• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

peakbagger

Might I suggest starting a new thread so this does not get lost.

IMHO, the government didnt order anything close to this but the platform is pretty versatile. There could be issues with harmonics with the vehicle suspension. My guess is you could hit the front coil spring frequency and it would be jumping like a low rider;). The much rarer HMMH had a front suspension lockout that should help with that issue. That said the specs for the front hydrauilc pump is in the manual. No sure if Bobcat offers such a device but some folks have adapted the front end to use a Bobcat mounting plate so that Bobcat accessories will work on the SEE . My guess is the better option may be ramhoe adapted to the backhoe, Stanley Hydraulics makes a small one.

The other thing to consider is there was an optional ripper backhoe bucket made by Hein Werner for ripping rocks, ice and permafrost. There is US military study on the effectiveness of this option in the Misc Tech Manuals forum. The short summary is the Hein Werner bucket works better but the relative lack of weight on the hoe limits its capacity. Mine came with one of those buckets and it works pretty well for rock. Not very good for neat holes with the ripper claws on the back of the bucket but I have scraped a few trenches with it.

Another Ahab

can I put a breaker hammer on this unit in place of the bucket, and if so, how would I determine which type would fit? Would it be effective? All my searches returned results about the live hydraulic jackhammer that stores in the compartment, but I'm referring to one that goes on the tip of the excavator like what you'd use for digging out a basement in solid rock or something.
So great, a First Post:

- Congratulations, and welcome MajorMogger!

I can't help you with your question, but likely somebody here can.

In my ancient history as a general contractor, I recall that piece of equiment being referred to as a "hoe-ram", but not sure that term is still in use.

MajorMogger

Yes actually a ramhoe is what I was referring to I just didn't know what to call it. I don't think a ripper will work because the rock here in the Texas Hill Country (in my place specifically) is totally solid bedrock, it's not really diggable until you crack it to pieces. It took the guy who dug my septic nearly a week to dig the hole with his tractor and ramhoe. Ok I will look into the bobcat attachment option. So a case ramhoe wouldn't just fit right on w/o any mods would it?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My FLU419 came with the ripper backhoe bucket as well. I also have the ripper teeth on the loader bucket. This isn't a problem because I also have two John Deere tractors with smooth lipped loader buckets. I live on 40 acres in a very mountainous and rocky area. At first I didn't like the ripper bucket on the backhoe. However, I hired someone else to do some work for me with a backhoe and their standard bucket took 2 - 3 times as long to dig in the same area as the ripper backhoe bucket on my FLU. That ripper bucket really goes through the rock and tree roots and stumps. The downside is that a hole or trench is difficult to dig with smooth sides and bottom. If someone is on solid bedrock, a backhoe with or without a ripper bucket is out of luck. I've used the jackhammer that came with my FLU for some solid rock and it works, but drilling holes followed by dynamite is a better option! That jackhammer is made for someone bigger than me.

peakbagger

I was thinking of making a mount for the SEE jackhammer and hanging it from the backhoe bucket.

Good to know there are at least two SEEs out there with the optional ripper bucket. Its solid piece of iron.

Speedwoble

There was someone on here that got the mount to place an auger on the backhoe in place of the bucket. They bought the adapter for a CASE 580, then rented a skid steer auger. Unbolted from the skid steer mount, bolted to the adapter for use, then returned when done. Potentially the same could be done with a ramhoe.
Many FLU’s have hydraulic quick connections on the bucket cylinder so it can be disconnected and the Auger attached and powered by that circuit. That same circuit could run the ramhoe.
If I had a lot of rock to break, I might use the backhoe as a crane with a lot of bungee rope to take a little of the weight off the handheld jackhammer. And convert an appliance dolly to move it. It makes quick work of concrete, but is a bear to drag around.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for those who have either tilted the cab, or pulled the plate between the seats.
Curious where the cable from the master switch ends up. As in where it's grounded to whatever it leads to.

My reason for wanting to know is that I'd like to hook up the negative for a winch I installed at that point. Can't run it through the switch (nowhere near enough amp rating).

It'll be interesting either way as I suspect that the winch will provide ground for the whole system, regardless of what position the switch is in, if I connect the ground cable to the battery.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hi, new to the forum and soon to be new to my FLU419 I am purchasing. The FLU419 is supposed to be shipped here in late October. I searched the forum the best I could and couldn't find an answer to my question though - can I put a breaker hammer on this unit in place of the bucket, and if so, how would I determine which type would fit? Would it be effective? All my searches returned results about the live hydraulic jackhammer that stores in the compartment, but I'm referring to one that goes on the tip of the excavator like what you'd use for digging out a basement in solid rock or something.
. Good question but not sure who would have a good answer. They were equipped with a plethora of hydraulic powered, hand held equipment. My concern about a dipper mounted hammer would be metal fatigue/vibration damage .

MajorMogger

My FLU 419 has arrived. I did end up with the chainsaw, breaker hammer and rock drill with most bits/accessories. Toolbox that was supposed to be behind the backhoe seat seems missing. What do I need to jack this baby up and change a tire out on the road?

I need to go over the services because my neighbors house just burned down, I think I will use it to help clear the debris.

So far biggest issue is the bucket is VERY rusted (wisconsin salt I guess) and a big leak on a back hoe in a few places. (One is a hose, other not sure, hose or cylinder seal). But I can turn off the PTO for now.

Question, how do I know what kind of power steering fluid to put in this thing? I have ordred a pdf online printing service for all the manuals but I have no way of knowing what is most up to date? The unit was refurbished in 2006 if that helps narrow what kind of fluids they may have put in it.

Also curious what fluid is in the hydraulics w/ a 2006 refurbishment. It was purchased at auction in 2014 by previous owner and basically left to sit in a shed w/ very low usage so I'm assuming it is same fluids. 370 hours on motor hour meter.

I intend to plug the live hydraulics into my earth block machine so I'm keen not to screw this up by mixing wrong fluids or something.

Attachments

peakbagger

Tool box behind the backhoe seat may not exist especially with a recapped unit. Not sure why they stopped putting them on. Mine has one but the piano hinge is rusted close to solid.

There is a special long travel hydraulic jack designed for jacking the SEE. They are rare. Here is listing from a reliable vendor in England. https://www.ebay.com/itm/391866620033?hash=item5b3d121881:g:rloAAOxy0x1TRRHZ. I picked up a dual cylinder hydraulic jack that works well with a couple of wooden blocks. You need a 3/4" drive breaker bar and 3/4" torque wrench to torque.

One of the manuals has the lube oil instructions.

Do yourself a big favor, so through the complete maintenance routine in the manuals before using. Every grease fitting it there but some are real tough to find which means they may not have been greased before. Read and understand how to check the Portal Axle lube and then change it out with synthetic. Its a very expensive fix if you wipe out the portal gears.

Not covered in the manuals is how to drain the axle locker piston drains. I have posted how to do it. If they pistons get stuck its $30 for the parts but to install the the axles need to be disassembled.

Exposed metal rusts and backhoe bucket will get exposed if it used. Most let it rust but feel free to clean it up and paint it.

BTW go to the misc tech manuals section and get a copy of the student handout, its got stuff not in the other manuals. There is also a collection of technical service bulletins for the SEE. There is also a high resolution wiring diagram. BTW I find that I use the PDFs of the manuals rather than a hard copy, they are huge but using the search function on the PDF can narrow things down.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My FLU 419 has arrived. I did end up with the chainsaw, breaker hammer and rock drill with most bits/accessories. Toolbox that was supposed to be behind the backhoe seat seems missing. What do I need to jack this baby up and change a tire out on the road?

I need to go over the services because my neighbors house just burned down, I think I will use it to help clear the debris.

So far biggest issue is the bucket is VERY rusted (wisconsin salt I guess) and a big leak on a back hoe in a few places. (One is a hose, other not sure, hose or cylinder seal). But I can turn off the PTO for now.

Question, how do I know what kind of power steering fluid to put in this thing? I have ordred a pdf online printing service for all the manuals but I have no way of knowing what is most up to date? The unit was refurbished in 2006 if that helps narrow what kind of fluids they may have put in it.

Also curious what fluid is in the hydraulics w/ a 2006 refurbishment. It was purchased at auction in 2014 by previous owner and basically left to sit in a shed w/ very low usage so I'm assuming it is same fluids. 370 hours on motor hour meter.

I intend to plug the live hydraulics into my earth block machine so I'm keen not to screw this up by mixing wrong fluids or something.
Hydraulic Oil is pretty generic. ISO 46, 10wt is pretty much what you need. Tractor Supply is a good source in 5 gallon pails. Happens that I have a Shell Oil distributor about a mile from my place and I get 55 gallon drums of "Tellus" and it is as good as any. Lots of anti-wear agents in it... Hydraulic oil is nothing more than a straight weight 10 with additives to keep from wearing out the pump etc.

MajorMogger

Thanks for this advice. Yes I am planning to do the services before using it although I couldn't help the temptation to drive it once around the dirt road loop when I had to drive it off the semi trailer. I read later you don't take sharp turns w/ drive lock on and that I should have realized the previous owner left the rear pto on and that driving w/ that on can damage the pump. Lots to learn, I hope I didn't already destroy it. Rear PTO hoses are leaking anyway so maybe that helped the pump not destroy itself somehow? Fingers crossed.

All the fluids look ok except the power steering and I do need to check the portal axles which I will do this weekend.

So is that for real that I can use the buckets to jack it up to change the tires? Just making sure that wasn't a joke because I will plan on that if that is how you are supposed to do it.

Also what trailer should I get for this baby? I have a plan I would like to implement to harvest really big logs with it and put them on a trailer and bring them home. Is there some kind of standard big butt milsurp unit I should be looking for that will ride well out of the box?

Where do I plug in my MARCBOT IV IED robot of similar vintage? It is 24 volt and and I want to figure out where the port is to charge it. The battery charger I have is supposed to plug into these 24v vehicles somewhere I think.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So is that for real that I can use the buckets to jack it up to change the tires? Just making sure that wasn't a joke because I will plan on that if that is how you are supposed to do it.
Well, I didn't say that it's how you're supposed to do it, but using the loader and/or outriggers is definitely the fast and easy way to do it.
One of mine came with the jack, but I have no intention of using it for a SEE. Instead, find a 3/4-inch impact (supposed to come with the HMMH), as those are very useful, including for getting the lug nuts off.

Oh, and completely unrelated, today I finally got the winch completely wired up. It has its own much higher rated disconnect and it'll be interesting to see how well the two ground systems play together.DSCN4130[1].JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for this advice. Yes I am planning to do the services before using it although I couldn't help the temptation to drive it once around the dirt road loop when I had to drive it off the semi trailer. I read later you don't take sharp turns w/ drive lock on and that I should have realized the previous owner left the rear pto on and that driving w/ that on can damage the pump. Lots to learn, I hope I didn't already destroy it. Rear PTO hoses are leaking anyway so maybe that helped the pump not destroy itself somehow? Fingers crossed.

All the fluids look ok except the power steering and I do need to check the portal axles which I will do this weekend.

Also what trailer should I get for this baby? I have a plan I would like to implement to harvest really big logs with it and put them on a trailer and bring them home. Is there some kind of standard big butt milsurp unit I should be looking for that will ride well out of the box?

Where do I plug in my MARCBOT IV IED robot of similar vintage? It is 24 volt and and I want to figure out where the port is to charge it. The battery charger I have is supposed to plug into these 24v vehicles somewhere I think.
Absolutely and For Sure!

Something (M1088 Wrecker, M936 Wrecker, KR555 Backhoe, Anything with outriggers or a bucket will lift your vehicle to change a tire. I am always a little chicken though... Why not throw a block or two or three under the axle - so if a hydraulic hose breaks - you stay safe... There is nothing like a little cribbing under your vehicle on a really bad day.

A bad tire that needs replacement is problem #1. Don't get your self into problem #2 or #3 where the truck falls down and goes boom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks