• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

alpine44

Which reminds me. Remind me to look up the thread on the often leaky and obnoxious drain valves on the air tanks. Then consider bringing a plug.
Or chewing gum.
One of the few things I am now certain about this FLU is that the drains are not going to leak - at least not initially. The seller sent me video showing clearly that the machine is not building up any air pressure.

I parallel, Wes offered to pick up and deliver the FLU on his way back from a delivery to Atlanta. I may just go the easy, boring route of writing a check and then cursing at the dead air system and other deficiencies in my shop.

At least the road trip idea encouraged me to RTFM (all of them) before trying to fix things. What I found missing in the manuals is an overview of the various systems describing their intent and how the various components contribute to this. Does anyone have access to info from MB covering the bigger picture rather than just describing how to remove, repair, and replace components while reminding us about 20 times that diesel fuel is in fact flammable?

Last edited:
One of the few things I am now certain about this FLU is that the drains are not going to leak - at least not initially. The seller sent me video showing clearly that the machine is not building up any air pressure.
Those air tank drain valves may very well be the reason it isn't building pressure--at least they were on my SEE. They are easy to disassemble for inspection. If they are just full of crud, a good cleaning may make them serviceable.

I found a damaged sealing surface on mine, so I reassembled it with Barge cement to stop the leak while I ordered a new one.

They will always leak down though. FLU Farm replaced his with ball valves. I didn't have the time to look for adapters, so mine remain stock.

alpine44

Those air tank drain valves may very well be the reason it isn't building pressure--at least they were on my SEE. They are easy to disassemble for inspection. If they are just full of crud, a good cleaning may make them serviceable.

I found a damaged sealing surface on mine, so I reassembled it with Barge cement to stop the leak while I ordered a new one.

They will always leak down though. FLU Farm replaced his with ball valves. I didn't have the time to look for adapters, so mine remain stock.
Good point. The video was a walk around with the engine running and I did not notice any hissing near the tanks. But with the small compressor leaks may not be very audible.

I am going to order new drain valves regardless of whether the FLU419 will be trucked or gets home on its own wheels.

impulse787

Why not spend 10.00 and get two new air tank drain valves that way super simple to change out and eliminate that issue. On mine one was leaking the other was fine but for 15min I replaced both. Works great.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point. The video was a walk around with the engine running and I did not notice any hissing near the tanks. But with the small compressor leaks may not be very audible.
Exactly. If all three drain valves leak a bit, and maybe you have one or two more small leaks somewhere, that's all it takes not to hear them over a typical running SEE engine, and not build pressure.
Not that it sounds as if the seller is overly talented in mechanics, but maybe you could talk him into feeding air to the system through a gladhand, then listen for leaks?
If indeed it only is the drains, it's an easy fix.

I can't believe that I'm actually, if indirectly, potentially helping you make that trip. You'd be too far away, anywhere along the route, to justify shipping the remains to me (for parts), so there's nothing in it for me.

alpine44

Exactly. If all three drain valves leak a bit, and maybe you have one or two more small leaks somewhere, that's all it takes not to hear them over a typical running SEE engine, and not build pressure.
Not that it sounds as if the seller is overly talented in mechanics, but maybe you could talk him into feeding air to the system through a gladhand, then listen for leaks?
If indeed it only is the drains, it's an easy fix.

I can't believe that I'm actually, if indirectly, potentially helping you make that trip. You'd be too far away, anywhere along the route, to justify shipping the remains to me (for parts), so there's nothing in it for me.
The seller was way over his head with this machine and is of no help. Considering that the engine is running, the vehicle drives and stops (albeit without HI LO shift and brake boost) and they extended the hoe with the hydraulics I am still hoping to turn this into a usable tool quicker and cheaper than the wrecks that were sold through Govplanet recently in the same price range.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seller was way over his head with this machine and is of no help. Considering that the engine is running, the vehicle drives and stops (albeit without HI LO shift and brake boost) and they extended the hoe with the hydraulics I am still hoping to turn this into a usable tool quicker and cheaper than the wrecks that were sold through Govplanet recently in the same price range.
Don't get me wrong here, alpine. I encourage you to get that SEE home and get it working right (misery loves company). It's the drive I take exception to.
I posted about the adapters and ball valves I use a while back, but maybe not with part numbers. PM me if you want, and maybe we can get at least that part sorted out.

Another Ahab

You mean not even the spiritual bliss of a simple good deed done for another, not EVEN?!

0314171224c.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean not even the spiritual bliss of a simple good deed done for another, not EVEN?!
Okay, okay. My plan was to talk alpine44 out of the whole thing, buy that SEE for cheap, drive west until it craps out, then sell it to General Hood for a profit and let him worry about having it shipped the rest of the way.

alpine44

Okay, okay. My plan was to talk alpine44 out of the whole thing, buy that SEE for cheap, drive west until it craps out, then sell it to General Hood for a profit and let him worry about having it shipped the rest of the way.
My plan was to ride this thing hard and sell the remaining functional pieces to FLU farm if it breaks down beyond repair. If it makes it home, its worth keeping. Who wants to find out that a tool is an unreliable maintenance nightmare while trying to accomplish honey-do tasks. I rather find this out on an optional vacation adventure.

General Hood

My plan was to ride this thing hard and sell the remaining functional pieces to FLU farm if it breaks down beyond repair. If it makes it home, its worth keeping. Who wants to find out that a tool is an unreliable maintenance nightmare while trying to accomplish honey-do tasks. I rather find this out on an optional vacation adventure.
PS549_p25s.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of 60 minutes, today the care package from Bel-Metric arrived (that was quick!), and I couldn't resist installing the transparent hose to find out if there would be any bubbles in the fuel. By the way, I had misunderstood Matt. The hose goes between the filters and injector pump, so any air leak would show up.

DSCN0385[1].jpg There's also a test port on the test hose, for attaching a pressure gauge to find out if things bleed down. And another thing, Matt feels that this is only a test hose. He's not sure the material will hold up to heat and/or diesel over time.DSCN0386[1].jpg

No bubbles to be seen. Test drove for a longer distance, and the (formerly) parts SEE ran fine. Of course, the aluminum(?) washers at the banjo fittings were replaced with copper ones in the process.
Removed the test hose and reinstalled the stocker with new washers, took another test drive and...
Well, I drove farther yet and on the way back home it was pretty gutless in 4th gear. Okay, completely gutless. But it never sputtered or stopped.
So it seems that it's a matter of getting enough fuel out of the tank, which means dropping the tank. Darn it.

General Hood

Speaking of 60 minutes, today the care package from Bel-Metric arrived (that was quick!), and I couldn't resist installing the transparent hose to find out if there would be any bubbles in the fuel. By the way, I had misunderstood Matt. The hose goes between the filters and injector pump, so any air leak would show up.

View attachment 680132 There's also a test port on the test hose, for attaching a pressure gauge to find out if things bleed down. And another thing, Matt feels that this is only a test hose. He's not sure the material will hold up to heat and/or diesel over time.View attachment 680133

No bubbles to be seen. Test drove for a longer distance, and the (formerly) parts SEE ran fine. Of course, the aluminum(?) washers at the banjo fittings were replaced with copper ones in the process.
Removed the test hose and reinstalled the stocker with new washers, took another test drive and...
Well, I drove farther yet and on the way back home it was pretty gutless in 4th gear. Okay, completely gutless. But it never sputtered or stopped.
So it seems that it's a matter of getting enough fuel out of the tank, which means dropping the tank. Darn it.
Is that shiny black metal your newly acquired SEE Maint. Truck with a fresh coat of wax?
I'm glad you got that SEE up and running

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that shiny black metal your newly acquired SEE Maint. Truck with a fresh coat of wax?
I'm glad you got that SEE up and running
Not quite. It's a truck bed I'm busily cutting more and more off of, and changing in other ways. Really should've started from scratch instead of modifying a factory made bed.
And I wouldn't call the (formerly) a runner quite yet. Would be nice if that turns out to be the case, and one thing is for sure; It will be a perfect runner before you get here.
If I live that long.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks