• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time buyer questions

joshs1ofakindxj

Wow, I don't hear of many people moving TO NY state. I just left after attending college near Rochester, NY and I'm never going back. Had a good friend from Plattsburgh. Upstate is pretty beautiful.

I got my truck in Syracuse. It was in great condition overall. I would wait till you move and buy up there.

Lex_Ordo

If your set on a duece buy one in really good shape and learn as you go.:beer:
Great words of wisdom. I did exactly that, 4 years ago, and it has been a fun learning experience. Dueces are a lot of fun. Heavy work for some things, but all mechanical, and relatively easy to work on.
As long as you find one with little to no rust as I did, you can spend your money making it look new (if this is your desire).

Parts are relatively in-expensive considering that the duece is every bit a truck, and there are some great surplus places, and shows, to buy almost anything you need for it.

If you are able to take a trip, I recomend going to the Aberdeen MV swap meet and show. Lots of vehicles, parts, accessories, surplus, and board members that are ready and willing to help out a fellow MV hobbyist.

Good luck. Let us know the progress.
This is what you can make your duece look like.

Attachments

lawdog1623

Good luck finding one. I waited for a couple of years. Pm me and ill give you a guy to contact in the area of red river army depot in hooks tx.

Seth_O

There's not really a lot on a deuce that is complicated or overly difficult, add to that the fact that there are extremely comprehensive manuals that tell you step-by-step (with pics) of how to do everything from open the door to rebuild the engine.

I bought my first deuce, drove it home 750 miles, picked up an M105 on the way and had it bobbed within a couple of weeks.

The challenge with a deuce is that everything is 2-3x in size and weight from a civvy vehicle, and ultimately you are working on a ~30+ yr old truck that has been used hard.

I would not recommend buying one in TX and driving it to NY - having done a long drive myself ;-)