• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV legality issue?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice thread. I only noticed a modicum of advice that's out and out illegal. (I'm pretty sure in every state.)

DH is correct, why get legal advice from a website? There was so much information about insurance we stopped the posts and clearly said you are on your own. Registration questions are approaching the same level.

Liberty Ship

I just left a Nevada DMV office in Las Vegas. I own a 1997 LMTV. I have the Florida title issued to Iron Planet, and it has been signed over to me. However, Nevada DMV refuses to issue a new title in my name, as they say that "we got an email that says these are off-road vehicles". Kind of f'ed here at the moment. Help!!!!!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just left a Nevada DMV office in Las Vegas. I own a 1997 LMTV. I have the Florida title issued to Iron Planet, and it has been signed over to me. However, Nevada DMV refuses to issue a new title in my name, as they say that "we got an email that says these are off-road vehicles". Kind of f'ed here at the moment. Help!!!!!

They think it's a hmmwv.....

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DMV is confusing your LMTV with the HMMWVs! You will have to convince them they are mistaken somehow. Go to a different DMV office? Talk to a different girl?

Silvrzuki77

Did you go to the Sahara office? What lets them decide its offroad use only? Did they have something in writing or just some BS? I would start contacting Carson city about the issue.

Keep us updated!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86m1028

Having a SF-97 does not guarantee it will be registered , it just provides proof it was legally bought from the U.S. Government.

Thank you for pointing this out as I have numerous times.
I am so tired of threads getting locked on this forum because someone mentions title & Humvee they think registration.

Once again sf-97 or title = proof of OWNERSHIP !

REGISTRATION = fee for type of use, i.e. ON ROAD, OFFROAD ect.

Back on topic.

My guess is BAE is saying you can't walk in & buy a new MILITARY version of their truck.

Last edited:

Chief_919

After talking a little more to the guy with 2012 BAE MTV, I think I understand what the deal is even though he sees different. He stated he had alot of difficulty buying the truck from Global Xpedition Vehicles and then went straight to BAE. He tried asking if he could buy newer military BAE MTV with the Cummings motor and thats when the stated he would not be allowed to operate (as a civilian) it with in N america. Hence maybe the federal law thing he was talking about? Cant see how BAE would have any say whats soo ever on any Stewart and Stevenson FMTV's sold especially with the sf-97. Local DMV inspector stated there would be zero issues and has seen one FMTV come through soo far.
Here is the deal.

Trucks sold to the government get a national security exemption from emissions, DOT requirements, crash tests and a bunch of other stuff. Those exemptions follow the truck for life even after sold to civilian users.

BAE can sell a truck to the military who can turn around and sell it to you and its legal. But if BAE wanted to sell you the same truck direct they couldn't, then they would have to comply with every law regarding emissions, safety and the rest. And the truck may even be built in a way that complies, but the hassle and bureacratic nightmare BAE would have to do to prove it and get it documented isn't worthwhile for one or a few sales a year.

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
???? Sorry, just saw this. That clerk was in error; the email was most likely meant for HMMWVs. Did you ask to see a copy of the email? Did you ask for a supervisor to come over and explain the details of the supposed email? Which DMV office did you go to?

Only HMMWVs are supposed to be titled for off-road use only.... everything else can be titled just fine. I had no issues with my Florida-titled M920, and even registered it as a Classic Vehicle since it more than met the criteria.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Try a rural office. Usually they are very nice and willing to try crazy things to get stuff done for yah.
I see this advice all the time on the web. Can someone explain to me how this works?

Doesn't every county only have one DMV? I live in Barrow County. If I go to the Barrow County DMV and they refuse me, I can't just drive over the adjacent DMV in Jackson County, can I? Won't they just tell me to go to Barrow because that's where I live and where the vehicles are registered?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see this advice all the time on the web. Can someone explain to me how this works?

Doesn't every county only have one DMV?
Harris County (Houston TX) has 4.3 million people. That would be one long line at just one DMV.

Silvrzuki77

Clark county NV (Las Vegas) has 7 offices within the county. Rural areas are less busy and happier people in general!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
County tax offices handle vehicle registration in TX and there are usually several satelite offices scattered around each county.

I went in to register my M1082 trailer this week and timed it. Twenty-two minutes from when I walked in the door to when I walked out. That was being 3rd in line with only 1 teller working and she had to call Austin because she had never done a FMV registration before. What was even better is that the tag for my trailer is consecutive to my tag for the truck :)

IMG_4609.jpg

Last edited:

sargentwolf

the state's offices are all tied into one central office\data center. usually, the more rural you go, the less number of people use that office. therefor, the workers are less busy and everyone knows each other so they are nice to everyone.

in rural areas, yes, one office per county usually. but in cities, there are usually one per every several thousand people

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clark county NV (Las Vegas) has 7 offices within the county. Rural areas are less busy and happier people in general!
I've had very good experiences at both the East Sahara office as well as the North Decatur office. Only once have I had to get a supervisor involved, that was because the clerk helping me had added an extra digit to the VIN & had to get the title re-issued. Another time, when titling a 1960 M105 trailer with only a 5-digit VIN (!!!), that VIN # came up as stolen out of California, but on a totally different vehicle...there were also about a dozen other classic vehicles with the same VIN # issued around the same time frame, so with my VIN inspection sheet already completed & signed off, it was obvious that it wasn't already previously titled nor stolen.

If you're very patient and friendly with DMV folks, they're usually happy to interact with you...they mostly deal with unhappy & rude folks all day, so a smile and friendly chit-chat tends to go a long way with these folks.

That said, if you go over to Nye County and try to register your vehicle in one of their offices with a Las Vegas address & nothing to tie you into the Pahrump Valley (or other Nye locations), they've been known to turn you away.

scottmandu

Some states won't process an SF-97. However there is a workaround, just get a title from a state that does accept an SF97 and then transfer it to a non SF97 state. This is why gov planet offers a Florida title as an option for a title document.

sargentwolf

Just make sure before you try to title it that you don't need a notarized bill of sale. Iron planet charges an extra $25 for that. Florida doesn't require it....found out the hard way

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks