• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida Round Up...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well gang, things could change at the last minute but for now, looks like I'll be headed up friday afternoon and returning saturday afternoon. Short visit I know but I'm trying!
Got some things to do before we leave but hope to have them done. Lane, Mike is bringing my trailer up and the shelter will be on it. If you want it you have to wait until Saturday to get it, The boy and I will use that as our tent. See y'all up there.

devilman96

Hey guys... Made it up here last night at about 3am... A nice and uneventful drive in the Deuce!

I will be setting up all day today and tommrrow but It looks like we are going to have quite a croud 30-40+ by the phone calls, e mails, and PM's im getting!!!

Again please keep in mind we are ROUGHING it up here... I am basiclly doubling my food count for Saturday's BBQ and bringing in 1000 lbs of ice but please make sure you bring what you need with you!!!!

I've received a few questions about directions... I HIGHLY suggest printing and using the maps I've listed and look for the signage off of HWY 33... FInd the glider port and from that point just follow and make your turns by the signs and you will be ok on getting here... (were in gods country, BFE, the middle of no where)!!! no cell phone towers, etc and 2 miles off of the paved road...

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and please have a safe and uneventful trip getting here!!!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
God bless the travel and commraderie of the fine folks gathering in the Sunshine state. May their Castle Doctrine become National Law soon. Keep everyone safe and vehicles running.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there anything else that might be needed? I said I would bring ice,fireworks and some beer and I still will. My cell# 352-262-0398 if anyone needs help or anything just call. James

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I'm all loaded up and ready to head out. Waiting to pick up the little one for school. Mike says no phone service out there but my cell is (954)803-1569 if anyone needs anything. I'll be under power for a few hours so I won't hear the phone. Have fun all!

citizensoldier

Hey guys.. I will be there Saturday morning. I would be there now but I am recovering from the flu. Arrived in Fl and it hit me hard.. High fever.. yada yada the works. But I will be leaving early with my ma doing the driving. Which reminds me. I cant find the map for getting back into the site?? Once you turn off of 33?? Can someone post it again?
Lane

citizensoldier

Yahooo.. Had a good time in FL..

Wish more of us Yankees could have been there. I missed the old M37. Dont think I could keep up with those Pinz and the Mog but would have had fun trying.. No fear with good old rcovery 4x4 in the shadows waiting to yank you out. Somehow like the good guy I am I ended up cable guy for Kenny but had a great time. Still recovering from the Flu but stayed in there.. HOT!!!!! For this fat northerner.. Anyway some more pictures for you who give a hoot!! Hey Dave P wish we had some five tons here.. would have been fun in the bogs!!

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Yahooo.. Had a good time in FL..

Well gang, I got nary a pic but had a great time in the woods. The Steel Soldiers turnout could have been better but one of our Pinz members, Chuck, invited some other Pinz owners and they made up for it. All together we had 5 Pinzgauers, 1 Mog, one M1031 contact maintenance truck and 2 deuces that being my little tractor and Mikes littler Diablo project. Mike put up quite a spread (=$$) for everyone. I got in just after dark on Friday and had a great night BSing around the fire. After stirring around on Saturday morning, Citizensoldier showed up with his Mom coming to have a look at all the insanity. After about an hour the first Pinz rolled out towards the trails with another and another to follow until we were all out on the trails. Went first to a watery mud pit. Proved to be not much of an overwhelming challenge for the cute but capable little Pinzs. Then we went through some trails through palmetto stump country. You really have to hang on to the wheel of a deuce in that stuff but since I'v had my share of thumb injuries, I did just fine. So we rode around these trails for a while and ended up circling a large field of cat tails. If you know anything about cat tails you know they only grow where it's wet. Since deuces aren't much in the mud, I hung closer to the back. From across the field I could see one Pinz go down and a few backing up. At that point Chuck come walking up. Seems he stuck his Pinz in another part of the property in a similar type of field. We took the tractor over there to see if we could free him up. He was stuck pretty good. I backed up to within about 20 feet and we hooked up the strap. After a half dozen jerks, I figured out that I was getting mired too and he wasn't moving. I unhooked the strap and was able to get the tractor out and turn it around. Backed it up into some heavy brush and ran out some cable from the winch. About 5 minutes later Chuck's Pinz was free. We motored back to the original field to see if the other guys were able to free themselves.. On the way back I could see the back axle of the tractor doing funny things so I figured something was wrong. Once we got back I took a look and found that one of the lower dogone bushings took a dump and the dogbone came off. That was just the beginning of this exercise. In my absence a couple of more trucks got stuck. 2 Pinzs were stuck as well as the Mog with implement tires. The Mog had also killed a battery trying to winch it's way across the cat tails. Did I mention that this field is also full of stumps? We were able to limp the tractor into position and hook onto the heavy Mog. By this time the Mog was running again. With much needed assistance from Lane (Citizensoldier) we were able to pay out about 150' of cable and hook onto the Mog. With the PTO in low gear we were able to free the Mog in a few minutes. Next we payed out a few more feet of cable and free'd up one of the Pinzs. The 3rd Pinz proved to be more difficult. It took all 200' of cable but we got ahold of him. The tractor was bringing him in without effort but we were unable to avoid some stumps. At one point was had to move the tractor and enlist a chainsaw to get a felled tree from under the Pinz before we did some serious damage. While the gang was dealing with the stump, several people joined in and helped reposition the dogbone on my truck. We got it lined up but couldn't pound it back over the fractured rubber. One of the guys had a rusty Hi-Lift jack with him. Hit it with some WD and it worked great.. We were able to press the dogbone back on with the Hi-Lift. (Now I haven't owned a Hi-Lift in years but I'll have another one tomorrow.) Some creative work with a small ratchet strap and paracord and the bone was held back in place (lasted all 200 miles home). No sooner was that done it was time to start winching again. We winched the stump that was cut,out from under the Pinz and went back to winching on the Pinz. About a 5 minute ordeal and the last Pinz was free. Did I mention I love PTO winches? They never get tired. At this point Mike had already went back to base camp and started cooking. We all headed in and had a feast of burgers, dogs, chicken and all kinds of trimmings and snacks. It was a great time to sit around, feast and laugh about the morning. Spent the rest of the afternoon just sitting about BSing. As I was loading up to come home, One of the 2 Waynes there put together a group pic idea and we moved all the trucks down to an opening and lined them up. After several pics a video was taken of all of the trucks passing by on the way down to the sand berms. I finished loading up and paid my goodbyes and hit the road around 1730. Made one stop for a sandwich for Jonathan and we headed south. Got home around 2230 with the dogbone still strapped in place. We had a great time and I'm certainly looking forward to it again next year. You folks up north, this is a great time to break the winter blaas and have some fun. Hats off to Mike for putting such a great event together and footing the bill to boot. He wouldn't take a dime towards the event but I'll figure a way to get even. Tons of pics were taken, we'll just have to wait to see them. Can't wait for next year!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Yahooo.. Had a good time in FL..

Great story Kenny! Perhaps next year or may later this year, if Mike is willing to do it again sooner, I'll be bringing the old cranetruck.
My daughter is planning a longer visit to Denmark after HS graduation and that will take a bite out of the budget, for sure....

devilman96

Glad Kenny did most of the typing on this one... my butt is to tired and sore for it this eve...

First... thank you to everyone that came out... What a awesome weekend and what a GREAT bunch of guys... I fully expected to spend my whole even cleaning up and not a single thing was left by anyone... Both the old man and I were quite tickled to have everyone there!!!

Second note of business... I WILL have to rename our event to the FLORIDA TREFFEN!!! ... WHERE WAS THE US IRON?!?!?! *sigh* SS.. ya made me look BAD to a bunch PINZ GUYS!!! lol... Well... at least Kenny made a believer out of the Pinz and Mog group... I don't think they will be bagging Deuces anymore as they are in LOVE with that winch!!

Anyway... Pics pics and more pics... If anyone else has them please post em up as I am missing a lot!!!

and by the by... Next year ya gotta mind them sick cows and even sicker dogs... LOL

Attachments

devilman96

More pics!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks