• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found some metal in my engine oil, help!

Mt_Man

Well I did an engine oil change on my deuce and found this at the bottom of the bucket I used for the front drain plug. I am wondering if anyone has seen this before. Some mechanic friends think it is from something in the accessory drive or something.

20150624_121035.jpg

Other engine stats. Depot rebuilt motor 1996 continental ltd-465d. Swapped in may 2013 and put about 16k miles it since. Runs, power, and sounds fine but has erratic high oil pressure that was reading normally several hundred miles ago. Thought it was a sender/guage issues but having second thoughts. Also cut the oil fiters, spin on kit, and they had only a few fine ferrous metal shavings in them otherwise looked normal. No idea where they came from either.

Thanks for the help!! I have learned so much from this site thanks!

Mt_Man

well so got it apart and indeed the oil pump idler gear had failed. But I am wondering if the oil pump is supposed to be able to see the pump gears on the back side or is there a missing cover? Also looks like some kind of plunger that has impacted one of the oil tubes. Wonder if either of those things need to addressed or if it is normal?

20150713_182743.jpg20150713_182523.jpg20150713_180300.jpg20150713_180220.jpg20150713_180223.jpg

Thanks guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks