• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMV Plate Bill Introduced in Illinois

saddamsnightmare

March 7th, 2012.

:beer:

I almost makes me want to bring the deuce from Texas! Nah, life on an urban lot with a deuce, trailer, Unimog and jeep ain't gonna be good.... But I do hope you can get it passed!fat lady sings

Ma Duce

Quick update as I talked to the chairman of the House committee this would normally go to who dislikes new plate bills. but, he understands this is more than just a plate bill, it alsomdeals with registration fees.

He has agreed not to kill the bill. But, I am going to try and get it assigned to a different committee once it passes the Senate just to hedge our bets.

The legislature is out for the next week and will return after the primary on the 21st. It should come out of the senate by the end of the month and we will go from there. With a little TLC and manegement it should be smooth sailing.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wondering if you know, best case, how long before the plate would be a reality? I'm working on buying a duece and will wait for these plates before buying AV plates.
Thanks, John

Ma Duce

Should be Jan 1 2013. The SoS will need a couple of months to get their stuff in order, forms, rules and such.

So passage by may, Gov could sign it in Aug, effective date 1 Jan. So by a commecail plate pro-rated for the summer, last two quarters, then switch plates in Jan.

That is what I plan on Doing in getting my bobber done. Run D plates on it till january then change them over.

Ma Duce

Today the bill was moved from Second to Third reading. It will voted on next wee by the full senate.

At this point it has no opposition, but if you live in Illinois, it wouldn't hurt to call your senator and ask them to support the bill. Just a few phone calls can make a differance.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent news!!! After reading "This becomes effective immediately upon becoming law"..........potential time frame? I'm just about to register/license my M817 at 44k GVW ......and the type P plates are a bundle!!! Should I hold off?

Ma Duce

If everyting goes as planned it will be voted on in the house the first week of may. They have 30 days to send it to the governor and he has 60 days to sign or veto it. So some time in august would be my guess

Ma Duce

Ok the bill is now in the House and on the calendar.

Rep. Costello was going to pick it up for me, but was a bit slow and Rep. Winters got to it first. He has a love for WWII re-enactors and such he has already lined up several co-sponsors.

(Rep. Dave Winters - David Harris - Jim Sacia - Al Riley - Charles E. Jefferson

We are trying to get it to a good committee so it doesn't die, and will line up more co-sponsors. They are out for the next two weeks so drop your rep a quick call and ask them to support the bill and sign on as a co-sponsor.

We should be able to get get this done in early May.

Last edited:

Ma Duce

Bill has come out of the house rules committee and is now scbeduled for a hearing next week in the State Government committee in the House.

Working the bill i think it will pass, but calls to committee members won't hurt.

You can find the committee here:

Illinois General Assembly - House Committee Members

You can also fill out a witness sip on line to be read into the record
If you do, just check record of appearance only, you need not be there.

Ma Duce

The bill just passed the State Government Committee unanamously.

It will be reported to the clerk tommorow, and eliglebile for a floor vote next week. I don't anticipate any problems from here on out. Today was a big hurdel, and we cleared it easily.

Ma Duce

a little more on the committee and stuff.

The committee has four dems onit that are considered targets. Meaning they will be targeted by the republicans this fall. As is the norm, anything that looks or smells like a fee increase they all vote no on.

The Chairman hates new plate bills. Illinois has more types of license plates than any other state. And they have ben trying to slow that down. So getting passed the Chairman was a job, but it was explained that this was to get them out of paying commercial truck rates, and the best way to do that was to take them out and give them a seperate plate.

Along with the pictures of trucks he got it and we pitched it as a fee reduction bill on registrations, not a plate bill.

He then alerted me to the fact that the staff analisys was calling it a new plate and portraying it as a new fee so he would let it be heard, but might not vote for it unless we really needed the vote to get it out of committee.

I met with staff, and pointed out the fee reductions, noting that it did not increase fees, but in fact cut them. By $2000 for a vehicle going over 65,000 GVWR. and the trailer plate reductions.

They changed their analisys. I then spoke with the committee staff and they told me about the targets being pulled off. I explained the fee reductions and he said he would take it back up the food chain.

The math at this point was simple. We needed 10 votes to get out of committee. Our sponsor, worked the republican members on the floor during session, while I saw them at their office. We had 6 plus I saw two dems that would vote with us. So if we got all 8 repubs, and the two dems were in committee, we had the votes.

Made contact with the last two repubs on cell phone and was looking good. before the start of the committee, I spoke with two more Chicago dems and they said they would help out.

Committee staff came in and told the the target watch that was placed on the bill had been removed so it should be clear sailing. two of the targets had said they wanted to vote for the bill.

Dave Winters the sponsor, explained the bill and the fee reductions. their is a big re-enactment that happens in his district outside of rockford every uear and he thinks it cool so I wanted to help out and made the pitch. I was there to answer questions. We were set to roll with the vote and no questions until Major General (ret) Rep. Dave Harris wanted to ask a question. Di I happen to own one of these vehicles?

Yes a M35A3 duece and a half was my responce. He then tried to explain a duce tot he committee, during which I held up my ipad with a picture of my truck on it.

The bill then passed on an attendance roll call with all voting for the bill.

it is now on second reading in the house and with no further amendments, we hope to get a vote on it next week or the week after. Depending on when they get to that order of business on the calendar. With no state agency opposing us, and no other types of opposition, I predict it will pass with over 100 votes (there are 118 in the House).

Getting the chairman to agree to calling the bill, and getting the state agencies off our backs has made the rest easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks