• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Joined The MEP Family

CT-Mike

So I went to the town hall today and filed the application for the electrical permit. I am looking at using this panel as a transfer switch:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_545630-24212-6333.0___?productId=50070403&pl=1&Ntt=generator+transfer+switch

It will be fed from a 60 amp double pole breaker on the main panel, and it will feed into a sub-panel with my vital loads on it. That way, all the wife has to do is start the generator, open the 60a feeder on the main panel, and then throw the transfer panel breakers. I need something relatively simple for her when I am working nights.

While talking this over with the building inspector, he was telling me to drive another ground rod and run a ground back to the main panel. I asked if I could just ground the generator to the existing ground rod with another acorn clamp, and he was fine with that. I also asked about un-bonding neutral and ground at the generator (as long as the neutral is not switched), and he told me to follow whatever was recommended by the manufacturer. At that point I just smiled.

Last edited:

CT-Mike

Transfer switch arrived yesterday and electrical permit has already been approved. Plan to get this done on my day off Monday.

Then it will be time to find a tank to use for aux fuel system, and start working on the Arduino monitoring setup.

CT-Mike

So $400 later, I bought the sub-panel, breakers, wiring, liquid tight conduit, flex metal conduit, etc. I also spent the morning mapping out all the circuits in the service panel as there have been a lot of changes since we finished up a huge addition to the house last year.

I now have everything I need to get it wired up and inspected. Just need a little time to get it done.

CT-Mike

Working on getting the -803 wired in to the house today. First photo shows the 6x6" PVC box covering the cable outlet on the MEP.

The second photo shows the 60amp interlocked transfer switch on the left, and the sub-panel on the right where the vital loads are powered from. The metal-flex into the bottom of the sub-panel contains the individual load wires back to the main panel. Wiring from the generator is coming into the top of the transfer panel inside the liquid tight.

More later.

Attachments

Last edited:

CT-Mike

Are those weather-ight fittings?
Yup, they are rated for outdoor use. There is a thick rubber gasket under the lid of the 6x6 box. I do plan on putting a bead of clear silicone around the box to prevent water from seeping behind it and into the generator.

CT-Mike

Mike, you might be interested in putting load meters next to your indoor panel. You can see how I did it in post #24 of this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?91430-How-have-you-civilized-your-MEP-Generators/page3

Thanks. I am working on an Arduino based monitor and already have two 0-100 amp current sensors, just. Have to work on designing the rest of the circuitry. Plan is to have is plugged in to my home network and running a web server so that I can monitor the generator from my iPad.

Triple Jim

That sounds really cool, but a pair of inexpensive, passive meters have a lot going for them as backups when the electronics let you down.

CT-Mike

Both Central AC/Heat pumps, the well pump, refrigerator, pellet stove, home theater system, and downstairs lighting all running and the generator is only at 25%. Going to add a second sub-panel and power up some more loads. The machine is liquid cooled and don't want it wet-stacking.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I know what your saying. I was surprised at what all was running and it was barely making the MEP-803A work.

Like anything, when the power is out, I use power sparingly. I am not trying to make thanksgiving dinner. (all ovens, and all burners on)

This is also why I suggest people look into using a interlock on their panel. This way they can use what they want when they want. (within reason) If your service entrance is a mainline (major brand) there probably is a $50 interlock available for it. Lights are nothing to a generator. You just need to watch the heavy stuff. Even then the MEP-803A pulls right through without issue. You will also find if your trying to put a large working load on your unit, you will have upper and lower ovens on, hot water heater, well pump, and most stove burners to even get it up to 120%.

A good workout for your unit is a good thing.
good luck.

CT-Mike

So I borrowed a Fluke 199c from a friend to look at the quality of the power coming out of the beast:

image.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of the power coming in from the utility pole, but this is much cleaner than that. Gives me a warm fuzzy about powering sensitive electronics from it.

Last edited:

CT-Mike

Building inspector was out today and signed off on my installation. I plan on sending a copy to my homeowners insurance company for them to keep on file. God forbid anything happens, but I don't want them denying a claim due to a faulty installation.

Another Ahab

Building inspector was out today and signed off on my installation. I plan on sending a copy to my homeowners insurance company for them to keep on file. God forbid anything happens, but I don't want them denying a claim due to a faulty installation.
That is sharp of you; good thinking.

CT-Mike

Only issue I had with the building inspector is that he wanted me to connect the generator to the ground rod outside, even though it's grounded to the panel in the basement and the neutral isn't switched. I tried explaining that this didn't qualify as a separately derived system but whatever.

Chrispyny

Only issue I had with the building inspector is that he wanted me to connect the generator to the ground rod outside, even though it's grounded to the panel in the basement and the neutral isn't switched. I tried explaining that this didn't qualify as a separately derived system but whatever.
Do what he wants until he signs off. After that it's your call.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks