• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First day of wrenching on my M1078

coachgeo

Glad to help! Anything else you need from me?

Reinstalled the handles, the red neck jury rigged drivers side handle works and works well!....
tell us more about this Redneck handle hack. Is this the wire pull hack or? Even if the wire pull hack, still curious how that is done.

sargentwolf

It is a wire handle mod. Im currently about 3 hours from the warehouse, but Ill try to describe what I did.

Took the door handle out of the door, drilled a small hole in the swing arm on the operating side. I took heavy gauge safety wire and made a loop through the drilled hole with plastic hose for a softer grab handle on the wire. Crimped a pair of ferrids on there to lock everything down. As long as you pull up and out gently, it opens. I will post a few pictures of it Monday.

As luck would have it, the broken part of the handle was somewhere on the cab and fell to the ground the last time I tilted the cab. Going to try next week to get it rewelded, I think it can be done as its a clean break.

coachgeo

...As luck would have it, the broken part of the handle was somewhere on the cab and fell to the ground the last time I tilted the cab. Going to try next week to get it rewelded, I think it can be done as its a clean break.
Look forward to how reweld goes. Curious the makeup of the metal of the components and how he welds them based on what type metal he thinks it is. Wondering if he Brazes it Mig welds it on orr???

aleigh

Did you ever find the troop alarm cable? I was just out searching for mine and I don't see it, although there's a zip-tied bundle of wire and I wonder if it's buried in there. I recently got a NOS troop alarm switch and I'd like to hook it up...

aleigh

Did you ever find the troop alarm cable? I was just out searching for mine and I don't see it, although there's a zip-tied bundle of wire and I wonder if it's buried in there. I recently got a NOS troop alarm switch and I'd like to hook it up...
Nevermind - I found it. It's on page 20-465 of TM 9-2320-364-20-5. The cable comes out of the cab and winds up around the fuel separator where there's a plug. A cable plugs into that, then plugs into the troop switch, which I am missing. Looks like fairly ordinary amphenol on the switch end but it's some weird looking plug I don't recognize on the truck end.

sargentwolf

Red river parts has the cable, 25 dollars.

@coachgeo: he couldn't do it. It's some goofy alloy, so took it to a welding shop. They are going to try to see if they can do it, going to drill out the rivets, reweld, reassemble, rivet. Will update when I get it back.

sargentwolf

Yeah, but weld shop is 75/hour and I told them to not go over 2 hours...

Another thing I should have mentioned in the last update! Replaced all indicator bulbs with led bulbs from napa. 1156 bulbs in a 2 pack ran 19 bucks. Bright as all get out and fixed my alternator needle bouncing problem mostly...huh.

Waltjg

Sargentwolf, did you ever find a windshield? I need one too, and have been watching for a good deal for some time now... I've been trying Red River Parts & Equipment (I heard they had them), but website won't load, and phone is disconnected. Did they retire? Anyone know??

sargentwolf

Thats where I got mine from. Been calling them for months about getting a bunch of expensive parts, but no one would call me back. I saw that as well, I have no idea what happened.

Doing a quick google search found on fleabay a M1078 windshield and seal for 499. They show up on there often. Once you get it, have safelite do the removal and install.

Waltjg

Thanks for the quick reply! What did you pay for shipping on your windshield? That has been a major obstacle, as any I have seen have been in the east, and I am in the west.

What parts are you looking for? I have a few parts...

sargentwolf

I had ordered a number of things, so it was cheaper. Plus picked up from the local shipping freight dock. Think 40 bucks? They were able to cram everything onto one oversized pallet.

I was looking for a starter, new cab airbags, and front shocks. But holding off on the suspension parts until next year or so, mine still have SOME life left. Did find a take off starter on amazon of all places. Also needed a new battery, but Interstate had ONE in stock in St Louis, so fixed that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks