• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First time Cracking into the Military Truck world.

YkDave

Thanx Stan like I said lets all just try to weed thru the B.S. and mis information ignore the people that are mis informed or are just trying to be confrontational (after all isnt that what Yahoo chat is for) keep our eye on the ball and push foward. Answer if you have something constructive to add.

and Yes YkDave you are sorry

MasterTech
Byron Parkinson
Maximum Performance Inc.
Puyallup Wa.
LOL, too funny...

Again, everyone has their OPINION on whats best, and thats just fine.

I have PERSONALLY seen what Hytrans and Hygard does to automotive automatic trannys (Th400s and 47RE/RH's) and its not pretty. For that reason alone i would shy away from it and continue to use good ol 10w in it (which again, has been working for the last 50+ years, so why not a couple more)

Im not saying that these trannys have quite as bad of a reaction to this fluid, they probably dont. They likely have alot less clutch apply pressure, so the clutches wont get torn up right away like a newer trans, but why fix something that isnt broken.

Again, to each their own. run what you want. Some guys have good luck running one type of fluid, while others do not. Run whatever works best for you, if you f'k it up, its a fairly easy job to rebuild these trannys if you can find parts.

While we are at filling out our personal information (if that makes you feel special)

David Werrell
NWT Diesel
HD/LD tech
Eaton hydraulics cert
Yellowknife, NT

LaHaver

Thanks for you input.So many varilables and combinations.

. I had a guy stop by today by coincidence that had a Deuce back in the day and he checked under the hood and said "oh yes thats a 302, exact same as what mine looked like". 2 hold down nuts on the cam cover...deep oil pan etc...He also said he used 10W oil in the Tranny
Then I took a trip down the road and checked out 2 old, what I assume are M211's with the dual wheels, one having a dump box. Along with a parts yellow duece,said it was used at an airport. And I seen the same motor in them as what I had and he said they were 302. So i'm pretty confident. It's just nice to 100% what you have.

I told the guy( he was the brother of the owner who wasn't there) that I don't need them but I'd buy them if he has no use for them, which they no longer do. So he's going to see if he will sell them and for how much.

I'll be posting detailed photos hopefully in the next day or two of the engine, interior, etc. I got all 6 wheels chained now while I'm waiting for the manifold story to finish. Next will be a Winch. and I guess a PTO setup I think to run it.

Last edited:

LaHaver

Ouch Atomic! Live and Seriously learnd you did there! I was nervous when they Backed of the M135 of the flatdeck, he was rushing and I had to make another appointment and she didn't roll off the whole way..Figured one of the brakes was sticking. So you were being towed but not in neutral..****

YkDave Thanks for reminding me about Alfa, I browsed through it quick when I first Got the deuce. I already have a list of things I'd love to get, hopfully those this guy I found 30 minutes away, from what I hear has evertything and anything for miltary trucks that's new or less then 30,000 kms. He won the bid for amassive amount of military stuff from the Gov a while ago. I'll try and sneak some photos of what he has. He's pricey but the parts are mint from what I hear.

I found this Winch 20,000lb 1400 bucks. But The whole kit for 1500 is a much better option.I'll see what the local guy has as my 3rd option.

20,000 lb Garwood Winch and Cable - Halifax Parts, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Halifax Canada.

So much to tackle and so interesting, Wish I started all this when I was 16.

YkDave

That garwood would be nice, but you would still have to deal with the PTO.

Although the factory winch is pretty small (10k), the price is decent and at least it will be a direct bolt-in.

If your scared that its not enough winch (which it really isnt if you actually get the truck buried), make sure its got good cable on it and bring a snatchblock with you!

It all depends on what you plan to do with the truck. If your using it in the bush alot, in places you may get stuck often, i would opt for a larger winch.

I have a 20ton and 30ton mechanical winch kicking around. the 30T is f'n huge, but the 20t is pretty small and would fit nicely in the bed of the truck behind the cab. one of these days i will rig it up.

LaHaver

Yeah I will be in the woods alot with this on a 175 acre woodlot and then plowing 700 foot driveway and god knows who elses, plus if someone else gets stuck then I want to be able to pull them out. Along with myself of coarse because if I get stuck.....well that's not going to be fun.

I imagine the 30 ton is insane! what size cable would you use?

I'm hoping to get lucky with these M211 and find a PTO setup on them, or this guy 30 minutes away.

If not, Alfa I go.

YkDave

They are off of winch trucks, so the cable is F'n huge. Safety/longevity was more of a factor for that kind of application so they typically use as big of cable as they could reasonably fit on the spool.

The 20ton has 1.5" cable on it and the 30t has 1 7/8" cable!

I will likely go the route of the 20ton winch and go with 3/4" or 7/8" cable. Safe working load on a cable of this size (depending on its construction) is in the 10-13k/lb range and min breaking strength is around 45-65k/lbs

Once you find yourself a PTO adapter, you can literally run anything you want. The worst part is trying to find one of the original PTOs!

kip151

Hi, just let you know that the (only):razz: and correct oil for the hydra- automatic in the 1950's m135 trucks was 10w (NON- DETERGENT) oil. If anything else is used it will swell up the seals in the trans. which will cause leaks. Lets face it then, who checks the fluid everday once it is leaking. The other recommendation is to use the trans. ever couple days. Do you think your modern day vehicle would like sitting around off and on for months with no use?

LaHaver

Yeah I figure I'll use the 10W non detergent.

Update;

Bought a 302 motor with Transmission and a 10 year old manifold for 125 bucks delivered.

I swapped the manifolds and then realized that when the guy took it out of his duece( he's putting in a diesel) and must of snapped off the hose going from the top of the valve cover to the manifold and the 1/8" metal tubing going from either end were snapped!!!!!!!!!. I had a wierd feeling but,,geez.

The question that comes to mind is, should I drill out the fitting from the manifold and put in the proper fitting and hose to the motor( which I have from the bousted manifold)

Or

Plug it off somehow. ...I figure that hose is essential for raising the oil in the motor...but I could be wrong....sigh