but there are better class 5's out there rated for up to 13K lbs. U-haul has a class 5 rated for 13k lbs but its $200. When I told them what hitch I wanted and what it was going on, the guy refused to sell it to me. So I waited a few weeks and called back to order the 13k hitch for a "1984 crew cab 4x4 K30" which was going to take a week, so I held off and found this close out deal on craigslist.com.

motorolanut

RE: Re: RE: finally added a civilian hitch

I installed the exact same style hitch on my old duece before I sold it. It was a chevy 80's thru early 90's universal class III hitch.
The worst part was the 2 hours I spent drilling out 8 holes in the frame, Wear gloves and long sleeves because the shavings will burn you. Have a Heavy Duty Drill, Small and Large Bits and plenty of Oil for Lubrication. You will also need a 8 to 10 inch drop class III Ball and Male portion of the hitch. It will work fine, if you have a short tongue on your trailer look up Northern Tool.com and buy a class III Extention for the tongue.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys!!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not bad Devin! I was looking for a way to pull the toybox with the deuce. Just found the next mod for mine!

devilman96

Next time you have to drill your frame from the bottom grab a jack stand and a length of steel, 2x4, or what ever suits and leverage your drill on it like in the pic. It will save ya heaps of trouble and the added push makes the job go much faster.

Nice looking hitch though... Prolly one of the better looking set up's I've seen for a receiver.

Attachments

MikeON

Class 4 receiver hitch

This one is a Curt 14082 for 1973 - 79 Ford F250 Crew Cab. I got it from JC Whitney (their number 284470). The JCW website gives the same part number for mid-80s Chevy cab and chassis. The price was $158.99, and shipping was free.

The hitch is rated 10,000 lb with 1,000 tongue weight for weight carrying use, and 12,000/1,200 for weight distributing use.

The center of the 2" square opening is 6" below the bottom of the deuce frame. With the adjustable ball mount pictured set as low as it will go, the bottom of the ball is only 1" higher than with the straight ball mount on my Trailblazer. This is with 9.00 x 20 tires. If I ever go with bigger tires, I'll probably have to put 2x2 square tubing between the hitch and frame to lower it.

It came with six 1/2" bolts, nuts and spacers. I drilled the holes in steps 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2", and it went fairly smooth other than breaking a 1/4" drill.

The paint is Rustoleum 1933 Sage Green from a rattle can.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Class 4 receiver hitch

That looks good Mike. Thanks for the pic and part #'s

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Man, I'm glad you took that last pic, there. The previous ones had me thinking that you have put Blazer axles under your rig for better mileage!

herc69

OK!! Ferro was trying to tell me I could just weld a triangle type mount to haul the water wagon (pontoon) with my M109A3. These look a LOT better, and will probably work a heckuva lot better, too!! :grd: Thank you all for the pics and info!!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's a very nice job! I have to admit is is more versatile than my box hitch. I know nothing about hitch classes, assuming 5/16" plate box attached with the pintle bolts and the pintle shaft bolt in the shot below, what class would this one be? I only pulled a 2000LB generator trailer with it. Not sure what I could get away with.

Attachments