• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to dig into the valve for the left outrigger, again.

Once the fluid is warm that one will go down, but not back up again until everything has cooled off. The first time I found some debris in the bottom "cup" and thought that was the problem. Last time things looked clean, and I suspect that the sintered filter is plugged up.

Can't blow through it with mouth power, and normal cleaners don't seem to be effective.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a problem with my right outrigger. Like yours, it would go down and not stop until fully extended and I couldn't get it to go back down without beating on the lever with a hammer or rock. In my case, the piston was severely corroded. Fortunately, I found an NOS valve assembly for the outrigger on Ebay. It was very inexpensive and free shipping. It was a real bear to replace because of all of the hydraulic lines blocking access, plus the backhoe had to be removed first. Once access to the valve assembly is gained, replacement is a breeze. My outrigger works perfectly now, but my FLU419 is currently still out of commission due to mouse damage to the wiring. Rain day after day hasn't helped my progress and I really need to use the backhoe.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your issue sounds a bit different than mine. For one, I haven't seen any sign of corrosion yet. Well, I can only see so much of the spool with the linkage still attached. Can't remember how far I pulled it out when the linkage was disconnected.

Also, in my case the lever moves freely until having worked the backhoe for a while. Then it only moves freely to the "out" position and back. The first time I did remove the cover for the levers so I could get to the top of the valve easily, and direct hits with with a brass punch wouldn't budge it. Using the lever would only bend the rod since it's under compression when trying to retract the outrigger.

Anyway, getting to that cap with the filter at the bottom of the valve isn't bad. Only one hard line needs to be moved out of the way to get a socket on it.

Oh, and please send some rain. We could really use it.

peakbagger

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have considered listing the HME there, if for no other reason because some of the Burning Man crowd might see it.

After all, it's one of the few stock vehicles that would look right in place there.

peakbagger

I have considered listing the HME there, if for no other reason because some of the Burning Man crowd might see it.

After all, it's one of the few stock vehicles that would look right in place there.
I agree, given its rarity and military background I expect with the right write up someone would snap it up and then figure out what they would do with it afterwards.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point. I couldn't resist buying it once I found out about them, basically to complete the collection.

There might be another one in Kansas or Missouri, but I haven't been able to verify that.

The hydrostatic drive intrigues me and I wish I could hang on to the dozer blade. Used that on a SEE for a couple of years and it was very useful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks