• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

General Hood

An FYI on the throttle linkage, there was a good number of SEEs out of Texarkana that had the linkage froze up when they were pulled out of the weeds to be put up for auction. The throttles were manually forced in attempt to free them up, resulting with units with bent and distorted linkage. Unfortunately, one of my SEEs was subject to that abuse. I used spray lubricant and let it absorb about 15 minutes and the linkage freed up. Bending all the components back to their original shape was a little more aggravating and time consuming. I would have donated a case of WD40 to the GP Texarkana folks if it would have prevented the undesirable outcome :(

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to warn you anthkey...don't get him started on that subject....
Yeah, really. While I understand that they have released new kinds that may actually work, I haven't tried those yet.
Until then, WD-40 is probably best used in places like...um, Texarkana. I don't think it makes corrosion worse.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two ways I can think of, and have used; either cut the hose a ways from the barb and leave room for splicing it with a rubber hose.
Or cut the hose off the barb (carefully) and then reapply it. That's if there's enough slack in it to lose an inch or two, and if you can beg, steal, or borrow a hair dryer.

General Hood

I had to close up for the day. Will hopefully get to the strainer (not sieve, wrong word) tomorrow. I am wondering whether I will be able to get the fuel lines on/off those barbs, since I don't have the one-sided fitting, like most. The valve is stuck open.
Good luck, and let us know what you find. My fuel system was so clogged I had to do some heavy duty cleaning from fuel tank up past the double filters. It looked like the gov tried running my SEE off some radioactive waste in the past

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, oh. I never thought to check the strange contents of my tank for radioactivity. And that stuff has been sitting in a not well sealed bucket ever since I drained the tank.
I better go out after dark and see if it glows.

Well I was out there in the dark, and nothing glows, so I guess that's a positive. The strainer was clean, and a steady dribble of fuel flowed out as long as the cup was off.

I am pretty sure it was fuel from the tank as it was flowing too quickly to be the downstream parts draining out.

I think blowing the lines out with compressed air will come next.

peakbagger

After that, I think I may try a small tank gravity feeding the filters directly.
If you go back in this thread long enough you will come up with my diagnostic method which is outboard motor tank with a squeeze bulb on the fuel line. I sat mine on the passenger seat and used that to diagnose the system. Do keep in mind that fuel will still be returned to the main tank but you can run for hours off the boat tank. I could run the truck off of gravity and the squeeze bulb but I don't think I ever bypassed the fuel pump.

The standard recommendation from Mercedes pros of the era is cut the plastic hose immediately downstream of the end of the barb so you leave a short length of plastic hose covering the barb threads. This adds up to standard hose size (I think its 3/8". That and they recommend using full wrap hose clamps. I did this between the discharge of the strainer and the inlet to the fuel pump and replaced the plastic in it entirety. I think I had several leaks but in the end I am pretty sure it was the hose that runs from the sending unit on top of the tank to the tubing connected to the inlet of the strainer. On many SEEs the fuel tank is mounted so tight to the frame that getting at these short lengths of hose means loosening the tank strap bolts. The threads on these straps are inevitably painted over and I would suggest hitting it with paint remover first then hitting the nuts with the penetrant of you choice.

Last edited:

wallybob

I just went through this with my new to me SEE my tank didn't have a cap and got contamintaed with water. I took the tank off and had local radiator shop flush it out. I replaced all the plastic fuel lines with new rubber lines. You can remove the line right at the barb and the rubber lines fit perfect

The Feed line are 5/16 fuel line

https://www.mcmaster.com/#54605k33/=17eg2wp

Return line is 1/4 inch

https://www.mcmaster.com/#54605k32/=17eg4s3

You will also need a Tee in the return line for the injector over flow

https://www.mcmaster.com/#44555k173/=17eg5q1

For the smaller line at the cylinder head you need a very small 3mm line. I found that return hose from a VW tdi fit great.

http://www.fixmyvw.com/diesel-rated-fuel-hose-3mm-for-all-vw-audi-tdi/

I have picked this up at my local dealer also.

I replaced the primer pump and filters from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CO92F2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9TAY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Until I got my tank back I just put the feed and return into a 5gal diesel can. The primer pump had no problem sucking the fuel out of the can but it does take a bit to get all the air out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks