• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Findlay OH 2016 Military show. May 20-22nd

jw4x4

I always enjoy Findlay. Great show with even better people. It's always a pleasure to see good friends and meet new ones. A social gathering and distribution hub all rolled into one. And again, nobody wanted to buy the m1061. I picked up some parts for spares for my short bus.

Another Ahab

I got back home from the show earlier today, another great time was had. Once again, I cheapskated out on the Huey ride unfortunately, I let my wallet get in the way of my fun....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! I'm doing it next year for sure.

It was great to see all the old friends and meet a few new ones as well. Always have a great time hanging out with the SteelSoldiers gang, can't wait until next year!
I second the motion, and I learned that myself at a little (4) vehicle mini-rally that me and a few drivers cobbled together a week or two back:

- SteelSoldiers people are good people, and you won't go wrong spending time together where the opportunities come up.
Cheers to all the Shows and Rallies! :beer:

B3.3T

I made it up Friday for a while. Great show. Got my stuff from Matt. Found some other cool stuff. I'll be back next year for sure. As for the Huey rides, it goes to Knob Creek too. The ride there is over the Kentucky forests and north side of Ft. Knox. Really awesome.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Brother rode in a Blackhawk when he was stationed in Bosnia and he said he was all belted in and the last thing they do before taking off is open the doors. That's how they fly them, same with the Huey and yes, the standard seat belt (from Vietnam Era) even fit me.

Did I mention that the ride was AWESOME!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Brother rode in a Blackhawk when he was stationed in Bosnia and he said he was all belted in and the last thing they do before taking off is open the doors. That's how they fly them, same with the Huey and yes, the standard seat belt (from Vietnam Era) even fit me.

Did I mention that the ride was AWESOME!!!
I saw a pic of the person thanking your post strapped in the Huey. Looked like much fun and great company. Save me a spot for my rocking chair, I plan to be there next year Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

tobyS

Great to meet some new friends. Thanks especially to Gimpyrobb.

Hey dhwife, I went to a (former) salvage yard where the dad collected military for years and years and it's setting throughout the hills and in a few buildings. Son is now disposing of them. He has several w37's in various stages of decomposition (most M37's appeared to be outside) and also several weasels in the backs of older 5 tons. Weasels are under roof, appeared good to reasonable condition and waiting for TLC. Pm me....I'm working on buying other stuff from him.

Edit;They are English Ferrets, not Weasel.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

What a great time with friends!
dhwife, you are the undisputed Queen of the selfies; thanks for the great pics! [thumbzup]

It's hard to tell, but is that a barrage balloon getting inflated in those shots, or is it a parachute getting opened or what!?

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Well, after a side trip or two to pick up some stuff on the way home I got in a little before 1 AM after just under 500 miles in the M923A2. That thing has already had the accelerator linkage MWO done on it but still takes a lot of foot pressure to run at highway speeds. My leg was screaming at me by the time I got back. I had to stop a few times to walk off impending cramps.....

I had a great time. It was good to be able to put faces with names and to actually meet some folks I've corresponded with and done business with for years.

During the confusion of all of us packing one of my ration heater went astray. If anyone finds an extra in their horde when they unload please let me know.

That'll be my last show until Gilbert in September. Are any of you yahoos planning on going there?

The Huey brought back memories of my youth (and early middle age to be truthful). As far as doors/no doors and open/closed it all depended on the time and circumstances. A lot of the time the doors were left off and when they were mounted they were rarely closed anyway. Sometimes they were closed on purpose as a deception measure. One favored technique for inserting small units such as recon teams was to keep the doors shut and to touch-and-go stops at several LZs. The extra stops and the closed doors made it much harder for the baddies to figure out where the scouts got inserted. That was back before the "kinder gentler Army" when a common technique was to have any artillery within range prep all those LZs instead of just the primary one for the same deception purposes too......

Oh, and given the number of SS folks there I think I'll bring a bigger smoker next year, too.

Lance

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dhwife, you are the undisputed Queen of the selfies; thanks for the great pics! [thumbzup]

It's hard to tell, but is that a barrage balloon getting inflated in those shots, or is it a parachute getting opened or what!?
For some reason, certain SS members have a thing for playing with parachutes. I sold my 100 foot orange and white missile recovery chute so I would not be tempted.

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a great time at Findlay! Picked up everything on my list, especially the hard to find M142-M4 Mount for our M151! Lots of great people and the weather cooperated for the most part. Hope to see some of you folks again in CA!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Pat sorry you and some of the others didn't make it this year, but glad some of the new people did.
I did not get back till late this afternoon, just one side trip to the BeefCo Dis hub and decided I would stop in IL for the night to catch up on sleep.
Less that 8 miles into IN I had to come out of retirement. There are 2 compact cars between the two trucks, there was nothing me or anybody could do for those poor souls, they went in a blink of an eye. Just another reminder to do what you want when you can ads you never know when the ride will end.
findlay16.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad to hear everyone is home safe!

Lance, I can't believe I forgot to grab some of that turkey you made to bring home! It was Soooo good. Thanks again for fixing it!

I too enjoyed hanging out with old friends and meeting some new ones! There were such great deals and even some were gimmies!
I'm still unloading, re-arranging the warehouse, and preping for a loadout. No rest for the wicked I suppose.
I really hope next year anyone who was thinking of going will attend, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanted to say I had a great time seeing everybody! This is my 3rd year going to the show and I really enjoy seeing everybody. You all make me feel like family and its truly great. Thanks and I hope to see you all next year!

~Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks