• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flipping headlights

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
So for the owners with the H4 lights I assume that the upper postion is just fine for you guys (& gals)? You see a big difference when they are that high off the ground? I have been using them for 15 years or so in my M1009 and my son's CJ-7 and I love them.
Still waiting for my bulbs to come in so I have done yet installed the H4 headlamps.
jimm1009
I have Hella E-codes mounted in the high position, and would highly reccomend it.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ing/19973-deuce-lighting-harness-upgrade.html

AN/ARC186

My truck came with the lights set low also, when I installed the air horns I bolted them up higher than shown in the TM so they would align with the electric horn hole.
I did this for two reasons, one , so it was not muffled and two, in the TM correct location it fires almost directly into the back of the low mounted pass side headlight causing it to vibrate filaments on that side to the breaking point.

jimm1009

One last question... Are those of you that have the H4 lights up high are you using the standard aiming procedures for H4 lights and then perhaps giving them an extra 1/2 turn down or...?

Thanks for all the responses.

jimm1009

Katahdin

Question, when moving the headlights from the lower position to the upper position, should you also move the rubber vibration damping bolts to the upper position? Please see the pic.

Attachments

SMOKEWAGON66

When I flipped mine from lower to upper, I just looked at how every thing was mounted, then moved them to the same position. Then flipped the headlight buckets etc...

Truckoholic

Here's my 66 M35A2 wo/w with headlights mounted low,
and my 67 M35A2 w/w with headlights mounted high. I can see how if the headlights were in the lower position on the winch truck, that the bumper sticking out there so far could get in the way of the effective illumination. The federal standard for headlight height says that headlights can not be mounted more than 54 inches when measured at the center of the headlight on an unladen vehicle on level ground. And I'm pretty sure the headlights are allready higher than that on my winch truck. When I put bigger tires on it, they are especially going to be too high. Not sure how that law differs when it is on an old military vehicle that was designed that way though. I know the California highway patrol sure is quick to jump all over headlight height on any other kind of lifted vehicle.

IMG_3302 (Small).JPG

lightshigh.jpg

quickfarms

The CHP will probably not hassle you If you keep the truck stock due to the federal exemption.

If you want to run standard size super singles on a M35A2, you probably should have the headlights in the low position.

You could probably get away with the standard size super singles on an 800 series, a 900 series is not an issue.

If you modify the truck with the big super singles or bob it, the CHP will probably go after the truck.

Last edited:

Katahdin

Got it done, along with the bumper flip onto the winch extensions. Looks like the next thing I need to do is flip these brackets on the grill.

I appreciate runk checking his bolt placement, I didn't have another truck to look at.

I did break about half of the rubber bolts when removing them. The all broke on the outside where the bolts were weathered, painted, and rusted over. I replaced them with part number 9376K48 from McMaster-Carr. These matched the 3/4" rubber thickness of my existing bolts except the studs are 5/16. The original studs are 3/8" and more than twice as expensive to replace.

Attachments

runk

I bought
9213K22 Neoprene Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Male, 5/16"-18 Thread, 3/4" H, 1"W
as a replacement, figuring I'm going to tear up a bunch of them disassembling the parts for paint. Same dimensions but neoprene instead of natural rubber. I figured the higher temperature rating was better for me down here in Texas...

All the 3/8 studs I could find also had bigger rubber sections, and I was concerned the load ratings were too high. I've used these mounts in machinery and robotics, and if they are too stiff, you might as well just bolt the parts directly together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks