• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Extinguisher

SandM1010

Does anyone know what's inside the fire extinguishers that were used in the CUCV trucks? Are they safe to still have in the truck? I have 2 that were in my M1010. Both appeared to be filled with a liquid and seem full, there's no gauge. Curious if they could have become hazardous over time. thanks I will Take a photo soon and post.

D6T

Are you sure they are fire extinguishers and not DS2 sprayers?

The decon spray bottle would contain DS2, which is caustic, I forgot if it’s closer to hypochloric acid or bleach.

(Neat fact that most people would never guess: instead of a pull pin to secure the handle against accidental discharge, the spray bottle has a lead plug that’s intended for the user to just squeeze the handle through in order to use it.)

A fire extinguisher contents may possibly be determined by its appearance. A label with the NFPA classification may or may not be present.

A red body with a hose or short barrel likely indicates water or dry chemical.

A rigid “horn” that swivels is for CO2.

A small silver body and metal hardware, with a short hose or barrel, is likely “purple K” for grease fires and combustible cooking by-products—found in kitchens but not CUCVs!

A larger silver body and hose is likely water, a neat can to have around as you can fill it with water and pressurize with a common air pump.

This has been your daily lesson in such things, brought to you by someone who’s been in both NBC and firefighter roles.

Last edited:

Crazyguyla

The decon spray bottle would contain DS2, which is caustic, I forgot if it’s closer to hypochloric acid or bleach.

(Neat fact that most people would never guess: instead of a pull pin to secure the handle against accidental discharge, the spray bottle has a lead plug that’s intended for the user to just squeeze the handle through in order to use it.)

A fire extinguisher contents may possibly be determined by its appearance. A label with the NFPA classification may or may not be present.

A small silver body and metal hardware, with a short hose or barrel, is likely “purple K” for grease fires and combustible cooking by-products—found in kitchens but not CUCVs!

A larger silver body and hose is likely water, a neat can to have around as you can fill it with water and pressurize with a common air pump.

This has been your daily lesson in such things, brought to you by someone who’s been in both NBC and firefighter roles.
DS 2 is its own corrosive nightmare. I remember packing leaking canisters in vermiculite. DS2 and bleach, big bad fire..

jasonjc

Purple K is for fuel fires and would or could be in a CUCV. Now a "class K" fire extinguisher is more for use in a kitchen.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i looked closer at the label on the second one, its CF3BR Halon.
Halon is the good stuff. We have about a dozen of them posted around our computer equipment. Still need to disconnect the power to stop the fire - but Halon is the thing to use to extinguish fire in a computer cabinet. It doesn't make the gosh awful white powder mess like the "ABC" dry chemical extinguisher. AND you can still breathe after using Halon too...

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Halon is the good stuff. We have about a dozen of them posted around our computer equipment. Still need to disconnect the power to stop the fire - but Halon is the thing to use to extinguish fire in a computer cabinet. It doesn't make the gosh awful white powder mess like the "ABC" dry chemical extinguisher. AND you can still breathe after using Halon too...
Funny story, had a co worker set off the halon charge in a massive server room. We both nearly suffocated before we made it out. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the OEM extinguishers in my V-100 with new Halotron ones. I'm not betting my vehicle on a 1960's fire extinguisher, no matter what the gauge on it says.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks