• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fixing the Model H82/83 Engineered Air Systems Heaters

AIE1

I'm looking for a Thermostatic, Switch for a Heater, Duct Type, Portable, HDU-36/E, 120,000 BTU, Model H82. Does anyone know of any surplus dealer or just plan folks that might have some of these heaters they want to part out?

The part I need has a FSN 5930-01-294-5759, part number 668Z-670 was made by White Rogers Co. or Engineered Air Systems, Inc.
If you are familiar with this unit, it is called the "combustion control relay (K8).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

AIE1

Kyle, I loaned mine to a friend to use in his shop, there was no trouble with it. The only thing I say about them is you have to let them have a cool down time as required by the TM or you might have a fire. I would jump though hoops if the power suddenly went out with that burner going. Regulating the heat is difficult, its heat or no heat, there is no thermostate. I also knew of a guy that had one in a barn and he loved it. Good luck if you get one!

blackrock

No thermostat, dang that sucks i was hoping they had them so i could just leave it on all the time in the barn to keep it a constant temp. Any good way to add one? also what do you think is a good price to pay for one? thanks for the help

blackrock

got confused i thought i was looking at like the one above. The H140 seems to be the better fit. dang just need to find them now haha

Last edited by a moderator:

massey

Just cut the mil plug off and buy a 20amp plug. There's three wires in the cord, green white and black, green to the ground terminal, black to the brass screw and white to the silver screw. I'm working on one right now and just got it to light, runs about 3-4 min. then starts smoking out the exhaust and the K-8 relay trips and the alarm sounds. I put it in "vent" for a few minutes and it's good for a few minutes again. I need to go through the trouble shooting now and figure it out.

Ed

massey

The fuel pressure was a little low so I bumped it up to 125psi, and went over the gaps for the electrodes and had a successful 20min. run. As for the thermostat, I believe this unit will cycle the heat on and off when the air temperature reaches the values you preset in the temperature controller.

Ed

Attachments

bmwsyc

The H82 does have a temperature controller that looks at return air temp and discharge temp to control the burner. There are two knobs that determine when the burner fires and how hot the discharge gets.

Last edited:
The fuel pressure was a little low so I bumped it up to 125psi, and went over the gaps for the electrodes and had a successful 20min. run. As for the thermostat, I believe this unit will cycle the heat on and off when the air temperature reaches the values you preset in the temperature controller.

Ed
Just read in the manual about not running the unit for more than 10 minutes with ambient air temps of 70 or more and wanted to make sure you were aware.

bmwsyc

Have you found the tech manual as a PDF? I got mine out today and it keeps tripping a 20 amp breaker after the fan starts to blow
they do like the power. I couldn't get mine to run off of my 016-b. I had to run it off of a dedicated (and a short run) 20 amp circuit, with no extension cords. The H83 had a design difference in the motor circuit that lowers starting current.

massey

Just read in the manual about not running the unit for more than 10 minutes with ambient air temps of 70 or more and wanted to make sure you were aware.
Thanks for pointing that out, I did see it. It was only in the 60's when I was running it. The web site where I found the manuals is liberatedmanuals.com.

Reading the tech manual, and thanks for the number, I see I need to assemble the exhaust. Not sure if that had anything to do with it tripping breakers once the fan was turned on but I will do that and give it another try.

We had it plugged directly into the wall and it tripped our 20 amp breaker several times after the fan began to blow. We even hooked it up to a gas generator and it tripped the generator as well.

Do you know what the tag saying the hour meter had been disabled to prevent damage is all about ?

massey

I'm not sure if you've sorted your unit out yet but I checked my start current with a clamp on ammeter. When first throwing the switch I found 59.1 amps on the black wire, 58.6 amps on the white wire, and then they both drop to 18.7 amps when running. This is on a 12ga romex supplied 20amp wall outlet.

I scanned over that hour meter thing but didn't give it much attention once I got this one running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks