• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Got My ARB Air-Lockers...

So I've finally purchased my ARB RD145 series 2.5 Ton Rockwell Air-Locking differentials for "The Duke"... I've always been a fan of 100% positive traction and very soon the truck will have it. I cannot wait to put them in next week...

I still have designs to put in a water-injection system. I also still want CTIS on my truck. I just don't have the cash for every thing right now. However, I soon will have all the parts for my super M35A2... I might just have to wait a little long on some of them.

I still plan on making the truck make over 200hp-- I think it can be easily done with a new Injection Pump, Injectors and WM-50. I'm also thinking about adding inter cooling to the already present aftercooling unit the manifold has built in. This way I can really increase the charge density...

I cannot wait to show some video of it with the new Lockers in place and working...

Any suggestions on where to go with a M35A2 in the Upstate NY area???

Barneyszoo

I put 2 in a 93 Ford Explore, bada$$, can't think of haveing 6 wheels driving. Want to hear about it, and pix.

AMX

Is it strange that my M35a3 spun all six wheels on hard dirt climbing a very very steep hill? This was after it was unable to climb any further.

Is it strange that my M35a3 spun all six wheels on hard dirt climbing a very very steep hill? This was after it was unable to climb any further.
the only traction aid I know of on a A3 is CTIS... which is okay in some circumstances but it is not a set of air-lockers on all three axles. Perhaps, some one added to them to the truck for the **** of it. Was it privately owned before you purchased it???

I put 2 in a 93 Ford Explore, bada$$, can't think of haveing 6 wheels driving. Want to hear about it, and pix.

I'll put up some video of it working once I have them all installed. However, I think completely amazing will be when I put the A3 axles under the truck with the CTIS and the Air-Lockers in combination then I'll as much positive traction as I possible can handle. So I'll get a set of chains for it any way-- because you can never have enough traction.

mudguppy

... to the already present aftercooling unit the manifold has built in. ...
this has been discussed and debunked - the intake manifold does not function as an intercooler. the design is, in fact, to warm the intake air charge.

however, i believe adding an actual intercooler will help to reduce EGTs and allow you to run more fuel. but i wonder how much fuel and boost levels you can run before the HGs give...?

congrats on the ARBs - i love having my truck locked front and rear. i'm thinking that a true 6x6 will walk pretty far into some nasty stuff!! :beer:

AMX

the only traction aid I know of on a A3 is CTIS... which is okay in some circumstances but it is not a set of air-lockers on all three axles. Perhaps, some one added to them to the truck for the **** of it. Was it privately owned before you purchased it???

No, but I have 6 dug out places to prove it. I was surprised, I expected three tires pulling.

hdmax

Not strange at all, and vehicle can spin all live axles at a time under the right circumstances, However without true lockers, you could try the same run 10 more times, and never get all tires to spin, then again, the may spin the next time you tried it.
As long as all tires get the same amount of traction, they stand a good chance of biting.

SasquatchSanta

When you get the lockers installed and the horsepower boosted are you still planning of driving "The Duke" off-road all the way from Alaska to Argentina as a promotion for Bio Diesel?

If so, are you still going to haul all the Bio Diesel for the trip in a trailer behind "The Duke?"

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the spirit and inflection of Spicoli out of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

"I Know this dude!!!"

Rick

When you get the lockers installed and the horsepower boosted are you still planning of driving "The Duke" off-road all the way from Alaska to Argentina as a promotion for Bio Diesel?

If so, are you still going to haul all the Bio Diesel for the trip in a trailer behind "The Duke?"

I just might...

DirtMagnet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cutting brakes are/is a little cheaper and effective, however selectable lockers are beast for sure. Nice job on the purchase.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air lockers would be sweet.
I would have them individually actuated, so you could just engage 1 for some extra traction without the severe load on the driveline

Air lockers would be sweet.
I would have them individually actuated, so you could just engage 1 for some extra traction without the severe load on the driveline
I plan on having them in two circuits: A) that does the front differential, B) that does the rear two differentials. This way I can use the rear differentials when I want to say go around in 6x4 but still have plenty of traction to spare. or 6x6 but would still like to turn a little. finally 6x6 fully locked (front and rear) so I can go off road with superior confidence in the truck and my abilities.

The next feature I'm really looking forward to put on the truck is CTIS and 14.5x20R tires. This way I can get the maximum amount of traction with the truck under all conditions--

Also I'm putting on an M35A3's air dryer unit-- no more freezing breaks in my baby in the winter! That will be so nice.

flyxpl

you may want to invest in heavy axle shafts . The stock shafts will not take much stress . I had an ARB in the front of a full size Bronco It would plow through snow up to the grill with my four wheeler behind on a trailer . The trailer tires were small and not even touching the ground . The bronco literally dragged the trailer on top of the snow .

duffman1993

Are you going to run air lines off of the original air system or are you going to put an auxilary air tank on the truck. I want to do the same modification with my future deuce. Maybe some lock-out hubs for the front axle. and like everybody else has said, PICS PLEASE!!!!!!
nopics

Are you going to run air lines off of the original air system or are you going to put an auxilary air tank on the truck. I want to do the same modification with my future deuce. Maybe some lock-out hubs for the front axle. and like everybody else has said, PICS PLEASE!!!!!!
nopics
The air-lockers don't show up until Tuesday to Wednesday... So I'm unable to show any pictures of anything yet. No, I'm going to run them off the standard air-reservoir. They need about few cubic inches of air flow at 90psi to operate correctly.