• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flip a switch to use gas?

dmetalmiki

Actually, on some trucks that have dual tanks, a switch could be used to use fuel from a different tank, which could have “different” fuel in it. He isn’t wrong…
M62 wreckers have a fuel tank switch....only for transfer though..depends what's transferred...others have dual tanks..'and,'..so.

Reactions: HDN

INFChief

I'll have to remember that. I've always parked stuff with manual transmissions in gear, even my dad's WW2 and Korean-era gassers. But diesel doesn't need an on switch to work unless there's an electric fuel shut-off solenoid valve.
The fuel pumps are electric and shut off when the master power is turned off.

INFChief

Running your deuce on straight gasoline? That falls under the EMERGENCY ONLY category! At least you wont have to worry about MPG because it wont make it that far!
I never saw anyone run a “multi fuel” on straight MOGAS. Because the diesel would turn to gel in Germany we would add alcohol to keep it thinned out. Sometimes we might dump 5 to 10 gallons of MOGAS in the M60A1 (A2 & A3) tanks or other tracked vehicles.

Micmada

Running your deuce on straight gasoline? That falls under the EMERGENCY ONLY category! At least you wont have to worry about MPG because it wont make it that far!
Gasoline is a thinner that will eat up seals or harden them too. I do not even put any in winter as some mix it in. In the M923 I put Kerosene with dieselfuel lube like Howes. This being said, when the engine is warm and restarted during a warmer day, the truck will make a puff of white smoke with a distinct slap at start up - similar to when using ether. I never get that with diesel at warm start up. So,I do not like to do it unless I have to when it is -10 outside. The block heater and the heat exchanger coolant pump combo I installed have kept things pretty warm-on cold days, though. The pump itself warms the coolant alone.

Last edited:

williamh

Don’t let these guys fool ya. There’s a small switch under the truck just above the transfer case so you can use gas. It activates the catalytic converters in the turbo. Also there’s a lever to be able to generate the 1.21 gigawatts to power the flux capacitor. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gasoline is a thinner that will eat up seals or harden them too. I do not even put any in winter as some mix it in. In the M923 I put Kerosene with dieselfuel lube like Howes. This being said, when the engine is warm and restarted during a warmer day, the truck will make a puff of white smoke with a distinct slap at start up - similar to when using ether. I never get that with diesel at warm start up. So,I do not like to do it unless I have to when it is -10 outside. The block heater and the heat exchanger coolant pump combo I installed have kept things pretty warm-on cold days, though. The pump itself warms the coolant alone.
You get much -10 weather in Florida ?

INFChief

I remember cold war vets talking about 60/40 mix of DF2 and JP4 while cruising the Autobahn. Some crazy thing about flames coming out the stack.

I can run my Deuce on straight gasoline, but then again, it is a gasser lol
No flames. They’re exaggerating BIG time. We’ve run a variety of fuels along the DF & JP lines include JP8.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks