• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV with Shelter, which model?

DanM7890

Cant be any worse than driving a van truck with that thing in the bed. You will want to sand, seal and paint that before dropping it in. And you will want some type of solar powered air circulation.
Thanks for the heads up I have been doing a lot of research figuring out what I'm going to need. My focus right now is to get the M1081 running because I've had NO time with everything going on lately. :/

DanM7890

So I have a ton of extra panels I could use to redo the inside. My question is what's the best way to remove the current wall paneling. I wasn't sure how it was attached to the aluminum braces. I want to make sure all the holes are patched before I work on the interior.

DrillerSurplus

s-280 shelter dimensional drawing

So I have a ton of extra panels I could use to redo the inside. My question is what's the best way to remove the current wall paneling. I wasn't sure how it was attached to the aluminum braces. I want to make sure all the holes are patched before I work on the interior.
Here is a dimensional drawing for the S-280 shelter that may be useful. Unfortunately it doesn't specify how panels are attached to structural pieces.
The TM-10-5411-206-14 has some detail about procedures for repairs but also seems pretty vague on how panels are originally attached.

View attachment s-280_demil_12ft.pdfView attachment TM-10-5411-206-14 S-280 SHIELDED 1993.pdf

DanM7890

Well I know have (3) S-280 enclosures. I found a nicer one I will be using that is prewired. The box above will be for sale and is still on the trailer if you're interested, PM me. I will post pictures of the new box later.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan, I may have missed it in earlier posts. Are you going to have some sort of system for removing the shelter? It would be cool to have a way to lift slightly and drive out from underneath. This would give you your cargo truck back for days when you need to haul.

DanM7890

I would love to have a system, but am not sure yet. As of right now I would have to take my trailer to work and use the forklift to take it off the truck and back onto the trailer.

KEN2

I have 1082 trailer and just bought s-280 shelter. think I will take skids off and bolt straight to trailer to lower it a little. found and trying to buy crunched camper for parts.
Have you doing anything yet? looking for advice... Thankss-280 camper.jpg

matthewd

I have 1082 trailer and just bought s-280 shelter. think I will take skids off and bolt straight to trailer to lower it a little. found and trying to buy crunched camper for parts.
Have you doing anything yet? looking for advice... ThanksView attachment 698870
i would say skip the bed and get a japanese bed, you can just roll it up or hang it outside when youre not sleeping and save almost 50% space ,

Hermannator

FCCFED18-5C8E-4BE4-8194-C38EB11C7490-200-0000004AC1A57E46.jpgIMG_2210.jpgB15EA83B-7517-461E-BE89-E1C831D07D14-200-0000004A435D0A31.jpegWork in progress. 1. I used standard lift cables with adjustable turnbuckles to attach the box since the kits I bought were actually for dollies not the LMTV. 2. I plan to transfer my ACS Box from the LMTV trailer to my bolster trailer. Lower height and easier to pull with other trucks.

Hermannator

Page 25 of the S280 TM shows the lifting cables and the single lift point. Depending how tall your shop ceiling is, an overhead lift would be the easiest. I have a 5 ton hand crane in the shop which allows me to lift them up , drive out and lower whenever I need.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Page 25 of the S280 TM shows the lifting cables and the single lift point. Depending how tall your shop ceiling is, an overhead lift would be the easiest. I have a 5 ton hand crane in the shop which allows me to lift them up , drive out and lower whenever I need.
I'd like to see pictures of that setup (the hand crane in the shop).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks