• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time buyer questions

joshs1ofakindxj

Wow, I don't hear of many people moving TO NY state. I just left after attending college near Rochester, NY and I'm never going back. Had a good friend from Plattsburgh. Upstate is pretty beautiful.

I got my truck in Syracuse. It was in great condition overall. I would wait till you move and buy up there.

Lex_Ordo

If your set on a duece buy one in really good shape and learn as you go.:beer:
Great words of wisdom. I did exactly that, 4 years ago, and it has been a fun learning experience. Dueces are a lot of fun. Heavy work for some things, but all mechanical, and relatively easy to work on.
As long as you find one with little to no rust as I did, you can spend your money making it look new (if this is your desire).

Parts are relatively in-expensive considering that the duece is every bit a truck, and there are some great surplus places, and shows, to buy almost anything you need for it.

If you are able to take a trip, I recomend going to the Aberdeen MV swap meet and show. Lots of vehicles, parts, accessories, surplus, and board members that are ready and willing to help out a fellow MV hobbyist.

Good luck. Let us know the progress.
This is what you can make your duece look like.

Attachments

lawdog1623

Good luck finding one. I waited for a couple of years. Pm me and ill give you a guy to contact in the area of red river army depot in hooks tx.

Seth_O

There's not really a lot on a deuce that is complicated or overly difficult, add to that the fact that there are extremely comprehensive manuals that tell you step-by-step (with pics) of how to do everything from open the door to rebuild the engine.

I bought my first deuce, drove it home 750 miles, picked up an M105 on the way and had it bobbed within a couple of weeks.

The challenge with a deuce is that everything is 2-3x in size and weight from a civvy vehicle, and ultimately you are working on a ~30+ yr old truck that has been used hard.

I would not recommend buying one in TX and driving it to NY - having done a long drive myself ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks