• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found 50cal brass dated 2006 in my M923 truck when I was cleaning out the cab...?

Gunzy

Trust me, it's a M923 with a "wet kit". Boyce equipment has had several. The military usually isn't going to add or remove equipment like that. It's too labor intensive. Now that's not to say they haven't just that it is not the normal thing.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Could have also been a 923 that got a replacement transmission from a winch truck variant. Sometimes they just install what they have laying around. (Proven by LDS's dropped into Deuces, NHC-250's dropped into A2 trucks, exc.)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have lots of .223/5.56 cases in several of my MVs! I know how they got there though...

TacticalDoc

I think it was military brass because its 50 cal and not many people shoot 50cal out of a 5 ton truck, Also its Lake City which is one of the brands the military uses. Anyway, it was a cool find and I will keep it. It only has 44K miles on it so I think its in great shape. I put some TLC into it and now it looks great. Glad I picked it up.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not saying it is, not saying it isn't. But it's more typical to see spent brass with crimped primers in the military. Of course if this was a marine truck, there's the possibility that it was a hand load .50 for a barrett or some other precision rifle. But typically MG food comes with crimped primers.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it's dated 1990. Here is a photo of LC .50 brass dated 07, and from the orientation of the LC and the 07 it appears yours is 90. However, since ammo can stay in the supply system for many, many years yours could have been in service much later than 1990.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
As stated above that is dated 1990, doubt if it was there since 1990, while I was in I know we often shot older stocks of ammo. It would make a neat necklace:D lots of guys reload that stuff it is quality brass.
Yup, my first trip to Korea (1973) we were firing 50cal ammo from the 50's. Of course I'm sure it had been checked/tested etc. Never had any real issues with it.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M903/M963 SLAP/T has only been around since the mid to late 80s and is probably produced is much less quantity than ball or AP so I'd bet there is a smaller stockpile and it gets rotated faster.

A lot of the ammo stocks we've had for decades has been used and replaced during our combined 20 years at war since 2002.