• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know or has anyone tried these??? I may have found a supplier if these will work.

View attachment 722835View attachment 722836View attachment 722837View attachment 722838

I would want to verify verify a bunch of things first. Width of the wheel flanges (come in 2 different widths, the wide which matches our axle width has low speed gears, the narrow has highspeed gears). spring perch center to center (these have a different width) you will need mrap rims. Will the center section offset cause interference. The center chunks are different, ours are round these are ovalish. Will require custom steering components as arm setup is different. These axles have air lockers, true planetary at the hub(high wear). Housings are cast steel. If you have a strong fabrication background, welding equipment, money and a way to move these things around, go for it. They do offer 45 degree steering, which may or may not rub as well.

wandering neurons

Interesting... The FMTV uses the Meritor 611 series axles with an 11.7" ring gear. The ones you found are the Meritor MX-810 series with same size ring gear. Similar specs but physically very different. You can see some info here: http://www.mhvsil.com/pdf/defence-axles/RF_611-Axles ss.pdf and here: http://graphicvillage.org/meritor/SP1644
My guess - and this is just a WAG - that the ring and pinion are probably the same, but the carrier and remainder are different.
If you could get the Spartan-based MRAP parts breakdown, you could compare that with the -24P for the LMTV and see if they're the same.
However - The time and expense to completely disassemble these center sections just to get the ring/pinion and reset them up on a different carrier may not be worth the trouble, even if these were free.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone tell me where in the TM it covers replacement of the front third member?

I must be 1078 TM challenged, but am not having much luck locating it..

Pointman

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-34-2 page 9-2 shows the Front Axle Assembly replacement. That's probably as good as you're going to get. Easier to replace as a unit then tearing down anything. Depot level maintenance might get into that.

Last edited:

deshet

I think you may be worried they dont have power for gears and tires.

the fact is, These motors feel gutless because they are wrapped wayyyy out of their powerband with too high a gear for hwy. my truck feels at 65mph, how it did at 45mph before. The shift points have smoothed out considerably. Like a real vehicle. Also 10-12mpg is a major bonus!
Is this reported mpg a one off or are most people seeing close to this?

My Landcruiser gets 14 MPG. My truck is getting about 60 on the GPS stock. I haven't figured out the mileage yet, but I know it is single digit.

Thanks

spankybear

Can anyone PM me Bryce's contact info? I don't play FaceBook (or LinkedIn, or any other social media). I'd like to ask him a few questions about the high speed gears. Thx
So is facebook the only way to get ahold of Bryce? I would like to get a set but I don't do facebook.....

coachgeo

So is facebook the only way to get ahold of Bryce? I would like to get a set but I don't do facebook.....
Yes...... and he is hitting the road ... if not already on it.... so hop to it. He also only does payments thru facebook. They are the best bang for the buck on credit card processing fee's for small biz owners.

fjdedrick

Yes...... and he is hitting the road ... if not already on it.... so hop to it. He also only does payments thru facebook. They are the best bang for the buck on credit card processing fee's for small biz owners.
What's his first and last name?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this reported mpg a one off or are most people seeing close to this?
My Landcruiser gets 14 MPG. My truck is getting about 60 on the GPS stock. I haven't figured out the mileage yet, but I know it is single digit.
That is not very typical. 5-7 MPG is a more realistic expectation. (Army thinks so too... truck has a 58 gallon tank designed to let it go 300 miles, so simple math.)

scottmandu

10mpg with the 6.14 final drive ratio at 60 is about right. However crank up the speed to 74 and you are back at 7-8 mpg.

spankybear

Well shoot... no face book and this is the only way to get a hold of him? and facebook is the only way to pay... what happened to cash?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks