• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still don't have my FLU419 able to drive due to a problem with the intermediate speed control. Has anyone pulled the power lead from the air shift solenoid valve? I want to confirm I'm getting 24 VDC on the wire, but I can't get the wire loose. I'm not sure whether the connector simply pulls off or is secured by a screw or nut. The insulation where the wire joins the solenoid is rock hard and I'm afraid of damage.

Knobby57

I still don't have my FLU419 able to drive due to a problem with the intermediate speed control. Has anyone pulled the power lead from the air shift solenoid valve? I want to confirm I'm getting 24 VDC on the wire, but I can't get the wire loose. I'm not sure whether the connector simply pulls off or is secured by a screw or nut. The insulation where the wire joins the solenoid is rock hard and I'm afraid of damage.
It’s air power .you probably have an air leak after the priority valve behind the trans on the frame t cross tube or the valve is stuck . This will also cause the 4 wheel drive switch not to do anything also . The electric is only for indicator lights .

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s air power .you probably have an air leak after the priority valve behind the trans on the frame t cross tube or the valve is stuck . This will also cause the 4 wheel drive switch not to do anything also . The electric is only for indicator lights .
Is the valve in the photo the one you are talking about? I tapped on it, but no joy. I sprayed soapy water all over the air lines that I could get to and didn't see any leaks. Also, with the engine running and the air at full pressure and the clutch depressed all the way to the floor, when I move the collar on the shifter up and down, I can hear a 2-second hiss of air, which to me means the collar is sending signals to the air shift valve/solenoid valve. I need to go through the troubleshooting procedures in the TM, but getting to those pneumatic connections will be a bear.

Valve.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That valve has a little rubber disc and a couple of O-Rings inside. It could be that "the creeping crud" got inside it and cleaning it will make it better. BE CAREFUL when you take it apart because there is a little spring that holds the disc in place and you don't want to lose it. It is called the Wet Tank Protection Valve.

@Ronmar has a video that could help your problem.

Knobby57

Is the valve in the photo the one you are talking about? I tapped on it, but no joy. I sprayed soapy water all over the air lines that I could get to and didn't see any leaks. Also, with the engine running and the air at full pressure and the clutch depressed all the way to the floor, when I move the collar on the shifter up and down, I can hear a 2-second hiss of air, which to me means the collar is sending signals to the air shift valve/solenoid valve. I need to go through the troubleshooting procedures in the TM, but getting to those pneumatic connections will be a bear.

View attachment 892450
That is the valve . You need a decent amount of air to flow to make it work . If your axles are dumping too much are the controls for the split shift and 4/4 won’t operate . Try it in 2 wheel drive and see if that helps . If not pull the small line off the passenger side of the valve when your tanks are full . Should get a steady stream of air . If you don’t you can crack the adjustment nut and move the screw back and forth and see if it starts working . Be sure and set it back to where it started . Valve is probably stuck and filled with poo.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the valve . You need a decent amount of air to flow to make it work . If your axles are dumping too much are the controls for the split shift and 4/4 won’t operate . Try it in 2 wheel drive and see if that helps . If not pull the small line off the passenger side of the valve when your tanks are full . Should get a steady stream of air . If you don’t you can crack the adjustment nut and move the screw back and forth and see if it starts working . Be sure and set it back to where it started . Valve is probably stuck and filled with poo.
I took the line loose and air comes out under pressure. I had a difficult time getting the line off once I loosened the nut. I hooked the line back up. Unfortunately, I hit my elbow on the hot muffler!

Knobby57

I took the line loose and air comes out under pressure. I had a difficult time getting the line off once I loosened the nut. I hooked the line back up. Unfortunately, I hit my elbow on the hot muffler!
The actuator for the splitter is in the top of the case that sites between the bell
Housing and the trans . Ill get a photo in a few

govsurplus

If you own a SEE, HMMH or HME Tractor please let us know.
419.101 SEE 2086 ea., 419.102 HME 13 ea., 419.103 HMMH 164 ea., 419.104 HME 153 ea.
Post name, Town, State, country, email, phone,first 9 digit of frame no. or what you think/like to build a network of
FLU419 owners.
I want to join, My wife bought this for my Birthday present on 3/9/50 Anthony Dibnah Fallon NV USA acdibnah@gmail.com 775 666 0033 1fg999993hm450633

Knobby57

2 air lines go to the actuator and it just moves a fork . You can access this by pulling the plate around the shifter . The unit can lift off without tilting the cab

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 air lines go to the actuator and it just moves a fork . You can access this by pulling the plate around the shifter . The unit can lift off without tilting the cab
I finally got around to pulling the plate from around the shifter. It was actually much easier than I imagined. However, other projects have gotten in the way of troubleshooting further, but I hope to get back to it this weekend. I do plan on using some soapy water to further check for air leaks in the tubing tomorrow now that I can access everything easily, anything else will have to wait. I feel sorry for anyone that read and believed the TM and ended up tilting the cab when it isn't that difficult to pull that plate.

Knobby57

Thanks for the info. I have a new one from Expedition Imports. Now where is the darn thing on the FLU 419 I have traced the line to no avail.
Can you help point me in the right place on the Unimog?
Thank you very much for your help!
Henry
It’s under the drivers side on the trans . Be careful not to drop the nut plates on the back of the bolts . I forget what the clearance was supposed to be . It’s in the manual . To litle and you burn your clutch and too much it won’t release . It is almost impossible to bleed without a pressure setup .

Knobby57

After spraying all of the pneumatic lines with soapy water, no leaks were noted. Time for more extensive troubleshooting, but later.
View attachment 894185
Just to the right of the trailer brake air aviator is the actuator for the splitter . Air line on the left side and one on the top at the lower side of pic . The sensor in the top is for the display to let you know where it’s at . The sensor screw out . From where you are at you can pretty easily unbolt the entire top plate and lift the actuator and shift for asy out the top to inspect .

sedancowboy

It’s under the drivers side on the trans . Be careful not to drop the nut plates on the back of the bolts . I forget what the clearance was supposed to be . It’s in the manual . To litle and you burn your clutch and too much it won’t release . It is almost impossible to bleed without a pressure setup .
Thank you Sir. I changed the master cylinder and it works. After I drive it I will see if I have to change the slave cylinder. I was thinking of taking the left front tire and fender off to gain access to the Slave cylinder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks