• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Joined The MEP Family

jacobsk

Mike, if u dont mind me asking, what did u end up paying for this?
I was watching that myself, being in albany, the drive would have been 7 hours round trip. Alas, the bidding got to rich for my blood.
He won the auction for $3,311, this unit was one of five up for grabs without a trailer and along with another that ended at $3,311 it was the least expensive winning bid out of the five.

His unit did however have the second lowest hour meter reading of the lot (another had 7 hours) and his has only 16 on the meter.

While others sell around the country for less, this lot did look especially clean and recently overhauled. I can understand how a 10kW TQG for under $4k with nearly a full service life ahead of it could be a good value for many people out there.

Looks like you have a little work ahead of you OP, I hope it's a great machine and you're repairs are limited to cosmetic items! [thumbzup]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Humpy

It is for sure you have to look at least the pics over closely. I have been watching some and have seen where they have been cannablized for starters, fuel caps, wiring harnesses, etc. I got a MEP802 with 255 hours and it runs like a dream.

The most important thing is whether the flapper cover on the exhaust is gone or not and I personally would not touch one with a open exhaust unless it was a dead cheap one no one else wanted.

Anybody know what the dogs go for? I was thinking maybe a hundred bucks so for the odds and ends parts it might provide.

CT-Mike

Well,

I finally got some time to work on this. Removed the front panel and found that the fuel tank was plastic, and had a dent in it but no cracks. Added oil, coolant, fuel, and hooked up the batteries - nothing. Reset all the breakers, emergency stop switch, and then realized the dead crank switch was in off.

Once that was taken care of, I could hear the fuel pump merrily clicking away, but when I went to start it tried to crank but no joy. It seems the batteries just don't have enough juice to crank it over so tomorrow off they go to Auto-Zone for them to charge.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will be reporting that it is alive.

CT-Mike

AutoZone tells me that both Optima Red Tops that came with the set have dead cells - have to wait a bit to buy new ones.

Bad1989gt1

Hey CTmike, I too, got one from the FT Drum auction, wish i knew you were in CT we could have worked together to get them home! I did the round trip in one day "sucked BAD" but im a truck driver lol left at 330am home by 5pm ! I got the one with 416 hours , And shes a runner and makes power! atleast at the convenience plug , gotta wait for a buddy to put a load bank on her! It has a leaky fuel return line but the parts will be in tomorrow! I found a great Lister Petter dealer in New Bedford Mass, that was very helpful and will have the parts to us in 2 days for the most part! Let me know if you need their contact info ?

CT-Mike

Bad1989,

Would've been good to meet up but oh well. Sadly it appears that my fuel tank does have a leak in it after all, so I'm gonna have to replace it. I did get a quote from one company for $500, that seems a lot for a plastic tank. Looking for other options.

I could use the contact info for that dealer, thanks.

Glad to hear yours is a runner, I am hoping for the same thing.

Bad1989gt1

Dont toss those batteries ,i have friends with these batteries that are over 10 years old and still going! I trickeled them both overnight and then tested them and mine are perfect , autozone are just trying to sell parts ! Do you have all the Napa /Wix numbers for the filters? as far as the tank i'd find someone to plastic HOT weld it , or sand it good clean with a solvent and JB weld it ! What town are you in?

CT-Mike

I live in Ledyard. I do plan on putting the batteries on a trickle charger for a few days and hope for the best. I have to pull the tank and check it over.

Bad1989gt1

Gotcha im in Oxford , have some friends out in Scotland and Brooklyn though. Let me know if i can help any! Its my first go at a MEP! but know trucks and engines pretty well but this is a little learning curve! lol

smartguy74

Everyone's on the mark! Yes, the prices were rocking! I grew up using the 003 thru 007 in the sandbox in '91. The stuff came from 10-3 Brigade deactivation and the prices showed why. It's all gone now.
I got the last 804A and brought it back Monday. It came complete w/everything except a manual. It still has the reset QC sheet from 2-2012. New engine, etc.... The M200A1 trailer the 804a sits on ran down the line in 2-2012. The Army should have pushed these units into the units still running older MEPs.
Anyways, I had to do was add oil, coolant, fuel and she started on the second turn of the knob. It's 75% quieter than its predecessor in my opinion. The batteries were still up-just had to reconnect 'me.

smartguy74

Everyone's on the mark! Yes, the prices were rocking! I grew up using the 003 thru 007 in the sandbox in '91. The stuff came from 10-3 Brigade deactivation and the prices showed why. It's all gone now.
I got the last 804A and brought it back Monday. It came complete w/everything except a manual. It still has the reset QC sheet from 2-2012. New engine, etc.... The M200A1 trailer the 804a sits on ran down the line in 2-2012. The Army should have pushed these units into the units still running older MEPs.
Anyways, I had to do was add oil, coolant, fuel and she started on the second turn of the knob. It's 75% quieter than its predecessor in my opinion. The batteries were still up-just had to reconnect '

smartguy74

I brought home an 803A from drum and those big$$$ are justified. Almost all of those units were reset in 2-2012, which makes them essentially brand new. The TQG is 75% less noisy than the 003-007 predecessors. Amazing difference and easy on fuel. The M200A1 trailer chassis under the 804A is 3x years old.

NEIOWA

Engine parts for the Onan engine on the 803 still available from Onan/Cummins? That alone would be a significant advantage over the 002/003

CDR

Engine parts for the Onan engine on the 803 still available from Onan/Cummins? That alone would be a significant advantage over the 002/003
It's actually listerpeter and yes for one **** of a price a few gaskets cost me $100 I'm scared to ask what internals cost!

jimbo913

I had some bidding issues on those units but really didn't want to drive in the snow and cold anyway. Worked out in the end though as I got a really nice one for less a couple months later.

Hope it turned out good for everyone who bought them.

CT-Mike

So here it is 7 months later and I've still yet to get the fuel tank pulled. SWMBO is on my ass to have this thing running and connected prior to nasty weather. So much for relaxing on my 2 days off this week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks