• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finished painting my cab Sunday

littlebob

I've been doing bodywork off and on on the replacement cab for a while and finally told myself, good enough. I repainted a lot of cars in my youth and always tried to make them perfect, but laess then perfect would be normal in this situation
littlebob

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow....that looks good....... :beer:

littlebob

Thanks Clinto,
I spent a lot of time on the cab, becuse it was such a pain, I will probably speed through the rest of the work to try and get it back on the road sooner.
littlebob

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Taking things apart and doing it step by step is often the only way to go. Excellent welding job!
What's the rush in getting it on the road, you are having as much fun now as ever, right? :)

BillIdaho

Looks great! Based on the color of the soot in the second picture, the particular shine of the replacement plate, and the appearance of the weld itself, and having welded for too many years, I would darn-near bet that the replacement steel was galvanized coated. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but in this field, I have been around the block, and welding anything that has a galvanized coating is bad Ju-Ju!!! Welding it creates extrememly toxic gas. As the story was told to me, the same gas they woof people with in a prisons gas chamber!! ( I don't remember the exact name of the gas.) I do know that it never leaves your system, kind of an accumulative process. BE CAREFUL!!! Weld it outside, with a respirator. A good one.

That being said...like I said....LOOKS GOOD. When can I drop mine off?

Stan

Nice metal work. I think because it can look OK if things don't have a brand new appearance, no shiney paint or chromed stuff is a big reason I look playing with the green stuff.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heckuva job with the sheet metal repair! With body guys like you, we can keep these trucks running and looking good for another 40-50 years!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think because it can look OK if things don't have a brand new appearance, no shiney paint or chromed stuff is a big reason I look playing with the green stuff.

Hee hee, not a bad plan. Wait till you send all the chrome plated pot metal for a '60's car off to be re-plated.

I once sent a shoebox full of stuff to be re-plated for my '68 440 GTX and got a $1900 bill for it....... :shock:

littlebob

Looks great! Based on the color of the soot in the second picture, the particular shine of the replacement plate, and the appearance of the weld itself, and having welded for too many years, I would darn-near bet that the replacement steel was galvanized coated. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but in this field, I have been around the block, and welding anything that has a galvanized coating is bad Ju-Ju!!! Welding it creates extrememly toxic gas. As the story was told to me, the same gas they woof people with in a prisons gas chamber!! ( I don't remember the exact name of the gas.) I do know that it never leaves your system, kind of an accumulative process. BE CAREFUL!!! Weld it outside, with a respirator. A good one.
Yes it was galvanized, I don't remember the gauge, a friend had it left over from his Willys jeep and although I was very carefull about the fumes on the galvanized stuff, I know, I got a good dose of the CARC fumes when heating up my tongue jack on the M51 trailer. Anybody have any experience with CARC poisening?
littlebob

jasonjc

When I was at Ft Bragg some extar duty guy were painting the brarcks and ran out of paint. The sgt in charge (also extar duty) went to the motor pool and got some more paint. It was CARC. They ended up in the hospital for days.

ToddInMT

Well.

With respect to CARC, i don't think that applies here if he was down to bare metal. and if it does, i cant find anything specific on it with regards to welding/inhalation after these types of coatings dry.

If it was galvanized, I found this:

Chronic inhalation of high concentrations of iron oxide fumes or dusts may lead to a benign
pneumoconiosis (siderosis). Inhalation of high concentrations of ferric oxide may possibly enhance the
risk of lung cancer development in workers exposed to pulmonary carcinogens.
The inhalation of high concentrations of freshly formed oxide fumes and dusts of Manganese,
Copper, Lead and/or Zinc in the respirable particle size range can cause an influenza-like illness termed
metal fume fever. Typical symptoms last 12 to 48 hours and are characterized by metallic taste in the
mouth, dryness and irritation of the throat, followed by weakness, muscle pain, fever and chills.

they say pneumoconiosis (siderosis) is benign, but it can be permanent and would act like new onset asthma. so a bad thing.

The 'metal fume fever' seems to be transient and no big deal. flu like symptoms that clear. I guess would try to avoid it, but it doesn't seem to have any lasting effects.

but everything i found says to avoid (of course) and have good ventilation (of course).

It was a quick and dirty search (no pun!) hope it helps. if you have more specific questions, ask or pm me.

cheers.

FSBruva

littlebob said:
I got a good dose of the CARC fumes when heating up my tongue jack on the M51 trailer. Anybody have any experience with CARC poisening?
littlebob
I think this is the CARC poisoning reference...

Matt