• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Delivery HMMWVs Paint color?

HUMVEE1

Ok, so that means your truck was made in late 1984 and is M1037 000016, if the #16 is correct, and it certainly could be.
That would make it the oldest known (to me) production truck, and a pre mass production truck. Your truck was made in Lavonia, Mi. before the plant moved to Indiana with the new tooling.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so that means your truck was made in late 1984 and is M1037 000016, if the #16 is correct, and it certainly could be.
That would make it the oldest known (to me) production truck, and a pre mass production truck. Your truck was made in Lavonia, Mi. before the plant moved to Indiana with the new tooling.
Thanks for the info. Other things about it: It has the heavy rear suspension and the airdrop bumper. It did not pass whatever testing was done to it, as the frame was buckled right ahead of the rear suspension. I suppose a 3000 lb shelter did that to it during an airdrop or test course jump. It was no fun fixing the frame a long time ago.

HUMVEE1

I could be wrong on this, but I believe there were three phases of prototypes followed by early production trucks under the 2334 truck contract and then mass production trucks for the 50,000 truck contract.
All were progressively different.
The first prototype had 5 competitors and looked like the dune buggy deal.

The phase II prototypes had two competitors and had the odd aluminum hoods, winning the contract.

The phase III prototypes had the standard Humvee shape and were produced for testing and evaluation as AM General had won the contract. Still each part was different than the production model. Ironically it had a factory fuel sender service panel !

Attachments

Last edited:

HUMVEE1

Your rear fenders should have a slightly different assembly configuration and rivet pattern than the mass produced truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks