• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMV Plate Bill Introduced in Illinois

Ma Duce

OK guys, bill is posted to the senate transportation committee, we could get a hearing as early as next week.

The Secretary of State office, is talking about having them meet FMVSS, when i explained the exemption issue, they said, that's only for fedral law, not our state law.

So who has the AG letter and can help me out on the exemption issue?

Last edited:

Ma Duce

Met with the SoS liasion today. Not good. But a trip to the head of their legislative office was helpful and got a call from one of their lawyers late today. They are ok with the reduced plate fees. They would like a little tighter definition of FMV so they dont have the register self propelled arty.

I told him to work on a definition and we can find some reasonable agreement so we are off to a decent start

Last edited:

Ma Duce

Talked to the SoS lawyer again, looks like we have an agreement.

Also had contact witht he Governor's office and they were concerned about the loss of revenue to the Road Fund, but after explaining the limited use most guys use on these trucks, it's a hobby, an adicitive Hobby , but a hobby, they seemed ok with it.

Any luck it will come out of committee Tuesday afternoon.

and this is for Wreckerkman:

Attachments

Last edited:

ryan77

Im glad some one has the patience to deal with this dysfunctional state! Ive meet the governor in person several times the last one who is going to prison was a lot easier to talk to in person!! Im looking forward to the plate! Will they be od green?

Ma Duce

we left the design up to the SoS. Didn't want to get into mircromanaging it on them. just wanted to get a reduced plate that didn't have AV restrictions on it.

Ma Duce

Jesse did serve in the 101st in WWII. But beyond that, he leaves a lot to be desired on a number of issues.

But his office is co-operating on this and I thank them for that. They and I have had run ins over other issues and I have known some of them for almost 20 years. So I get to talk to them in a nicer, but different way, and they listen and have been very accomidating.

Ma Duce

Ok an update on things, seems we kicked over a hornets nest of sorts.

We got an agreement with the SoS. But then IDOT came in and was all upset, talking about this being a diversion of road fund money as they would not be getting the $$$ from the full price of plates.

They estimated that if 1000 trucks did not pay the $2950 for a semi-tractor plate, they would loose $1 million annually.

Now we can all say bull**** to the numbers that they came up with, but if they start screaming Road Fund diversions, the contractors, unions and others will come down and this things goes nipples up in a hurry.

Senator Jacobs was good at arranging a meeting with IDOT to which they brought pictures of a PLS with trailer unit and a gross weight of over 88,000.

After a while of haggeling, they asked for two additional plate catigories and fees.

The agreement we came to is 4 plate catogories for trucks.

under 26,000 $100
26,001 - 45,000 $150
45,001 - 65,000 $500
65,000 and over $1000

This means that if you have a 915, you will save $1950 on a plate. the first two catagories take about 90% of the hobby in to account. If you have a duece, you will save $177 a year. If you have a 900 series 5 ton, you'll save $813 a year.

These fees are also cheaper than a milage plate on a semi by I think about $700.

They didn't mess with the trailer plates at all.

And we didn't get any restrictions on useage. So you could make one a daily driver and not be out of the plate.

Not where I had hoped to be, but it's still a fair deal over all.

We go to committee next week for our hearing and what I think will come out as an agreed bill with no opposition. The truckers assn are all on board, and with IDOT and SOS ok with the bill it should fly.

We'll know more next week.

ryan77

Thank you for dealing with this! I deal with the Union's, contractors, Builders, etc at work! You must have a big bottle of Tylenol for the massive headaches!!!!

DieselBob

Sounds like a good deal. I commend you for the ability to put up with the ins and outs of dealing with the politicians. I wouldn't mind a $100 for a plate that would allow me to use my deuce as much as I wanted and for anything except commercial.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AWESOME!! THANK YOU Ma Duce! WHooooooo!:jumpin: Just read the thread and I commend you Sir! Please keep us informed and let me know if there is anything I can do to be of assistance!:popcorn: (I have extra ibuprofen if you need some) THANKS AGAIN![thumbzup]

GOD BLESS!
Tony:-D

flyxpl

Just in time , I considered not plating my A3 and letting it sit a year to get some projects done . It gets expensive to drive less than 1000 miles a year.

THANK YOU !

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just earned the class B CDL for Illinois this morning......and they did not offer a "non-commercial" class B. You'll need to chose one of the four "types".....and for me , the non-medical, interstate was the most applicable (occasional use)...type II. The others limit your use to intrastate, needing medical certification as a professional driver.

The only downside with the class B is if you receive a moving violation in your family car.....they are all reported, no "class" to have it removed.

Ma Duce

O guys, was told by the senate staffer that our bill got added to the agreed bill list to be passed out of committee. Its for all the non-controversail bills.

Mind you, plate bills never get outmof committees cause the cops hate new plates. So we sold this as a registration bill. So I got called to another committee, and we will see the committee report in the AM. It should be on the web after they read the report in during session.

With no opposition, its sheep tending at this point......

Todd

Ma Duce

The was reported out of committee on a vote of 11-0.

Now on the senate calendar for second reading, they will take it up when they come back from the break after the primary on the 20th

It is an agreed bill, so it should move fairly easily

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your continued effort on our behalf! Thank you also for keeping us informed upon the Bills progress! Really have the fingers crossed for this one!
God bless,
Tony

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks