• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Transmission Replacement

h1x2

Yes I know him. It’s all base scrap. And he does get good stuff. I looked at the eBay listing pics it looks like it’s been installed. reman trans are mint. And the shipping crate looks pretty mint. When you get it see if the serial number on the crate plate matches the trans serial. If they don’t match then it’s a take out and the one that was originally in the crate was installed.
The crate doesn’t match the trans. Wonder what Allison would charge to check/test it. They have a trans dyno. Really hope I didn’t buy a $4000 POS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The crate doesn’t match the trans. Wonder what Allison would charge to check/test it. They have a trans dyno. Really hope I didn’t buy a $4000 POS

If the crate dosnt match the trans then the new one went in and the old one went in the crate and was scrapped. Where Austin fished it out and put it on eBay. I’ve seen new and reman trans before and I can tell you all the ones he has are neither.

h1x2

If the crate dosnt match the trans then the new one went in and the old one went in the crate and was scrapped. Where Austin fished it out and put it on eBay. I’ve seen new and reman trans before and I can tell you all the ones he has are neither.
Great. Guess I’ll send it to Allison first. This sucks

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in the same boat concerning the transmission issue last year...pieces parts of the C6 clutch pack bearings/races were found on the drain plug and scavenger pump filter... tranny was toast for sure.. my options ?.. buy a pot luck transmission that may last 10 miles or 10 years and hopefully it would "be compatible" for $5k...plus installation.. the TMs show the install is very straight forward.. IF and that's IF you have the right equipment .. namely a transmission jack on steroids since the tranny/TC weigh nearly 2000 lbs... I was not willing to risk the pot luck tranny.. Alex Wilson hooked me up with MTP Drivetrain in Louisiana.... retran with 2 year warranty was @$11k delivered to Daytona CAT/RingPower.... no brainer for me. Daytona CAT did a super sano install, balanced the D/S , new Spicer 8 joints and a complete PM on the 3116..oh yes and used the rather pricey Transynd... done in 2 days (Spicer delay) cost @$4k... worth every damn cent ..20220713_105003.jpgimage.jpg

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully you didn't get screwed out of $4k and the tranny purchased is not the take out like Will stated... if the seller of the bad tranny makes good on a refund and a MTP Drivetrain retran is a viable alternative . D'Mara Hansen is the point of contact.. MTP needs a 30 day lead in time.. GOOD LUCK

20210819_092030.jpg

h1x2

Hopefully you didn't get screwed out of $4k and the tranny purchased is not the take out like Will stated... if the seller of the bad tranny makes good on a refund and a MTP Drivetrain retran is a viable alternative . D'Mara Hansen is the point of contact.. MTP needs a 30 day lead in time.. GOOD LUCK

View attachment 874345
Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure Beltfed isn’t gonna take this trans back. I called the Allison dealer and I’m going to drop the trans off next week to have them look at it. Guess I should have done more research ahead of buying this one. The worst part is the guy that sold it knew the trans was junk but didn’t say anything. There were a lot of clues but I didn’t put it all together till after the sale.

Live and learn…again.

Either way I need to get this running before the snow flys. How bad are these in the snow when they’re stock. No lockers or anything. Was hoping they’re decent if I air down.

Green Mountain Boys

Either way I need to get this running before the snow flys. How bad are these in the snow when they’re stock. No lockers or anything. Was hoping they’re decent if I air down.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/how-do-you-make-a-lmtv-not-suck-in-the-snow.206857/

This is not a short answer so I posted a link to a discussion on the subject.

The rubber is hard on the stock tires and no sipes so lowering the tire pressure is a must if you are driving on paved, plowed roads. If you are driving in deep snow and cold temperatures then I have found it to be quite capable.

h1x2

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/how-do-you-make-a-lmtv-not-suck-in-the-snow.206857/

This is not a short answer so I posted a link to a discussion on the subject.

The rubber is hard on the stock tires and no sipes so lowering the tire pressure is a must if you are driving on paved, plowed roads. If you are driving in deep snow and cold temperatures then I have found it to be quite capable.
Thanks. I’ll read up on that thread.

Ronmar

That’s what I wanted to hear. Stock? No lockers or anything?

Yep stock goodyear MVTs@55PSI, no weight on the back either(cab and chassis). This was basically offroad on my property thru snowbanks from my own snowplowing. 12-16” average depth and 30” snowbanks it went thru like they weren't even there. Havnt done any snowy highway with it yet

coachgeo

before you go to an allison transmission place... I would go to a place that repairs big rig trucks that has an Allison certified employee whom they assign their transmission work too. Offer your services to help get parts #'s an maybe parts.. since the Transfercase is a-typical to most allison certitifed folk while the trans side is ........ pretty much a plain ol Allison and they will recognize it as such.

good parts place (no private party sells; only to shops unfortunately) is https://www.allisontransmissionpart.com/ he treated me real damn good before going wholesale only.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried the same approach at Orlando Allison.. $550 low boy transport (each way @50 miles) .. after the service manager said * if it's got an Allison , we can fix it".. 2 weeks later those sh*tbags did not do anything... the truck just sat there. $1100 down the toilet .. needless to say contact the service manager , should you go that route, and make damn sure they work on something other than garbage trucks and city buses..

good parts place (no private party sells; only to shops unfortunately) is https://www.allisontransmissionpart.com/ he treated me real damn good before going wholesale only.
[/QUOTE]

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info.

Pretty sure Beltfed isn’t gonna take this trans back. I called the Allison dealer and I’m going to drop the trans off next week to have them look at it. Guess I should have done more research ahead of buying this one. The worst part is the guy that sold it knew the trans was junk but didn’t say anything. There were a lot of clues but I didn’t put it all together till after the sale.

Live and learn…again.

Curious why
You think the previous owner knew there was a problem?

I know Matt well, and have helped him troubleshoot a lot of things-a trans issue never came up. Ever.

everclimb9

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info.

Live and learn…again.

Hey Grant, I assure you I never knew the trans to be bad. I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. I did change the transmission fluid to Transynd along with filters and I did that because of the cold Chicago winters. I plowed snow with my M1078A1 and changing to Transynd was a little extra insurance. The last thing I want to do is make you feel like I screwed you. I messaged you to see how the drive home was and you said, "all good, it actually drives pretty nice." A week later you messaged that the trans was overheating and I thought maybe it had air in the system from the trans flushes. The longest trip I ever did with that truck was 100 miles and not once did the Trans overheat. I sent you my cell # in the middle of my move out of state and haven't heard anything. I am still here to help, hopefully the prognosis is good from Inland. Please call me if you need anything from me
PS I am running a locker in the rear axle of my LMTV. World of difference in the snow.
Thanks for the info.

Live and learn…again.

Hey Grant, I promise I never knew the trans to be bad in that truck! I am at a loss as how you came to that conclusion. I did change the transmission fluid to Transynd along with 3 flushes and new filters. I did this not because something was wrong. I did it on my M1078A1 3 years ago. Transynd is better for the cold Chicago winters and I noticed a difference snowplowing with my 1078 vs the 10W40 so I decided to do the M1089. I loved that wrecker and hated to see it go. I reached out to you to see how the drive home was. You said, "all good, it actually drives pretty nice." Then, a week later you reached out saying the trans was overheating. I said it could be an air pocket in the aux cooler and then offered my cell phone number since I was in the middle of a big move. I have yet to hear anything. The longest trip I took in that truck was probably 100 miles and not once did the Trans overheat. I am really curious what Inland has to say, I don't know how I could know the trans was bad when I never had any issues! They’re aren't alot of M1089A1's in civilian hands and this community is pretty small. I will do what I can to help, just let me know.
PS I have a locker in the rear of my 1078. It makes a world of difference in the snow.

Ned81

I bought a “nos” door handle from beltfed on eBay. It was clearly broken in the bag. He said he didn’t know but I have my doubts. I wouldn’t buy anything from him again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks