• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

finally added a civilian hitch

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I finally got to use mine for the first time today. Rented a trailer to tow a forklift up to my buddies tomorrow so we can swap out a duce motor. I will get pics of tomorrows adventure. No.2Diesel, I like your set up.

area52

No.2Diesel said:
Here's mine. Plate thickness is 1/2" Slightly overkill.
In that first picture, how do you have the electric cable hooked up? I assume thats what that cable is right?

What do you guys do about brakes? Let the deuce do all the braking? or hook up an electric brake controller?

No.2Diesel

Thanks DJ, There are additional 1/2" plate sandwiching both sides of the 2" tube and fit just inside the big hitch bolt pattern that also tie into the rear two crossmembers. You can see that even still, I had to adjust the tongue height of my dump trailer to its highest setting to get the trailer to sit level.

Are52:
Its just not hooked up in the picture. The reason you see a coil of wire hanging there is its an adapter. I originally swapped out the Mil trailer connection for a civi 7-pin round receptacle for the big trailers that I tow. Then I made an adaptor from the round pin to a flat 7-pin. That way, I can tow almost anything else. I have had experience with those 5-pin round adaptors from rental places and they generally foul everything to Shiite. I installed a Tekonsha Digitrac II brake controller (inertia, pendulum type.) My "friend" (the type of person who always gets the same thing cheaper and who always tries to one-up you by claiming what he got is slightly better) says my pendulum controller is no good because it won't work on steep grades. I promptly told him to go F himself. I have had no problems with towing heavy things on any grade and it is easy to adjust to different towed loads. By the way, all lighting on the truck (except the headlights) and trailer power source is 12V.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no 'lectric brakes for me.heck, the brakes on the M105 do not work... in any case I have a pigtail that will plug into the back of the truck, and can adapt the 24V to 12V with a little box with a few electrical things inside.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
SO I rented a trailer to tow my buddies forklift, filled up the propane tank for it and the darn thing would not start. I wasted 1 1/2 hours messing with it. He failed to tell me its REALLY hard to start when I asked if it ran good. I never made it up to help my buddy swap motors since the wife had a hair appt. at 3:45pm that she refused to change. We'll try again next week but with a rented fork lift that runs. It was fun driving around town with an empty trailer looking like I had to tow something. Luckily the rental yard was nice enough not to charge me after hearing my sob story.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks