• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Extinguishers and other parts

Opie

Any suggestions as to good sources for appropriate fire extinguishers for a deuce?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> They don’t need to be OD and authentic military spec.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I’ve two empty brackets in the cab which need to be filled if I wish to protect my investment.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Advance auto has them for about $60.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

What is the folding bumper step properly called, and where might they be obtained?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> I’m growing weary of taking a running leap to open the hood…

<o:p> </o:p>

On the topic of hoods, some hoods have a handle (at the nose/bow/front end) to assist with hoisting the thing.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Are those add-ons, and where could I find them, too?

Armada

Pete, TNJ used to have the folding front bumper step kit, nos p/n 12300799, don't know if they still do or not. You can also take one of the steps off of your tailgate if you have a cargo truck, and mount that under the front bumper.
You can mount a grab handle on your hood like the ones used on the cab. I used a handle on my hood that is used on the outside front frame rail. It sure is a pain to get that heavy hood open without something to lift with.

Hope that helps.

Loose Deuce

I use a small 2 step folding step ladder, its about 3' tall. I keep it in the truck always for that climbing stuff. My boot slipped off the tailgate step and french kissed the ground a while back so I use a that step ladder.

Thats a good tip about that grab handle, I was going to thread a piece of 3/8" bar, I'll just get one of those frame handles now.

Loose Deuce

Opie, Forgot to mention I use a cheap one I had in my bass boat. I got it from Wal-Mart and its Red. they dont cost that much if you just want one without being official military, I going to paint mine 383 Green just to see what it looks like.

MVtrucker

Rare to find the extinguishers in a color other than red. The hood handles are
an added item. Hearsay has it that the Marines and/or Navy usually installed
them. When it comes to lifting the hood, I stand between the bumper and
front of the truck to unlatch and lift the hood some, then I step out and walk
it up. If you try this, don't let the hood slam against the cab top/windshield
frame. Being tall is sometimes an advantage, other times I keep bumpin'
my head on things.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You get those bumps on your head too? I have a couple little bald spots thanks to bumping into things that don't move. At 6' 8'', lifting the hood easy. But that dang hard top is close enough to hurt on a good bump.

Last edited:

MVtrucker

You'd think I learned something from almost fifty years of doing oil burner service and finding so many floor joists and beams, but I didn't.
Ya got me beat on height, I'm 6'-5"
One of my old ladies got a real kick out of me banging my head against a MG bumperette. She just loved the ring of it when I smacked my head.

Loose Deuce

Just found some regular military Fire Extingishers at sprucemtsurplus I was supposed to call them back and check on price but I got some lead in my pocket, will try Monday because I would like one also.