• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally found something that does not work on M925A2

plainside

HI,

Trying to trouble shoot the Ether start system that does not currently work. After using the VOM and blowing air through the ether hose I found out that current is not going through a switch (assume it is a temp switch mounted on the engine block). Wired around it for now with a jumper wire. Where do I find a new switch and is it a temp switch like I think it is?

Thanks for any help!

20150102_152449.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes, the either start system has a temp. switch. this keeps some moron from giving a warm, RUNNING engine a shot of either, which a moron WILL do for a lot of reasons.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the temp when you tried to operate it?

A look at the parts TM should give you a part number.

plainside

Thanks, Thats what I thought it was. I only have a 10 level book(operators book). It was 28 degrees outside but I assume the switch opens up way above that. Might have to look at the sticky TM thread?? That might not be a Cummins part?

P1040459.jpg

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the engine run prior to trying the ether?

The TMs are free to download in the TM section.

There may even be a troubleshooting the ether system section(in the -20 level, if I had to guess).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The other thing the guys failed to mention, it should only work(read "spray ether") when your cranking the motor. If the motor isn't turning over, it shouldn't work.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other thing the guys failed to mention, it should only work(read "spray ether") when your cranking the motor. If the motor isn't turning over, it shouldn't work.
Also, check to make sure the ether bottle is not empty, additionally, your fuel may be gelled being it's been cold in MN.
Try spraying a 3-4 sec. shot of ether down the air intake, then crack it over. Report back.
JC

plainside

Brand new Kats ether bottle, only checking the system when cranking the engine! Waited till next morning to test after not using the truck to make sure it was cold. Works good with the temp switch removed, shoots out a hard stream of ether with the hose off.. just need the part at this point (temp switch is staying open when engine is cold via VOM). Thanks for the posts.

hklvette

I bypassed the temp switch on my ether system. I can understand why it was there, but I have enough sense to not pump ether into a 8.3 that is above freezing. Heck, mine starts at +25F without help, but it is a bit rough at first.

Another thing I did is replace the cork gasket where the can mounts with a properly sized o-ring since ether was leaking past the cork into the engine bay.

plainside

Ether Part Question

For the experts here. Took out the ether plug in the engine that the ether hose hooks to. Took it apart and I can not make sense of why it is not just open through it to get ether in the engine. Why the brass plug that threads in through the middle, no hole. When I removed the hose, pressurized ether came out the hose (shooting out) so it is not making it in the engine intake. Pics. Whats the deal:????

P1050307.jpgP1050306.jpgP1050308.jpgP1050309.jpg

jbayer

The long stem piece (The middle piece in pic # 3) will have a small hole down through it, and very, very small hole in the side of it. You might need to clean it up a bit. I'm thinking yours is corroded up a bit.
And the hole in the side is supposed to be clocked in a certain position in the intake. Don't remember which way.
I had to remove mine and clean it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks