• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMV Plate Bill Introduced in Illinois

RCFlyguy

I am new to the forum. I stumbled upon this thread just as a matter of happenstance. I was in a parade yesterday and some woman shouted out to me: "You, know, Illinois now has military vehicle plates!". So when I got home I did some searching and found this.

Anyway, thanks Ma Deuce for all the work you have put in to make this happen. It turns out I'm just up the road from you (ever heard of Millbrook?).

I own a 1952 Willys M38 (1/4 ton Jeep...I'm kinda like a fish among whales here). My only concern with the current law is that it would actually cost me MORE to register it under the military vehicle plates, since my gross weight is only about 3500 lbs. To register under the expanded-use antique vehicle plates, it would cost me $51 per year. With the FMV laws, it would cost me $100 per year. I think I will still pay the extra $ to get the cool plates.

Has anyone else registered a Jeep under the FMV plate laws? I'd be interested to get some feedback.

Oh, and by the way, here is a picture of my Jeep. Happy belated birthday America!!!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am new to the forum. I stumbled upon this thread just as a matter of happenstance. I was in a parade yesterday and some woman shouted out to me: "You, know, Illinois now has military vehicle plates!". So when I got home I did some searching and found this.

Anyway, thanks Ma Deuce for all the work you have put in to make this happen. It turns out I'm just up the road from you (ever heard of Millbrook?).

I own a 1952 Willys M38 (1/4 ton Jeep...I'm kinda like a fish among whales here). My only concern with the current law is that it would actually cost me MORE to register it under the military vehicle plates, since my gross weight is only about 3500 lbs. To register under the expanded-use antique vehicle plates, it would cost me $51 per year. With the FMV laws, it would cost me $100 per year. I think I will still pay the extra $ to get the cool plates.

Has anyone else registered a Jeep under the FMV plate laws? I'd be interested to get some feedback.

Oh, and by the way, here is a picture of my Jeep. Happy belated birthday America!!!
Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:
I'm kinda shocked :shock: that someone with such a cool Jeep [thumbzup] hadn't yet been an active member here.
Anywaze.... W E L C O M E ! ! !

Flingarrows

Im just south of you in Seneca, and drive through Millbrook when I go to north Yorkville. Great looking jeep there. Mine has a bunch more work before it looks that good. I have the fmv plates on my M715

RCFlyguy

Also, has anyone had any experience with driving an MV without plates at all? I currently only have a plate on the back (even that is only Jerry-rigged on...and blocking my markings :-x). I have no practical place to put a plate on the front...it was never meant to have civilian plates. I don't dare drill holes in my bumper.

With antique vehicle plates, you are allowed to have year of manufacture plates on your vehicle. These plates arent valid and dont mean anything, so its almost like driving without plates at all. My excuse will be "my bumperette/bumper unit markings are my year of manufacture plates". I guess we will see how it goes.

Last edited:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah yes, the great state of Illinois. Received letter today from S.O.S. that I would have to pay 590.00 for an h plate. Uhhhmmmm, never requested an "h" plate. Requested an FMV plate for me deuce! ARGH! I copied all pertinent info from said letter and mailed it to Mr. McGath via the web address listed in this thread. I DID get my FMV plates for my trailers, along with their titles, but nothin for the Raven Deuce. Only took em two months to contact me too! (they're getting better!) From what I have read here, I have confidence in Mr. McGath and his abilities to get this done! Cross your fingers for me! LOL

God bless,
Tony

Last edited:

ryan77

I finally got my title from gl for the 923a1 last week! Only took 6 weeks! Im going over to the sos on tues or weds! Hopefully it will go smooth.!

Roo

I received my FMV plats today.

20130810_001.jpg

Looks like I will also be talking to Mr. McGath.

I wonder how big the fine would be for running those plats on a M923.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there was ONE truck in the motor pool, Illinois could screw up the convoy! LOL WOW, how much did that "fmv" plate cost you, Roo? Keep me informed Ryan on how it goes, know you have contacts, soooooo

God bless,
Tony

Roo

The cost was several emails, some phone calls, a couple of trips to a SOS facility, and $150.

Mr. McGath explained to the people at the SOS facility how to fill out the paperwork and enter it in the computer. He did this over the phone while I waited. My guess is that when the paperwork got to the next step a little smoke came out of the persons ears when they saw FMV thinking someone screwed up. After the smoke cleared thy decided to stamp out the only plate they knew cost $150, after all FMV must stand for Farm Motor Vehicle.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrighty then, I shot off an e-mail Saturday to Mr. McGath. By 0900 Monday, I had a reply! (is that amazing or what?) Gave me explicit instructions on what to do and where to send and HE would take care of the situation. I am GREATLY impressed! Heck, can't get that type of service from a LOT of business owners and this gentleman is a government employee. Kudos and cheers for Mr. McGath! I will have information in the mail to him tomorrow. Raised my spirits today! Wasn't a great day, took wife to ER for severe pains and numbness in left arm. We hope it is something as simple as nerve inflammation. They have her on a purty heavy dose of pain meds are we are awaiting an MRI. Soo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THANK YOU Mr. McGath!

Appreciate your prayers for Aly
God bless,
Tony

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrighty then, I shot off an e-mail Saturday to Mr. McGath. By 0900 Monday, I had a reply! (is that amazing or what?) Gave me explicit instructions on what to do and where to send and HE would take care of the situation. I am GREATLY impressed! Heck, can't get that type of service from a LOT of business owners and this gentleman is a government employee. Kudos and cheers for Mr. McGath! I will have information in the mail to him tomorrow. Raised my spirits today! Wasn't a great day, took wife to ER for severe pains and numbness in left arm. We hope it is something as simple as nerve inflammation. They have her on a purty heavy dose of pain meds are we are awaiting an MRI. Soo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THANK YOU Mr. McGath!

Appreciate your prayers for Aly
God bless,
Tony
Tony,
That's good news about your plates.
We will lift your wife up in our prayers for her perfect and prompt healing and pain relief.
John

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, mailed my application and check to Mr. McGath yesterday. He had them this morning. E-mailed me that they had arrived, that he had processed them, and was mailing out my registration and plate TODAY! HOLY MOLY! (are we sure he works for the government?!?!?!) E-mail was courteous and concise. Offered further assistance as may be required for future transactions! Yeahhhhhhh! He even apologized for any inconvenience! (It wasn't his fault though) I will write him an e-mail and express my gratitude. I am amazed! After months of waiting, ONE DAY! Whhhoooohooooo! Will post pic when they arrive! I am offering major Kudos and high-fives for Mr. McGath! He is definitely a "can do" troop! I, for one, am impressed!

God bless,
Tony

ryan77

I will try and get to the dmv next week between work and coaching football this season i have no time for anything!!

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Ma Deuce!!!! You made this happen for all of us!!

I went and applied for the the FMV plates today and completed the process. The Libertyville DMV is now a "christened" FMV plate issuing facility (after 2nd try). When I went in, they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, nor had ever hear of any FMV plate. Luckily, I took the following printed e-mail with me this time:

Thanks for your inquiry. The application is available at the Libertyville DMV. It is the standard VSD-190, or “blue and white” application that is the standard application used for a variety of transactions. I can mail to you one of these, or you can pick one up at the Libertyville DMV.

Do you currently have a title for the vehicle in your name? If so, you will be doing a “plates only” transaction and that can be handled at Libertyville. It is processed just like any other specialty plate and the Libertyville DMV rec’d a memo on how to handle these requests.

Do you currently have a plate on the XM817? If so, then a $29 switch fee is assessed as well as the plate fee of $100 for vehicles under 26,000 lbs.

Please let me know how you would like to handle. If Libertyville still contends that they have no knowledge of this plate type, please have them call me at my number below. They can and should process your request.

Thank you.

Dan McGath
Office of the Secretary of State
Vehicle Services Department
217/558-6148

The DMV called Dan's office, they instructed the processor how to fill out the application, enter it into the computer, and issue a temporary plate on the spot. I believe his name was Dale Greco (as any one else will likely have no idea).

This is a HUGE savings for us all. My renewal for P plates would of been over $1500!! So I waited.....and it is now $150!!

Thank you to all who worked on this!!

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone apply for and receive the FMV Trailer plate? I know its more expensive than the regular trailer plate but I am curious if they actually exist.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks