• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Time GL Buyer Advice?

i been watching GL Auctions for a few months and i cant find any rim to the biding. 1 will go for 1500 for a m35a2 and a identical one same place and same condition will go for 350. the one thing i have learned is I'm gonna avoid m35a3's because the bidding get hot on there.

i wanting to get a m35a2 of my own and i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to get a low price on a street legal rig that i can fix up and tinker on but still drive on a regular basis???

Westech

CPL
well do all the reading you can on here... take a couple months and figure things out. IF you want a "magic" pill to get you your cheap deuce.. Well its not going to happen. I picked one up for little over 1K this winter but will have 1500-2000 in to it before it can hit the road again. Figure whatever you buy it for double the cost and that will get you on the road.
But first read the TM's and play around here on SS for a while.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have bought running deuces for $1000.00 each and I have paid up to $3500.00 for a winch truck all tricked out and loaded with BII.

A lot of it depends on where you are and how many trucks are up for bid at a particular site......generally the more trucks, the less they sell for...but that is not a given.

If you are only going to buy one truck I would go with a private seller.......you can preview and drive the truck and you willnot have to jump through GL's hoops.

You will pay more but peace of mind is worth a lot.

GoldComet6

Welcome to the site!!

I'd suggest get with a few local members who own Deuces and get the low-down on them 1st. Ask them questions of what to look for and what to avoid. See if they will take you for a ride and then allow you to drive it. That way you'll know you're comfortable handling one and have a handle on what's involved. Make sure you're ready to own a 13,000 lb truck. Keep in mind the maintenance, fuel, tires and repair cost of a Deuce. Add the recovery cost, insurance, etc....so plan and budget for those also.

Regarding the GL auctions: for a new Deuce owner I'll say previewing is a must. Buy the best one you can & spend a little more for a complete & good running truck. See if you can get another member to go with you on the preview (maybe buy them lunch or offer to pay for their time). I learned a lot just going to the GL lots and looking at the trucks, plus it was just fun! Yes the prices are sometimes too high, so I guess buyers get excited and run the prices up for trucks that are not really worth it. Other times I've seen nice, clean running M35A2s with hardtops go for about $1500.

Take your time - they're a lot of them out there & look at provate party sales too. We have classifieds!!!!!

Search the Deuces forums for advice, specs, common question info and start reading the TM manuals.
Good luck!!:beer:

Last edited:
i acutely had a local member in my area contact me already, the he said him and some Friends will be getting together July 4th and invited me. but I'm basically looking for a basic truck with hoops and safari windows would probably better then a removable top. i take some meds that direct sun makes me sick and burns me fast. so hard top with safari windows and a canvass covered bed probably be best for my situation. I'm still trying to find whats the best way to buy one but i figured id lurk around SS for awhile because going take me some time to save for one. but i figure this is the one dream I can afford if i can avoid dealer's LOL.

area52

After you win a truck how long do you have to wait before you can pick it up?
You have to fill out an End User Certificate EUC, generally first time buyers take a little while but they have been moving faster from what I hear. Once the EUC is ok'd, then they send you a Paid in full Invoice and you can go get the truck.

Please note, as soon as you win the auction you have to pay for it, then do the EUC and waiting game.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the EUC do? What does it mean?

Sounds like what you have to do when you buy a hand gun. Do they want to make sure you dont use the deuce as a deadly weapon...lol

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the help guys with the info about EUC meaning.

And congrats to goldwing on your Two M105 win!

goldwing2000

Banned
Thanks for the help guys with the info about EUC meaning.

And congrats to goldwing on your Two M105 win!
Thanks!

So how long does somebody have to pick up their items after the EUC clears? I tried to find the answer on GL's web site but couldn't.

Oh, here's pics. They aren't perfect but they appear to be complete and the tires all hold air, so I'm happy.

Attachments

asgtoolman

My first EUC in November 2010 took 8 weeks; my second in February 2011 took 3 weeks.
You have 10 working days to pick up item after being notified of approval.
The two items I have won [at Eastover SC] the site manager was pretty specific on when they could be picked up; Tuesdays from 0800 to 1030--did not want to cross him altho he was easy to work with; in and out in less than 30 minutes each time.
Actually would have loved to spend more time looking around at future sale items, but he did not really allow that.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks